FJ62 Tourqe Converter issues?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FL Fam, I’m still trouble shooting my lack of throttle response on my FJ62. The main symptoms I'm still experiencing are these:

1) When I hit the throttle from a dead stop, or at very low speed, the engine starts to shutter, RPM’s quickly dip for a few seconds.

2) Acceleration, in general, is poor.

3) MPG is extremely low. 5 miles to the gallon or less.

4) Im seeing some white vapor coming from the tail pile.......more than there should be.

4) When coasting downhill at low speed, I can hear a compression release puttering coming from the exhaust.

I am down to just two last corrective points as far as I can tell...........

A) I may have a blocked CAT. I plan to test a straight pipe on each of the two CAT's this weekend.

B) Some of my remaining symptoms also point to a possible Torque Converter failure. Dropping the transmission out for a test will require a Pro. What is he best test of the torque convert at a DIY level?

Any suggestions???

Thanks All!

Why do you think your torque converter is bad?

Here’s the couple things I’d suggest checking.
-Check your timing, this could cause your symptoms 1-3. I say this cause I pulled my distributor when I was replacing some stuff and tuned it but ear which was at 0 degrees apparently. But because of that I had bad mpg, a stutter, and poor acceleration. But also all parts of the ignition could cause symptoms like this, so maybe just give everything a check while in there.

-Inspect your exhaust, leave the car running and just run your hand about 2” from the pipes and check to see you feel a leak. I’d pull the cats out and make sure there nothing obviously wrong. Punch them out if you can and want to.

-Check your O2 sensors. If your having exhaust issues these could have gotten fouled or screwed up. Causing issues with your air fuel ratio.

Why do you think your torque converter is bad?
I don't have any reason to suspect the Torque converter , other than it's one of the last points I can think of. I checked with my mechanic over the weekend, on this point. He pulled the transmission out a couple months ago to replace the main seal. He replied that there isn't really anything to check, and that this Torque converter works as a pump, and it either works or it doesn't. I have ZERO experience working on auto transmission or Torque converters, so I figured it was worth asking about.

Last edited:
What other "corrective points" have you covered?

Have you done a valve adjustment? A compression test? Given what you've described, look at those issues, if you haven't already. White smoke can be an indicator of coolant in the combustion chamber.
The OP has another thread with all of the same issues. Got some good pointers from people. Curious if he’s exhausted all of them? FJ62 OEM inline 6pack, worth keeping?? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-oem-inline-6pack-worth-keeping.1243301/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom