FJ62 RestoMod Frame-Off Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.c2motorsports.net
I have been a bit disorganized when it comes to my new project, and with there being multiple threads, with sporadic information, I wanted to organize all of the information into a single thread so I can keep track better....and hopefully also help others. I will also try to give credit to those companies and list members that I have "bugged" over the years, and in the future TIA.

I have spent countless hours reading threads and taking notes on all of the IMPRESSIVE BUILDS on this site. I have kept a log book with all of the ideas, and all of the dreams that I would like to incorporate into my build. I have been saving for a few years and have been fortunate enough to stash away a healthy budget for my build. I am not unrealistic in the amount of work that I have laid out. Since I am not under any time restraints, this could take a while; just warning the list that you may be following this thread for awhile :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

HISTORY: (brief) I owned an '84 FJ60 years ago, which burned up in a fire while wheeling.....
Fast forward, and I determined that I really liked that truck, and I wanted to get another one; so what does any sane Cruiserhead do, I ended up buying 7x of them over the past few years :eek:

After keeping the "best" of the bunch, and selling of the rest; I now have 1x FJ60 and 2x FJ62's.
Again, completely "sane" right?

GOAL: 1x completed resto/mod/upgrade/semi-Expo/semi-camp edition FJ6.TBD
With the leftover parts, I will build a 2nd FJ62. 100% OEM vehicle, Red with Grey Interior.

Below I will layout my General Plan, and will update along the way when/if things change. Currently the below parts have been purchased and are either en route, or sitting on the BUILD SHELF

BODYWORK:
The FJ62 that I have decided to use as the base to my build was originally from Texas, and the frame is in very good shape. The body is original and is not covered in filler. There is rust in the rear dog leg and rear 1/4 as you would imagine. I have purchased multiple sets of replacement panels, and had them shipped over from Germany (it was cheaper to get 5x sets than just the single set I needed; therefore, the remaining unused will be for sale). I have also purchased the Wolf Steel Restoration Panels as well

001117 WUSTENTAUGLICH.DE Radlauf HJ6 - 5x Sets (let me know if you need one)
001117 WUSTENTAUGLICH.DE Radlauf HJ6 - 5x Sets (let me know if you need one)
TLC5L2 WOLF STEEL Rear quarter panel repair including dog leg 1980-89
TLC5R2 WOLF STEEL Rear quarter panel repair including dog leg 1980-89

After bodywork has been completed, the truck will receive a complete respray: Color TBD
Interior will get Lizard Skin or equivalent, and then Dynamat
Undercarriage will be sprayed with Line X or equivalent

FRAME:
Sandblasted
Reinforced welded if necessary
Powder coated: satin black

AXLES:
Removed and rebuilt tip to tip
Powder coated: wrinkle black

SUSPENSION:
OME Medium Currently Installed

BRAKES:
FRONT: Wanted to upgrade to a better disc, but after reading I am not entirely convinced that the OEM FJ62 setup can be improved. Was going to purchase new parts all around and rebuild to stock specs. Unless otherwise am convinced of better.

REAR: wanted a rear disc, but after reading I am not entirely convinced that there is a good solid solution. Plan to rebuild/replace OEM rears. Unless otherwise am convinced of better.

MOTOR:
40k mile 5.3 Vortec
520-8501-5 JEGS HOOKER LS Cast Iron manifolds, Gray ceramic coat
868-8900 JEGS Stage 8 8900 Series Locking Header Bolts
760-66032 JEGS Alum exhaust gaskets
809-19212593 JEGS LS Muscle Car Oil Pan Kit: pan/tray/dipstick
154694 ROCKAUTO AC Delco Fan Clutch
1580692 ROCKAUTO AC Delco Fan Blade
Thanks to @FJ60Cam for answering all my PMs :wrench::flipoff2::wrench:

ECU/WIRING:
I will be doing the ECU programming and using the OEM GM wiring harness to adapt to my FJ62
DBW Pedal
AC: Yes
Cruise: Hope so !?!

COOLING:
Aluminum Radiator
Trans Cooler
PS Cooler
Oil Cooler

MISC ENGINE:

TRANSMISSION:
4L60e Automatic Transmission
625-COS64L60EBM Lokar 16" shifter for cable

TRANSFER:
OEM split with rebuild kit
Supplied by @orangefj45

ADAPTERS:
Downey (does that tell you how long I have been collecting parts)
Advanced Adapters

DIFFERENTIAL/OBA:
ARB Locker Front
ARB Locker Rear
Extremeaire Magnum
-misc relay/breaker/manifold/fittings
All parts spec'd and supplied by @orangefj45

WHEELS/TIRES:
12-670604 SUMMIT RACING Wheel Vintiques Series 12 16x7
The Tire Rack 4x BFG Mud-Terrain TA KM2 in LT255.85R16
Thanks to @scrapdaddy for answering all my questions :steer:

DUAL BATTERY SETUP:
TBD

FRONT BUMPER:
RLC WELDING AND FAB Local to me

FRONT BUMPER WINCH:
WARN ZEON Platinum 12: have not completed my research on this yet

REAR BUMPER:
RLC WELDING AND FAB Local to me

REAR WINCH:
TBD

LIGHTING:
Grille and Lighting Swap to FJ60 Rounds
Upgrade to LED/HID/???

INTERIOR:
Convert from electric to manual windows (less to break)
Carpet/Seats: This seems so far in the future, that I have not even begun to dream ;)

GAUGES:
Speedhut Gauges 5-1/2" Legends - Renegade - 4 in 1 Cluster

If anyone sees flaws or would like to challenge some of my ideas, please feel free to do so. I am fairly educated, but don't claim to know everything. I would also like to be upfront and say that I am building this FJ62 to be fun and well-equipped to do many things. I will probably NEVER go extreme-wheeling, or spend time trying to climb a pile of rocks ;), but I do plan to drive this once I am finished; I would like to take it camping, and some Expedition type of trips. Some of the things that I will do will 100% be considered overkill.....but I will be doing them anyways. I am located in Louisville, KY so if anyone is ever passing through, or would ever like to stop by and talk about things...I would try to make myself available.

Chris
C2

Last edited:
1989 FJ62 Bodywork:
Here are some pictures of what I am starting with, as well as some pictures of the rust repair areas; and the repair panels

frt.jpg

frt_dr.jpg

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

Last edited:
Vortec 5.3 Motor w/4L60e, FJ62 split case using AA adapters.
Adapters and Xfer have been assembled so that the motor can be mocked up ONLY and both the motor mounts and rear cross-member mounts can be fabricated. Then the motor/tranny/Xfer will be removed. The Xfer will be cleaned and reinstalled with the rebuild kit, at which time I will cut the shaft install the spud-shaft as required by the instructions.

IMG_6704.JPG

IMG_6705.JPG

Last edited:
Wheel Vintiques 16x7 and BFG MK2 LT255.85R16
I purchased a hubcap to see if I liked it, but it was too "moon shape" for the look I wanted. I will pursue FJ40 OE hubcaps, and try to find a way to add the clips for the hubcap.

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

IMG_6636.JPG

IMG_6638.JPG

Those wheels are killer!

If you want rear discs the best solution by far is the FZJ80 rear axle, with your shop I'd narrow it though.

Those wheels are killer!

If you want rear discs the best solution by far is the FZJ80 rear axle, with your shop I'd narrow it though.

I am trying to close a deal on an FZJ80 right now that a tree fell on ;)

Just some unsolicited advice since I have recently finished a similar engine swap on my 87 FJ60 (03 5.3 LS/NV4500). I found the best oil pan to use for max clearance is from a 2004 C5 Corvette. The GM "Muscle Car" pan was a bit too close to the drive shaft for my comfort level and the vette pan gained several inches of clearance.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Last edited:
I am trying to close a deal on an FZJ80 right now that a tree fell on ;)

I'll trade you an 80 axle already set up for an FJ62 for the frame/axles/suspension ;)

Really looking forward to watching this cruiser re-emerge to become something better than it ever was!!!!!!

A few more boxes of goodies will be headed your way tomorrow!

Thanks Chris!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Looking forward to your build.. I am also interested in the replacement panels.. What are you asking for them?

959020013399_ml.png

I have the following extras available
4x DS Repair Panel
4x PS Repair Panel

So how about $70ea for either panels?

chris
c2

Last edited:
8.4.15 Updates

Out with the OLD makes way for the NEW

Motor will be put into Clifford (RED FJ62), which will be then up for sale; If anyone is looking for a nice 62 Red on Grey, let me know; also have your choice of an Auto, or have all the parts to swap in a FJ60 manual ! ! !

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom