FJ62 - List of Inspection Notes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! New member, long time lurker.

I've been an early Bronco driver for the past 11 years and have decided to move on to something a bit larger and slightly more family friendly.

I've found an 89 with 190k miles that I like. It's very clean and has been well taken care of -- at least cosmetically -- for the past 34 years. Original paint with a very clean, stock interior. I noted some minor surface rust on undercarriage, but didn't find any rust on sheet metal.

The seller gave me a list of inspection notes from their mechanic. Some of the things mentioned are:

fj62issues.png

With 190k on clock, I'm expecting it to need some work and I'm OK with that. Given this list, does anything stand out as a larger potential problem?

The goal is to for this to be my DD, but I WFH and don't drive much. I'm looking at weekend adventures, club trips, and mid-week errands.

Would love some feedback on the above.

Thanks and cheers!

Anthony

Big request. Perhaps start your research in the sticky maintenance FAQ sections by category, then get more specific with your questions .

Consider replacing fuel filter, check O2 sensors, and check throttle linkage for proper shifting.

Welcome. You'll find a ton of guys here with a ton of advice, but you'll kind of be expected to have done some homework. ;)

Mine is an 88. Around 180-190k I had to replace the radiator, fan clutch, belts, some hoses (they were starting to crack), lots of oil leaks like rear main is common which I fixed but some are coming back, adjust valves (compression before adjusting 150,180,90,150,180,110. After adjusting all 165-170), new power steering, new brake booster, and transmission rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt. Replaced water pump and drive belts, AC changed over and recharged. new plugs and wires. fluids change on everything. replaced fuel injectors, front knuckle rebuilds. throttle cable and transmission cable. The biggest cost out of the above items is the transmission rebuild, transfer case rebuild, and the fuel injectors.

It is a 35 year old vehicle so expect to start replacing things. Mine has been running great since the refresh. Also to find one without rust is ideal. Everything else is a fairly easy fix.

Last edited:
your laundry list of observations seems legit; nothing really off-putting. the AT on these trucks can be iffy and are 100 percent less fun than a 5-speed. You state you are from the old bronco world so we assume you know about replacing/fixing old/broken parts. Does it pass emission tests in California?

... lots of oil leaks like rear main is common...

Thanks for that. I have found a few other posts on this but I don't yet understand the effort involved to fix it.

Considering the different trucks I've looked at, this is the first time a seller has given me a list of mechanical issues. I'm not sure of the effort involved to do the repairs. Am I looking at a routine $1500 repair or a weeks long $15K+ repair? I would be ok with either, but I would have to take this into consideration when coming up with an offer.

If you're a mechanic and I brought this list to you, what would you quote me?

Searching for "burnt steering fluid" yielded no results, however, I would guess if something is burnt, there's overheating. My guess -- based on previous homework, hat tip @LCnAZ ;) -- would be a faulty pump. On my Bronco, the fuel pump is easy to access and swap. On an FJ62, I believe it's in the tank? On the Bronco, pulling the tank is probably easier than assembling IKEA furniture and the only thing in the tank is the sending unit. An easy repair for someone with a few tools.

My plan is to wrench on whatever truck I get -- starting small and working my way up -- but when I bring one home, I would like a mechanic to get me to a reasonable starting point.

your laundry list of observations seems legit; nothing really off-putting. the AT on these trucks can be iffy and are 100 percent less fun than a 5-speed. You state you are from the old bronco world so we assume you know about replacing/fixing old/broken parts. Does it pass emission tests in California?

The biggest thing I did to the Bronco was pulling off the front end and replacing the C-bushings. The hardest thing about that wasn't swapping parts but getting it dialed in to prevent Bronco Lean. I can follow instructions, but lack depth of experience for fine tuning and knowing what to expect when taking on a task.

Fortunately, the FJ62 passed a smog check. The seller is a dealer and said he had to get it smogged before he could sell it.

Hi! New member, long time lurker.

I've been an early Bronco driver for the past 11 years and have decided to move on to something a bit larger and slightly more family friendly.

I've found an 89 with 190k miles that I like. It's very clean and has been well taken care of -- at least cosmetically -- for the past 34 years. Original paint with a very clean, stock interior. I noted some minor surface rust on undercarriage, but didn't find any rust on sheet metal.

The seller gave me a list of inspection notes from their mechanic. Some of the things mentioned are:

fj62issues.png

With 190k on clock, I'm expecting it to need some work and I'm OK with that. Given this list, does anything stand out as a larger potential problem?

The goal is to for this to be my DD, but I WFH and don't drive much. I'm looking at weekend adventures, club trips, and mid-week errands.

Would love some feedback on the above.

Thanks and cheers!

Anthony

Differential hubs??? I guess the mechanic is unfamiliar with the knuckle set up on 60 series. Sounds like a new knuckle job is needed.

New transfer case lines going into it. The only line going to the transfer case is the speedometer cable, so not sure what lines the "mechanic" is seeing here.

Rear main seal leaking. Probably not. It could be a leak at the rear of the valve cover or more likely the oil pan gasket.

Looks like my earlier replies are still waiting for mod approval.

In the meantime, here's the FJ62 I test drove. None of the listings mention mileage.

Based on earlier theads (10+ years), Copley had a bit of a reputation, but Pat was very friendly and responsive to my emails, though he admitted Toyota's weren't really his thing. Makes sense when you trade in vintage Ferraris most of the time. I did tell him I thought he was overpriced and that other FJs in his price range were much lower mileage vehicles.

Examples:
87K miles - 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-135/
70K miles - 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-103/
67K miles - 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-84/
30K miles - 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-71/

The last email I received suggested that maybe this FJ wasn't for me. Fair enough.

It was clean considering the mileage, though I'm not sure if mileage is all that important. A friend mentioned that certain parts age out regardless of mileage.

I may make an offer anyway. Worst that can happen is I keep looking.

Differential hubs??? I guess the mechanic is unfamiliar with the knuckle set up on 60 series. Sounds like a new knuckle job is needed.

New transfer case lines going into it. The only line going to the transfer case is the speedometer cable, so not sure what lines the "mechanic" is seeing here.

Rear main seal leaking. Probably not. It could be a leak at the rear of the valve cover or more likely the oil pan gasket.

This is mentioned over on the Corsetti blog but in the context of an FJ60. I'm guessing the same sentiment would apply to the FJ62?

The_top_5_seals_that_leak_on_a_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_FJ60_2023-03-30_11-16-42.png

At that price it should be flawless...... The list of mechanicals you gave is more like a 20-30k car.

A new power steering pump and replace having shop do it is about $800. Front main seal timing cover is about $630 shop price. Valves adjusted and seal on valve cover is about $320 shop price. Just some prices for you. This is what I paid to have some of these things done. Front knuckle rebuild is done on the forum all the time. Some are not hard to do.

Last edited:
You really need to preface here that this is a 62 with an asking price of $70k. I saw your mechanic reports and was thinking "no big deal". But for $70k. F that.
Market has softened quite a bit since those BAT auctions, and even at that, the truck you are shopping has 190k on the clock!

Yeah I will sell you mine for 75k and it has everything already replaced and sorted and has 195k on the odometer. That price is ridiculous.

Yes, at that price there are some cream-puffs around. You just have to find it. No need to buy a bag of trouble. Value/price paid is in the eye/wallet of the beholder/buyer. But the buyer usually really knows the vehicle and its value. I can absolutely see a cream-puff going for that kind of price. Mine's not for sale. :D

Search some of the build threads here and see what restorations look like and what all was done.

I would certainly get a compression and leak back test done on any vehicle considered to see where the engine is. In fact, a seller with a high price tag better be providing that with a mechanic to verify it.

You really need to preface here that this is a 62 with an asking price of $70k. I saw your mechanic reports and was thinking "no big deal". But for $70k. F that.
Market has softened quite a bit since those BAT auctions, and even at that, the truck you are shopping has 190k on the clock!

Thanks. I was hesitant to mention the asking price and wanted to keep this focused on the mechanical function of the truck. Being from the Bronco world, I get it when someone new comes into a forum all hyped on an an overpriced truck. Long-term members roll their eyes. The noob gets the treatment and soon disappears for parts unknown.

Anyhow, yes, the truck is overpriced. I mentioned it in my last email to the seller. Don't get me wrong, I really like the truck. My wife likes the truck. We're just not going to pay $70k for it. I'm also not expecting to get a deal. I'm down to pay a fair price. Those BaT auctions were how I was justifying his price being too high.

Whatever truck I get, I'm planning to keep it for the long term. I don't buy things to joyride for a season then sell it.

Thanks. I was hesitant to mention the asking price and wanted to keep this focused on the mechanical function of the truck. Being from the Bronco world, I get it when someone new comes into a forum all hyped on an an overpriced truck. Long-term members roll their eyes. The noob gets the treatment and soon disappears for parts unknown.

Anyhow, yes, the truck is overpriced. I mentioned it in my last email to the seller. Don't get me wrong, I really like the truck. My wife likes the truck. We're just not going to pay $70k for it. I'm also not expecting to get a deal. I'm down to pay a fair price. Those BaT auctions were how I was justifying his price being too high.

Whatever truck I get, I'm planning to keep it for the long term. I don't buy things to joyride for a season then sell it.
I paid $27k for my 62 in Nov 2021. Pretty peak COVID pricing. Here are some pics from when I got it. Curious if you see justification for $43k more than mine for the one you are looking at:
Imgur Photos

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Overpriced. The oil leaks that baby has will be very costly to fix. Not too many mechanics want to work on these trucks, at least not for a bargain. I would look elsewhere.

I would certainly get a compression and leak back test done on any vehicle considered to see where the engine is. In fact, a seller with a high price tag better be providing that with a mechanic to verify it.

Good to know. I've been going through the mechanics threads trying to find shops that are local to me and/or whatever truck I find, asking about pre-sale inspections and such. I found a couple, sent a few DMs, and am waiting to hear back.

I paid $27k for my 62 in Nov 2021. Pretty peak COVID pricing. Here are some pics from when I got it. Curious if you see justification for $43k more than mine for the one you are looking at:

From the photos, no real justification at all. If it was on the market, I'd definitely make you an offer. The only thing I'd change is to swap the 33s for 31s ;)

I'm curious how many miles are on it and what would be a realistic price if it was available?

From the photos, no real justification at all. If it was on the market, I'd definitely make you an offer. The only thing I'd change is to swap the 33s for 31s ;)

I'm curious how many miles are on it and what would be a realistic price if it was available?
I'm sorry, what did you wanna do with the perfect stance a set of 33s and a 2-3" lift gives? ;)

My rig currently has 148k miles on it. Pricing is tough on old cruisers. I would venture to guess that a poll of MUD members would value my truck anywhere between $15k and $45k. I will say this: I would not sell for a price starting with 5, 6, or 7. Put that truck out of your mind - seller is crazy.

I will say this: I would not sell for a price starting with 5, 6, or 7. Put that truck out of your mind - seller is crazy.
Perhaps you meant you would not buy at price starting at 5, 6, or 7? I could certainly see a seller pricing at those starting points if the vehicle was in exceptionally fine condition and he could find a buyer who found it met his/her requirements/desires. Supply and demand is in play.

But with regards to this specific truck that @4nthony is shopping, I would agree that it is over-priced. He just needs to find the Cruiser selling by the "little old lady from Pasadena" who's garaged it for ages...or it is in great, restored condition. Yes, tall order.

Perhaps you meant you would not buy at price starting at 5, 6, or 7? I could certainly see a seller pricing at those starting points if the vehicle was in exceptionally fine condition and he could find a buyer who found it met his/her requirements/desires. Supply and demand is in play.

But with regards to this specific truck that @4nthony is shopping, I would agree that it is over-priced. He just needs to find the Cruiser selling by the "little old lady from Pasadena" who's garaged it for ages...or it is in great, restored condition. Yes, tall order.
He was asking what my specific rig would list for. Honestly if I needed to sell I'd ask $45k and see what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom