FJ62 Hot Start Only Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

So ever since I replaced the fuel pump on my FJ-62, I have have had a significant issue with hot starting. After sitting for hours, or at the beginning of the day, it cold starts fine. However, if I turn it off, even after 5 minutes, I have quite a but of trouble restarting it. The engine turns over - and over - and over, but it doesn't start. Sometimes, I'll keep trying on and off for 10-15 minutes before it eventually starts again. Sometimes, I will drain the battery before it starts.

I've seen previous posts on the subject, and folks say change the starter. As far as I know, the starter is stock. Perhaps I have worn it out recently when try to start it when the fuel pump was bad. I just don't see what else it could be - sparkplugs are new, gas is flowing, and there shouldnt be anything wrong with the air. Only other thing could be electrical issues, but again, it starts right up when its cold.

Any chance it could be a fuel injector issue? I am afraid I don't know enough about the engine to make an educated guess.

In regards to getting a replacement starter, I have read that I need to avoid remanufactured aftermarket starters because they are s***ty. Any recomendations for what I should get? I don't think Mean Green makes any starters for the 3FE? Any other upgraded starters for the 3FE available?

Thanks for your help. I am still a rookie at being a Land Cruiser owner, but if I am gonna justify keeping it around, I have to get it to a point where it is more reliable. I appreciate ANY advice you guys can give me!

If it cranks quickly, there's no need to replace the starter. Often, the only 'rebuild' a Toyota starter needs is a new set of contacts for the solenoid. If you crank it extensively, you will eventually overheat/fry your starter, too, so you need to fix this.

Back to your hot-start problem, can you tell if it's starved for fuel or flooding? Have you sniffed the tailpipe after attempting to start, to see if it smells like raw gas? Also, you're going to have to check the fuel pressure while cranking, at some point.

Mean green makes a starter for the 3fe. I've had one for years and it's worked fine all these years. I then rebuilt my old starter and now keep it as a spare. SteveH is correct about the new contacts for rebuilding the starters. It's a one :banana: job. Hardest thing was removing the starter.

From your description it is not your starter. They either turn the engine over or they don't., and it sounds as if yours does.

Try pulling the fuel line after the fuel filter...crank it and see if you are pumping fuel or not. ( do this with the disconnected fuel line in a bucket or jar.)

John

Classic sign of a failed fuel pressure regulator. Replace it and your truck will start easily hot and cold.

Thank for the help so far. It definitely sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Come to think of it, my mechanic had to replace some of the fuel line when he replaced the fuel pump - and I do occasionaly smell gas while driving. Perhaps I have a leak in my fuel line, a bad regulator, or both are contributing to inconsistent fuel pressure.

I am currently in Afghanistan right now, but sounds like a good R&R project for when I get home. I can't imagine replacing the fuel line or the regulator would be terribly difficult - not like replacing the fuel pump was. After I get this fixed, then its off to fixing the schizo electrical issues - my guess is a badly wired amp, a dying alternator, or both.

Update: Got a new FPR and installed it per the FSM... starts every time, no problems! Thanks for the help from this rookie!

I'm having this same issue and I replaced the fpr with a used from crusier parts and no different. I think my cold start injector is constantly pushing fuel. Any thoughts?

I'm having this same issue and I replaced the fpr with a used from crusier parts and no different. I think my cold start injector is constantly pushing fuel. Any thoughts?

Yeah, I wouldn't trust a used FPR. Since you installed a questionable used part you can't rule out the FPR as the issue.

They state they test all parts are up to speck but it was just a test or part Oma gonna get one of those jap parts that's like230

It's also intermittent which leads me to believe it's edit her a sensor going bad, a bad connection, or the injector is going bad so I'm going to completely rebuild the tstat housing with all new sensors and put in a new cold start injector. They are all original and need replacing anyway. Only issue is one sensor u can't get and I'm not sure it will come out of the old tstat housing for the new one and I could be wrong but as I understand it the fpr could be part of the problem but if it's bad it's bad and let's too much fuel through all the time.

Or a work around to make a different one work? I do not want to have to engine swap cause I love the 3fe and the low rpms mean it will run till the earth is consumed my would be demoged engine if I can fix this crap. I'm at my whits end of messing with this

They state they test all parts are up to speck but it was just a test or part Oma gonna get one of those jap parts that's like230
Go rent the fuel pressure test kit from Autozone and check your fuel pressure specs. If you are not getting sufficient pressure at the specified times, the FPR could be the problem. You could have also gotten a DOA pump, it happens. Get hard numbers on fuel presure before you start throwing parts at it and talk about engine swaps :).

I was just venting about the swap this is just infuriating. But that's a great idea I will. Where do u attach the test on a 3 fe? At the fpr? I know my compression is fine. Well for a 26 year old truck. I'm putting that under the ant broke category. And when it's not having the issue it purs like a chain smoking kitten like it should. This fuel issue is the only problem not that I fixed the one heating issue.

Also my timer switch is broken off and stuck in the housing I couldn't get it out for feet of bending or breaking it. Some people say this int good but isn't a huge deal and some think it causes tons of problems

have you downloaded the 3fe engine manual? >>> For Sale: - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price. DL the FSM and go to the EFI pages. you will find TS specs and flow charts for ALL OF THESE sensors and switches, how to test them, and so on. It is easy to get into the mindset of replace it all, but that is not what mechanics do- they find out what is wrong and fix IT. you could be looking at one of the temp sensors that controls the VSV for the FPR. it could be the wiring that goes between the two, or the VSV itself acting intermittently. just, don't think that by buying a bunch of new stuff you'll solve your issue. you're gunna have to nail it down, or just get a new car...tossing parts at a problem is a sure fire way to get fed-up. step back, read some more and you'll get it worked out, just don't panic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom