FJ62 LS/NV4500 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey!

I am currently building out a 1989 FJ62 and have a couple quick questions. I have an NV4500 out of a 92 chevy K3500, a 60 series transfer case and I am soon dropping in a 5.3 ls. I was wondering what flywheel, clutch pressure plate, bell housing, motor mounts and anything else I will need to drop the motor in and get everything mounted together. New to this so not too sure where to start. Thanks for the help!

C1C9CC14-87CE-4F94-B639-CBFBEEE37016.jpeg

Sell the 92 NV4500 and get a 95-up version with the later bolt pattern and internal slave cylinder provision. Much better then traditional clutch fork setup.
Clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and throwout bearing get all from 00-06 GM truck that came with a 6.0/NV4500 combo. All that is available new for about $600 for everything.

Mounts, buy mine. I also sell plug-in FJ62/nv4500 wiring.

Sell the 92 NV4500 and get a 95-up version with the later bolt pattern and internal slave cylinder provision. Much better then traditional clutch fork setup.
Clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and throwout bearing get all from 00-06 GM truck that came with a 6.0/NV4500 combo. All that is available new for about $600 for everything.

This guy knows his s*** when it comes to FJ62s and making changes/updates...

Oka

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Definitely could potentially do that. Just have a lot of money time and money rebuilding this transmission. but not out of the picture to switch. Would love to talk more to you about that.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Definitely could potentially do that. Just have a lot of money time and money rebuilding this transmission. but not out of the picture to switch. Would love to talk more to you about that.

Don't know your skill level or how much of it you did yourself (or desire to do again) but you can get the later case new and swap it... IIRC correctly reverse idler and associated parts need to be changed. I went through hell with this in 2016 converting a 92-95 GM version to a Dodge 23-spline LD version so it would work behind my 3FE and my doubler. When I went LS I just used a classic SBC aluminum bellhousing (really weak) and a LS/dodge adapter plate.
I have a new 00-06 bellhousing, internal slave, new front retainer, GM input etc all sitting on the shelf to swap in and update and simplify everything, hopefully in the next few months here.
All of it is documented in my build thread linked in my signature.

The 92-95 GM bellhousings with the lower passenger side location will majorly interfere with your driveshaft. Also, you should have no problem selling that Nv4500 to the rock crawler crowd since it has the 6.34:1 first gear (completely unnecessary in a 60 IMO, the 5.61 is plenty deep and there's plenty of T-case gearing options available if you want more)

The big thing I would like to see you avoid is the Cruiser slave cylinder. It just gets so tight in there with exhaust.

Another option, more expensive but also really good, is the Quicktime bellhousing that uses (IIRC) a Jeep Slave cylinder and fork, but mounted the opposing way. @Kleatus used this and it looks good.

@SNLC did a build last year that has probably the best pictures and example of exhaust routing on a V8 60. Personally I use the Summit manifolds that hug the motor a lot tighter

Last edited:
As @cruisermatt mentions I used the Quickdraw bellhousing. It's a beautiful piece and way meatier than any factory GM bell or the common AA piece. This setup uses a factory 6.0 flywheel and clutch, along with a TJ slave (you can see where the slave bolts in). I would do the same again, but I wouldn't use the favtory style self adjusting clutch. Something weird happened to mine. I am not 100% sure the root cause, but I did find the pushrod jam nut backed off and loose under the dash after it happened. "It" was a persistent scratching sound from the clutch, and the occasional "thump" in the clutch pedal. The springs on the self adjuster cams had contacted the clutch fork, and continue to do so. They're a big mangled up and sticking out. I intend to replace the clutch with a standard one in the near future.
20210716_171036.jpg

More details (not including above mentioned issue) in my thread here:

Thread 'The Honey Badger (Story/Build of my FJ62)' The Honey Badger (Story/Build of my FJ62) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-honey-badger-story-build-of-my-fj62.1240796/

20210716_171036.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom