FJ62 Steering line question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 88jf62. Just got my steering box rebuilt and bought a new steering pump, so i figure I'd replace the steering lines. Got them out unscathed and they look to be in pretty decent shape still. I do already have a Gates high pressure line (from PO) that I could replace it with, and I could easily put new rubber on the return line.

My question is, since the original lines still look to be in good shape, should I take those somewhere to get the hp hose replaced or use the Gates hp line that I have on hand?

I'm just about to install a new hp line that I bought from @ToyotaMatt ages ago (and "upgrading" to an 80 steering gear box). I don't have any experience with the Rock Auto/Gates hp line, but have used plenty of other parts from them. I would assume that they will be good to go.

When putting in a "new" gear box and ps pump, most things that I have read recommend changing out the hard lines. But, as with everything here on Mud, I am sure that some have re-used their hard lines with no problems.

I'm pinging @ToyotaMatt as he'll likely have some good advice for you.

I'm just about to install a new hp line that I bought from @ToyotaMatt ages ago (and "upgrading" to an 80 steering gear box). I don't have any experience with the Rock Auto/Gates hp line, but have used plenty of other parts from them. I would assume that they will be good to go.

When putting in a "new" gear box and ps pump, most things that I have read recommend changing out the hard lines. But, as with everything here on Mud, I am sure that some have re-used their hard lines with no problems.

I'm pinging @ToyotaMatt as he'll likely have some good advice for you.
Which 80 gear box did you go with? Do you have the part number or link? My old box is leaking and I'm looking to go this route as well.

The hard line and hose should come as one piece and be replaced as a single unit. Image of a Gates ps high pressure hose:

368900-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg

Which 80 gear box did you go with? Do you have the part number or link? My old box is leaking and I'm looking to go this route as well.
I went with this one:
It's a new steering gear with a 3 year warranty, BUT, I didn't know until after purchase, that it is Chinese made. That said, I didn't need to send in my core. So, I'll be rebuilding my 62 box as back-up.

I believe that you can use any 80 steering gear from introduction to '97, so the year doesn't matter too much.

A lot of folks on here on here use Red Head for rebuilds. I've never used them but they are supposed to be excellent.

The hard line and hose should come as one piece and be replaced as a single unit. Image of a Gates ps high pressure hose:

368900-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg
Yes, That's the gates ps hp hose/line that I have, as a back up, but I wanted to know if I should keep and install the original hard line(that runs under the radiator) and take it to a hose speciality store that can replace the high-pressure hoses.

I did find someone that can replace the hp hoses. It's there now getting the work done. Haven't installed it yet so I'm still interested in opinions.

Umm, I've got a 60 2f. the cooler line is not connected to the HP hose and there is no hose on the cooler line. If it's not rusting out i'd just live with it. As far as taking the hp hose/line to a shop to have them crimp a new hose...seems overkill to me and those guys that build high pressure brake lines for race cars are going to charge you a ton. My advise is don't bother. BUT....if you are some kind of concourse correct nut job with a mint truck that is 100 percent original, by all means go for it.

Unless your talking about the cooler lines that run under the radiator?

Umm, I've got a 60 2f. the cooler line is not connected to the HP hose and there is no hose on the cooler line. If it's not rusting out i'd just live with it. As far as taking the hp hose/line to a shop to have them crimp a new hose...seems overkill to me and those guys that build high pressure brake lines for race cars are going to charge you a ton. My advise is don't bother. BUT....if you are some kind of concourse correct nut job with a mint truck that is 100 percent original, by all means go for it.

the 62 series along with non US 60 series power steering pump is on the US passenger side of the engine,
the preasure line runs under the rad support to the steering box,
the return line is the cooler/return line to resevoir

I should've attached this in the initial post. No rust. Not bent out of normal. Took it out as careful as I could. Like I said, just wanna replace the rubber.

20230103_124015.jpg

Last edited:
I got a 88jf62. Just got my steering box rebuilt and bought a new steering pump, so i figure I'd replace the steering lines. Got them out unscathed and they look to be in pretty decent shape still. I do already have a Gates high pressure line (from PO) that I could replace it with, and I could easily put new rubber on the return line.

My question is, since the original lines still look to be in good shape, should I take those somewhere to get the hp hose replaced or use the Gates hp line that I have on hand?

you will be choosing poorly if you actually re-installed a 30+ year old HP P/S line assy ?

- having a 30+ year old one re-worked / rebuilt ? i don't know who or where would do such a thing , if you want to PAY the MAN a one time computerized mandrel bending and tracing set up fee , like i did from a good known OEM one years ago to bring my brand on to the table that's up to you ?

- i have no experience with the lowest common denominator parts quality option that rock auto offers mentioned above , when i reproduced both 3FE HP lines ROCK Auto did not offer either application 62 or 80 .....

- i saw the rock auto ones a while back , and will be out-foxing this topic in my usual SKUNK-WORKS fashion i have planned out prior to viewing this thread Nick tagged me on ,

- ALL future production runs of ALL my H/P lines are going to be updated to be in lock-step with my NEW and exciting SNOW VERSION in-house brand parts line up .........

STAINLESS STEEL heavy duty tough as nails , will be brought to the table on this topic , and is actually underway on my FJ40 and FJ60 H/P 2F P/S pressure feed lines ........

- catch me if you can made in china ROCK AUTO ...... :cool:

(  1.1) .1.jpg

TECH EXAMPLE TOPIC : IGRAM REEL heavy duty tough as nails SNOW VERSION has begun for the FJ62 windshield Washer Bottle .....
all things 80 series NON-USA far-away japan spec. OEM parts maker
ASMO 3-pump ports option windshield washer bottle is on the SNOW VERSION production bench now ...

Last edited:

Curious to where you got your steering box rebuilt? I am down in Tucson. I just put the OME lift on my 62 and had it aligned but it still drifts a little, I am thinking that it might be the steering.

Curious to where you got your steering box rebuilt? I am down in Tucson. I just put the OME lift on my 62 and had it aligned but it still drifts a little, I am thinking that it might be the steering.
Phoenix Rack and Axel Differential. Cost me $270. They had it done in one day. I was just about ready to mail it to Redman when my mechanic friend told me about them. It was leaking pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom