FJ62 real time help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mongoose2231

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Gents, ladies, I have a friend who flew to Georgia to pick up a 62. Truck is clean, drives real nice but it has a bad transmission leak. I never owned an auto 60 so I really don't know what to tell him to look for. Any of you 62 owners are familiar with what may be the most common leaks with regards to the a440f?
He just made it into SC and pulled over cause he can smell it. He knew leaving there that there was a leak but didn't know it was that bad. He needs to make it to NY.
He says he cannot really identify where it's coming from.
Any advice would be helpful.

Have him buy a few (gallons?) of ATF at the next Autoparts store and keep a close eye on the dipstick. Top off as necessary during the trip. Deal with it properly when it arrives at its destination

Autoshifter should have idiot light for hot tranny fluid. He can keep an eye on it from cab as well.

Gents, ladies, I have a friend who flew to Georgia to pick up a 62. Truck is clean, drives real nice but it has a bad transmission leak. I never owned an auto 60 so I really don't know what to tell him to look for. Any of you 62 owners are familiar with what may be the most common leaks with regards to the a440f?
He just made it into SC and pulled over cause he can smell it. He knew leaving there that there was a leak but didn't know it was that bad. He needs to make it to NY.
He says he cannot really identify where it's coming from.
Any advice would be helpful.

mongoose If he is coming up Rt 85 I am 7 miles off exit 75 in SC. If he wants he can swing by and we can take a look at it.
Let me know

Last edited:
Where is this friend of yours now. He still in Georgia? Tell him he can give me a ring if he needs a hand 770-480-9193
:beer:

Last edited:
X2 on the cooler lines, they run together up along the trans to engine to cooler

mongoose If he is coming up Rt 85 I am 7 miles off exit 75 in SC. If he wants he can swing by and we can take a look at it.
Let me know
I will let him know.

Let me know
Hey Stan, could he pass by? He is at exit 60. Let me know if that is ok. Thanks.

Sure

111 Dozer Rd
Chesnee, SC 29323

Alex

Your buddy is on his way. Topped off the ATF and checked T-Case and rear axle levels. Lots of fluid just above rear output on the T-case and sprayed back (like most have seen) . I smelled ATF when he puled up. He stopped somewhere and tightened up the bolts on the pan, he said they were a bit on the loose side, so that may have been it. T-case was full, which seemed odd due to the amount of fluid sprayed underneath. He now knows where to check the fluids etc.

Ahh the excitement of driving an old vehicle from GA to NY! Nice couple. They are on their way to Gastonia, just outside Charlotte, for some food and lodging perhaps. Let me know how the rest of the trip goes.

Stan

Stan, thanks buddy...you put that man at ease! I was literally just typing as your message came through. Spoke to him on the phone. He will forever be thankful and myself as well for that matter. All the best to you and you wife!
Cheers bud, will report as he makes progress.
Thanks again.

Where is this friend of yours now. He still in Georgia? Tell him he can give me a ring if he needs a hand 770-480-9193
:beer:
Hey, thanks for offering to help! He was already out of Georgia. Things got sorted.
Cheers.

Looks like the t case is overfilling. He is in DC now. Pulled the plug and it was way too full. Do the autos have the same issue as the manuals where fluid migrates into the t case? Logic tells me yes. He is replacing the tcase fluid entirely and trying to make the last 200 somewhat miles home by this evening. Then, diagnosing and repairing as he sees fit.

I have heard about it happening with manuals, not with the automatics. I agree with you that logic dictates that the fluid has to be coming from the trans, explains the amount of fluid under the truck and the T-case still being full. Never crossed my mind that tranny fluid was migrating from an auto, my apologies. Also explains the tranny fluid smell when he pulled up. Sounds like a new rear seal is in order for the trans. Perhaps a T-case rebuild while it is apart would not hurt either.

My T case had ATF in it when I picked it up. The T case is actually suppose to have gear order in it. It’s suppose to be 2.1L of SAE 90. I use 80W-90 oil in it to keep it the same as the diffs.

And yes the Transmission can leak into the transfer case. It’s not an uncommon issue. Never had to deal with it myself, but there’s a couple of threads on here about it.

2CA4CA2F-2C15-4398-B63F-19583CC3A0CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Did he make it home alright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom