FJ62 Transmission not wanting to shift when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 1988 FJ62 last week. It has the A440F automatic transmission and it drove great for the 12 mile test drive. Now, when the transmission is cold and in 'D', It won't shift from 1st to 2nd unless I move the shifter to 2nd. When I do that, it bumps pretty hard into second. If I cruise for a few blocks(in 2nd) and then kick it up to 'D', it will shift to 3rd and OD. I have to repeat the above procedure until the tranny warms up, then I can leave it in 'D' forever. Also, when I go from park to reverse, there is a hesitation and then a hard bump when it goes in gear. Funny thing that it shifts great infinitely after that warmup time.

I've let it warm up in 'Park' for 15 min with no success.

What could be the problem? Solenoid? Valve? Sensor? Linkage? Vacuum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I'm a newbie to cruisers, trannys, and this bulletin board.

Thanks,
Leo in Mississippi

Re: FJ62 Transmission not wanting to shift when co

Hmmm. You don't say how many miles your cruiser has. Check the tranny fluid level and the quality of the fluid. It should be pink in color. Try replacing the fluid. These are some of the cheaper fixes. I've got an '89 FJ62 w/95K on it and it works flawlessly, even on minus 20 mornings. I know that the auto tranny is the weak point on the FJ62's. A lot of people say they're only good for about 200K, others say longer. Unfortunately, there's nothing cheap or easy with tranny problems. Good luck.

Try going to one of the "quick lube" places and have them do a back flush on the trans. pumping fluid backwards threw the trans until the fluid runs clean. atleast makes sure all the fluid is changed not just the stuff in the pan. :G

I had the exact same problem on my 89 FJ62. I recommend strongly against the flush thing. I have talked to several people that have made their problems on a high mileage 62 worse by doing that. Theory is that this can blow old seals that would be fine for a while without the pressure of the flush.

I solved mine by regurlarly carefully checking my fluid level. I have a leak between the transmission and transfer. If it gets the slightest bit low it presents the problems that you described. When the level is ok it shifts fine.

Remember to check it with the truck running. Check it cold by shifting through the gears right after you start the truck in the morning. Check it hot right after you have driven somewhere, with the truck in park and the engine running. If the problem presents itself after verifying the fluid level do a drain and re-fill on the transmission and clean the filter.

A good shop here in Jackson, MS is Furr Transmission off of County Line. They are familiar with TLC's and have been honest and fair dealing with me in all my experiences with them. Tell Mrs. Patsy that Greg with the Land Cruiser referred you.

:beer:

Greg

remember never to overfill it. It will just blow out your gaskets and you'll get leaks. How many miles? 88 fj62 w 201k and no tranny problems(just a few drips).

Sigh... unfortunately, the CLUNK you are hearing when shifting from D to R is a common problem. I had it in mine until last year. The problem is very likely that your tranny output shaft is worn on the splines. It probably looks something like this:

Splines2.jpg

There are 2 ways to fix it, one much cheaper than the other.

The expensive way is to drop the tranny and have the shaft replaced. This is very costly, as the entire tranny has to come apart.

The cheaper way is to order a replacement transfer case input gear from Jack McNamara Diffs, is Australia. Read about it here:

http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/driveshaft1.html

Replacing this gear requires tearing the transfer case apart, but it's a lot cheaper than the transmission rebuild.

GO with the fluid change first. My cruiser always shifts great after a change even at 185k. I just pulled my trany for and engine swap and it still worked great, just could not find the adapter to keep it. JL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom