Tutorial/video replacing starter? - UPDATE - Issue Resolved. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a tutorial w/pics or a video on replacing the starter motor in 1985 FJ60. I've searched here and can't seem to come up with anything. Does anyone have a suggestion? is it my boomer-level lack of search skills on this forum? is this such a basic task no one believes a tutorial is worthy? I was hoping for - "this size socket", don't do this, easier to go from above or below? basic advice.

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
yeah probably too basic...I am not very mechanical and replaced mine no problem. Like 3 bolts and a connector. Just go for it and come back if you have a problem. This is the best forum. I have several 4Runners and question can sit there until mold grows on it, but folks here will get back to you with anything. Especially if you provide pictures.

yeah probably too basic...I am not very mechanical and replaced mine no problem. Like 3 bolts and a connector. Just go for it and come back if you have a problem. This is the best forum. I have several 4Runners and question can sit there until mold grows on it, but folks here will get back to you with anything. Especially if you provide pictures.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually didn't have to replace it. I inspected my battery connections and noticed the ground didn't look so swell - the nut on the clamp had backed off. I took it off and cleaned the post and connector. Decided to do the same on the positive post and that connector failed - it broke. Cleaned it up, had some spare connectors - put a good one on - and charged the battery overnight. It cranked right over... decided to keep the starter off eBay as a spare.

And you're right, I would have been able to do it. I always YT it just for best practices, hacks, shortcuts, etc. Thanks for your reply.

one of the vendors on here sells heavier duty battery cable sets that will give you a noticeable difference. Much like the OEM Kioto headlight upgrade from Toyota that brightens your headlights by replacing the wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom