FJ62 rear heater switch - restore or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I remember several years ago there was a thread on restoring the graphics on switches that have been rubbed clean, but for the life of me I can't find it anymore. I've been trying to figure out a good way to restore them because that's the case with my rear heater switch. It operates perfectly, but the graphics have been completely worn away so it looks like just a blank switch. If I can restore it that would be great, or even if I could get a new switch (or at least rocker) with good graphics that I could put a little clear coat over to protect it, that'd be cool too.

Just one of those little niggling irritations that I've been wanting to fix for years.

Did anyone chime in with a fix - I have the same first-world concern!

Did anyone chime in with a fix - I have the same first-world concern!
Nothing for sure yet, but I came up with an idea to try. Haven't taken the chance to figure out if it'll work yet though.

@FJ6T can maybe chime in. i just bought some decals for my defrost switches from him. he’s not making them anymore but told me he was trying to pass the torch to another vendor. here’s the link to the thread you might be talking about.

I remember several years ago there was a thread on restoring the graphics on switches that have been rubbed clean, but for the life of me I can't find it anymore. I've been trying to figure out a good way to restore them because that's the case with my rear heater switch. It operates perfectly, but the graphics have been completely worn away so it looks like just a blank switch. If I can restore it that would be great, or even if I could get a new switch (or at least rocker) with good graphics that I could put a little clear coat over to protect it, that'd be cool too.

Just one of those little niggling irritations that I've been wanting to fix for years.

Guys, I printed the artwork onto vinyl stickers to the same size and look as the original. I have been selling them for $5 for about 6 to 8 of them including shipping. Let me add that I took this picture with my phone and the sticker looks better in real life (perhaps with my poor vision). I did tinker with the fit and I believe it looks good. Email me if you would like to have some timcsiegel@gmail.com

button with sticker.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, I printed the artwork onto vinyl stickers to the same size and look as the original. I have been selling them for $5 for about 6 to 8 of them including shipping. Let me add that I took this picture with my phone and the sticker looks better in real life (perhaps with my poor vision). I did tinker with the fit and I believe it looks good. Email me if you would like to have some timcsiegel@gmail.com

View attachment 2373190
This is EXACTLY the solution I had been looking into. Looks like you beat me to producing it!

Looks fantastic BTW. I'll support your effort! Sending an email right now....

So for anyone else's benefit (and to bring @timcsiegel a few more bucks to put into his Cruiser) I want to add my experience with his heater switch decals. In a word: Outstanding! The ones he sent me came in the mail today, and I already had my rear heater switch out so I went ahead and took care of it. I went one step further with making it look as best I could too, by pulling out the rocker itself, then cleaning it real good before applying a decal. The decals come uncut, and they're very flexible vinyl so you have to be careful to cut straight with a pair of scissors. I tried using my guillotine cutter (what? I like guillotines. Don't look at me like that) but the decals are so lightweight I got better results with good scissors. I cut slightly oversized so I could round the edges over a bit and make it look just that bit more factory.

To take the rocker out you just need to push the pin out with a 5/64" punch or the blunt end of a 5/64" drill bit. There are no springs to go flying in this one, since the rocker reaches back to a latching slide assembly and is held in position. I cleaned the rocker with a paper towel and some 91% isopropyl alcohol. Took me two tries to get a decal placed perfectly on the rocker (first one was close, but I misaligned and on these you only get one try on a decal, which makes it really great that he sends multiples), but the result is outstanding, and hopefully will last for the long term. These are similar to, but are a far better solution that what I had in mind.

RH 01.jpg

RH 02.jpg

RH 03.jpg

RH 04.jpg

One more pic to show it installed in its new location

RH 05.jpg

So for anyone else's benefit (and to bring @timcsiegel a few more bucks to put into his Cruiser) I want to add my experience with his heater switch decals. In a word: Outstanding! The ones he sent me came in the mail today, and I already had my rear heater switch out so I went ahead and took care of it. I went one step further with making it look as best I could too, by pulling out the rocker itself, then cleaning it real good before applying a decal. The decals come uncut, and they're very flexible vinyl so you have to be careful to cut straight with a pair of scissors. I tried using my guillotine cutter (what? I like guillotines. Don't look at me like that) but the decals are so lightweight I got better results with good scissors. I cut slightly oversized so I could round the edges over a bit and make it look just that bit more factory.

To take the rocker out you just need to push the pin out with a 5/64" punch or the blunt end of a 5/64" drill bit. There are no springs to go flying in this one, since the rocker reaches back to a latching slide assembly and is held in position. I cleaned the rocker with a paper towel and some 91% isopropyl alcohol. Took me two tries to get a decal placed perfectly on the rocker (first one was close, but I misaligned and on these you only get one try on a decal, which makes it really great that he sends multiples), but the result is outstanding, and hopefully will last for the long term. These are similar to, but are a far better solution that what I had in mind.

View attachment 2379647

View attachment 2379648

View attachment 2379649

View attachment 2379650

View attachment 2373190

SOLID work and also SOLID decal design and craftsmanship too TIM !

subscribed ........ :)

99.9% OEM factory !
:D

84372-90a00jpg.image.200x167.jpg

I received my stickers promptly and got a very good looking outcome (as above). I cut it oversize and fitted it around the factory switch, so it was nice to get the sheet with many images on it to allow some cutting freedom.

Thanks to Tim for doing this!

View attachment 2373190
Hi, are you still selling these stickers? Sent you a mesaage on your gmail. Thanks.

Hey Tim. I'm a buyer for these as well, just sent you an email. Do you have any stickers for the blinker and washer stalks as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom