fj62 to 60 headlight problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all, i'm new here and have a new to me '88 fj62. the problem:
my fj62 has the front clip off a 60 with round headlights, with the selector in high beam, the high beam indicator is on, but its the low beams that are on, and they are very low. the high beams work in the low beam position. the harness has the extra plugs ( 2 pin ) for the 2nd headlight on each side , just not being used. this is a 62 per the title and vin but the only thing power in it is the antenna. has 3fe and auto tranny with sway bar in the back. cruiser dan just let me in on the fact that it was a 60 front end as all 62's came with 4 headlights, and, outside of the fact that if its not wired wrong, the 2nd position of the switch is looking for a headlight thats not there. i was thinkin that it was a transition thing as it was actually manufactured in '87. other than that, its in great shape, no rust, runs great, have pulled panels and things are looking new. was not an abused vehicle. carfax showed it being in an accident in the spring of 2001, which is where the 60 front clip must have came from. i was aware of this before i bought it, but everything looked in very good shape.

any ideas??:confused:

Easy!

The situation is: the pins on round headlights are wired different than rectangular headlights.

First ignore the extra high beam connectors, they're just extra baggage now(or hook them to fog or driving lights that'll come on when you hit the highs)

Two ways to do this, rewire the stock plugs to work the round headlights

or

order the Hella adapters that are just plug and play......

They come with the rectangular H4 conversion headlights, I'm trying to come up with a part number for you. You can order it through anyone that carries Hella products, Auto Barn is one of the online suppliers.

still workin on the part number..............I'll be back

Ill swap ya front clips. You can have my 62 clip and ill take you 60 series clip....

Ok this is what I got...........my Hella instructions show Hella Part Number 8JA 003 385-001

it also shows how the wiring is different if you want to remove the wires from your connector and re-arrange them(cheaper & faster)

Cibie lens/reflectors are considered to be much better than Hella. Otherwise Jeffmo is right on.

thanks guys, i think i'll go with the harness, that sounds like it will take care of my low, low beams also, and thats going to have to wait because now i'm having a bit of a tie rod end issue. took it in for tires and alignment and one of the rod ends came apart.:censor:
thanks again

thanks jeffmo, all it took was swapping wire positions in the plug and all is good. i was getting confused about the 2nd plug, when the PO's put the 60 clip in they cut the 2nd headlight plug out, i found that when i opened up the harness downstream of the plugs. i don't know what the 2 pin plug i was looking at is for, will get that figured out when the FSM gets here and i have a schematic to look at.:cheers:

hey redcruiser, i looked at your thread and website. at that point i new i was making more out of my problem than there was, so i guess you could say that you gave me a push in the right direction.
dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom