FJ60 gets an EROD and NV4500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
I generally do build threads for bigger projects than just an engine and trans swap but why not? The owner of the Cruiser is cool with me posting this so away we go....

This is a pretty nice 1987 FJ60, its been off the road awhile and came to us with no engine. The owner had been eyeballing it for years before he was able to finally purchase it.

CB84934F-7506-4D32-ABD7-BBBA2068F3DB.jpeg

We went around about engines for a few months, an EROD was finally selected if crate form. From the beginning the owner wanted a manual trans and it really wasn’t up for much discussion. So we went with the NV4500.

Stock trans was still in it when it showed up at the shop so we pulled that and cleaned it a bit.

2AF5BCB8-14F2-4384-99EE-50316AE305AE.jpeg

We also cleaned the engine bay and frame rails, this was before we pulled a bunch of stuff out of our way.

9DFC974F-C69E-4291-9BF2-DD27449AEE2B.jpeg

The EROD goodness.

900AF46D-ECBF-4CE1-A07E-8282A83B36A8.jpeg

7A1E19BC-4836-45B0-BD43-0E1702168D68.jpeg

Not breaking any new ground here in this build but we are doing a few things different than most folks.

Cheers

Used the AA adapter, is there even another available? Little disappointed with a few things with the adapter but hey no worries. The tcase shifter adapter required mods and the clutch slave will as well. Besides that not to much dramas with the adapter kit.

Tcase was rebuilt to standard.

BDFFFBC0-7777-4BD7-89A8-49A454E7CDC9.jpeg

EF654799-847B-4198-BD64-AB33A08B7281.jpeg

91E26142-0D33-4A59-9A3C-7134438AF619.jpeg

Once that was done we did some more prep before stuffing the powertrain in.

340C5A3A-65FC-4228-AE01-4519321F764D.jpeg

EB26F25F-68C4-4A8D-ACA2-4E863BDDACB6.jpeg

Cheers

Last edited:
it seems like every Advance Adapter product always includes at least a little bit of disappointment in some way

Getting it set where we want.

BC39318E-DCE3-409D-B618-BE5006A077F2.jpeg

Like most of these swaps we built our own trans crossmember. We want to keep it as high as possible (same for trans & tcase). We also want to use the stock trans crossmember hanger brackets so we cut those off and moved them to suit the swap.

The crossmember is just roughed in right now, we will be adding a tcase skid to it as well.

6BE798C6-8395-4B4B-A371-B3E0AEF1A813.jpeg

04A88B81-4A41-4707-A3FA-ADDA6AEC8B74.jpeg

For engine mounts we selected 80-series on the frame side. The hard mount on the frame we cut off an 80 chassis, actual mounts are new OEM Toyota.

03F20F40-C629-4405-BFAE-CFDC65431B1E.jpeg

As of end of today engine mounts are not finalized but you can see they are coming around.

And that is where were are at so far.

Cheers

Last edited:
it seems like every Advance Adapter product always includes at least a little bit of disappointment in some way

True that. I have yet to be disappointed with a Marks adapter but hey they don’t make one for this combo.

Cheers

interesting choice on the motor mounts. Cool to see something new.

I have been contemplating using the 80 rubber engine mounts on the 80 i have here instead of the oem gm mounts the gm mounts have heat shealds witch i really like anyways always more ways to skin a cat. Looking good so far
Tommy

I have been contemplating using the 80 rubber engine mounts on the 80 i have here instead of the oem gm mounts the gm mounts have heat shealds witch i really like anyways always more ways to skin a cat. Looking good so far
Tommy
There is OEM heat shields for these just more old school plate style. I just didn’t have any and one of my supplies didn’t either. They are only about 1/8” thick so won’t mess with our placement and angles much to slip in later.

Cheers

Also we went with these for a few reasons.

I have pulled them out of 80’s with well over 300,000 miles. While toast they were not completely delaminated just cracked and hard as a rock. For this Cruiser, I see no reason these won’t deliver 200,000+ miles. I also dislike AA mounts or that style of mount a lot. Much prefer a “cradle” style mount vs a 90* mount. Also, leaf spring bushings make good mounts but have no where near the damping these do. Nothing wrong with GM mounts and you can even go gel filled or whatever they are. I like Toyota mounts myself.

Shouldn’t have a problem getting these for years and the trans mount while disappointing in the AA adapter is available anywhere in any auto parts store for $40. Like I say I much prefer Marks adapters that use a Cruiser trans mount but nobody makes a NV4500 to split case adapter besides AA.

Also did these for the cool factor. 😂😎

Cheers

I agree AA sucks donkey balls they really need to do more of something then saying we make it you deal with our problem on your end. I dont even wanna get in to their bs they are definitely lacking all in all. I may have to go with the gm style tho this build will have a truck intake no erod package. Not dogging your decision on motor mounts Toyota is proven to me has been for years.
Tommy

I'm putting an LS/NV4500 in my 62 now - using the Quick Draw bellhousing, so far a vastly better option than the AA bellhousing that I used in my 40. It catches all the LS bell holes including lower oil pan.
Uses an off the shelf Jeep TJ slave tucked up tight to the trans and all factory clutch parts including stock flywheel for a late model 6.0/5 speed Chevy truck. The AA bell on my 40 I had to get a custom flywheel and still had to screw around with different throw out bearings to get the release right...

They are advertising it a early NV pattern but it looks drilled for both and has a removable index ring for the earlier smaller bearing retainers.

It is 100% beef compared to the OEM GM bell or the AA piece.

20210601_173104.jpg

20210601_213606.jpg

20210601_213615.jpg

Really envy you DIY guys and talented mechanics. A transplant is in my future. How does this Motor compare with the Cummins R2.8? MPG wise? Power/Performance wise?

thanks

actually assembled in the States. Only the Blocks are machined in China.
If you are serious about spending the money, you need to drive both. Fly to someone who has each and is willing to let you take a ride. Next, see how long it takes you to get a few random parts for each by calling around locally and asking availability. I dunno, water pump, an injector, ecu, AC compressor, power steering pump? If you wouldn't plan to do the work yourself you might also ask the same of a repair shop in a random place you may someday travel to... you will then have some input based on your own driving assessment and real world serviceability, not conjecture from the internet.... and you will go with the V-8 😁

If you are serious about spending the money, you need to drive both. Fly to someone who has each and is willing to let you take a ride. Next, see how long it takes you to get a few random parts for each by calling around locally and asking availability. I dunno, water pump, an injector, ecu, AC compressor, power steering pump? If you wouldn't plan to do the work yourself you might also ask the same of a repair shop in a random place you may someday travel to... you will then have some input based on your own driving assessment and real world serviceability, not conjecture from the internet.... and you will go with the V-8 😁
whats the V-8 get for MPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom