FJ62 high idle back with a vengeance. Update, new mystery, 2nd update. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had this problem on my Toyota pickup. Drove me crazy for months. It was worn out parts on the back of the gas pedal. Next time it's at high idle, lift the pedal up and see if the idle drops.

Doubt it's a vacuum leak. In my experience a vacuum leak on a 3FE results in low idle. For example if you pull the oil cap on the valve cover while the engine is running it will set up a vacuum leak that will really make the engine stumble.
That's been my experience so far as well. This seems to be just the opposite if it is indeed a vacuum leak.

On non turbo efi cars I’ve seen vac leaks cause low rpm and stumble but also racing engines. Seems to be dependent on where and how big.

but definitely different than how a carb and vac leak act

Took Tb apart and cleaned again. Blew out vacuum lines just in case. Installed and calibrated the TPS, retested, still good. Took ISC off again, still cleaned, but cleaned again. Ohms were to spec, still could get not consistent movement, at least not visibly. Even adjusted the bump stop so the butterfly would close a smidgen tighter.
Put her all back together. Fires right up, 700rpm idle. Hit the gas and idle comes back to rest at 1k. Blip the gas again, just barely and she comes back to 700. I can sit and repeat this 20 times, in fact I did it 7 times with the same results. Goose her for a few moments like driving speed and she never settles back to normal idle, always high until I tap the throttle.
Throttle cable it a-okay, pedal is a-okay. I don't know wtf. I am hoping someone else has a similar problem though I would not wish it on anyone.

I did, but not since this latest incident. I will do that again this week for sure. I need to take out stock in TB gaskets. This is one of those frustrating things to try and chase down.
I cut my own TB gaskets, it's not hard to do, you can get gasket material at any auto parts store.

Have you checked the dashpot function/adjustment?

It sounds like it's hanging up some where between the the butterfly and the peddle. It often something stupid an simple. Disconnect it and see. I love these old Toyotas because of this.

i’ve been having almost the exact same issue on my chevelle with a sniper installed. my throttle cable is getting hung up just a little but it’s enough to not let it return to idle. it’s like i have cruise on the highway. while its racing can you get it to slow down by manually pulling on the cable at the throttle body? it’ll tell you if it’s your cable if you can bring it back to normal by manipulating the throttle body side of the cable. mine is a brand new lokar cable and there was just enough of a kink in the routing that it caused my issue

Loving the Sniper on my 60, but I used a direct rod, no cable.
i’ve been having almost the exact same issue on my chevelle with a sniper installed. my throttle cable is getting hung up just a little but it’s enough to not let it return to idle. it’s like i have cruise on the highway. while its racing can you get it to slow down by manually pulling on the cable at the throttle body? it’ll tell you if it’s your cable if you can bring it back to normal by manipulating the throttle body side of the cable. mine is a brand new lokar cable and there was just enough of a kink in the routing that it caused my issue

Thanks for the help fellas. It always is something stupid. I will keep looking. I guess if I had to put in a new throttle cable just to be sure that would not be the worst.

Thanks for the help fellas. It always is something stupid. I will keep looking. I guess if I had to put in a new throttle cable just to be sure that would not be the worst.
Could have a few broken strands within the housing that you can’t see. It’s worth a try. It seems to have happened to more than a few of us.

Right, like maybe the pedal is returning back to normal position but still the cable is pulled slightly to keep the butterfly open just a tiny bit. It seems hard to imagine with those heavy springs in place but you are right it does seem to have happened to more than a few of you.

What @franklin40 said.

Next time it runs up don't stab the pedal with your foot, get out and manipulate the throttle cable cam attachment by hand and see if it pops back into place and rpm's drop.
This is how I figured out that my choke cable was getting hung up on my 60.

If there is corrosion building up inside that cable there’s more than enough friction to defy the springs on the butterfly.

Remember the kickdown cable is now gone, and it no longer has that extra spring pull it used to provide.
Given this, a heavier spring sounds like a good idea

Last edited:
Out driving just now. took it around the block a couple of times, finally got it to resting idle a1 1k. I was 2 blocks from home. Managed to keep the idle at 1k. Backed in the drive and jumped out and went futz around with the tb return spring but it was set in place and the throttle cable was even a little loose. I accidentally moved the spring and of course the damn idle dropped back to 650. I could only make it hold idle at 1 k for a few seconds but every time it dropped back before i could get to the engine to piddle around.
Maybe not the cable, but it does sound like something with the tb butterfly or tb spring. More fun to come!

Right, like maybe the pedal is returning back to normal position but still the cable is pulled slightly to keep the butterfly open just a tiny bit. It seems hard to imagine with those heavy springs in place but you are right it does seem to have happened to more than a few of you.
I’ll freely admit that I haven’t analyzed the whole thread but…
I was sticking high idle after pulling out the auto trans. A combination of de-activating the dash pot and loosening the accelerator cable did the trick.
The springs at the TB were set assuming some snap back tension from the kickdown cable which is no longer in your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom