FJ62 bad water leak in cabin - continued - wit's end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe this has been covered, but I’m not sure.

It really looks like there is quite a large opening between windscreen gasket and cowl.
The gasket is literally pulled away from the cowl exposing what sure could be a water entry point, no?

C3DCC523-1FFA-40B8-AD87-DBBD58274260.jpeg

That's not a touch up, that's a huge gap. That's not a factory gasket, get that out of there and put a factory expansion gasket in there. Good eye @Gundo

Well, it seems the leak is back or it’s only occurring during torrential rains. Could it be that the sealant has failed?

Should I check door seals next or does the cowl need to be rewelded?

Well, it seems the leak is back or it’s only occurring during torrential rains. Could it be that the sealant has failed?

Should I check door seals next or does the cowl need to be rewelded?
That stinks. With all the work done one would think the issue was resolved. Water hose leak test and retest to confirm potential source is recommended.

Well on this hose test I was able to get some water in around the top of the rear passenger door around the weather stripping. Do they still make the door seals?

Well on this hose test I was able to get some water in around the top of the rear passenger door around the weather stripping. Do they still make the door seals?
if you want a really good tight seal, get these:

Here's the seam seal application
o6nV20N.jpg
the very corner of the cowl, the area BEHIND the elbow-shaped drain, that the hood hinge goes into, that is where I found my rot. It's a terrible design for drainage, and it's a mofo to actually be able to do anything useful inside there...good luck if that's your issue too. you didn't do a great job at applying your sealant...remove every bit of old dried up sealant you see in those photos. water doesn't care about where you think it might go; ask any roofer, lol. water-proof TF out of every metal seam.

I have the same problem. Drivers side carpet wet when it rains. I get a small amount of water in the inside corner of my windshield gasket every time it rains so I know that is at least one of the culprits.....maybe my only problem. Consequently I have been covering it when it rains. Is there a short cut to sealing the WS gasket without removing the WS?? Is there a write up on doing it right and can someone post the FSM section on sealing the WS correctly?

I have the same problem. Drivers side carpet wet when it rains. I get a small amount of water in the inside corner of my windshield gasket every time it rains so I know that is at least one of the culprits.....maybe my only problem. Consequently I have been covering it when it rains. Is there a short cut to sealing the WS gasket without removing the WS?? Is there a write up on doing it right and can someone post the FSM section on sealing the WS correctly?
If there's any play to the gasket you might be able to put a bead under it.

Is there a short cut to sealing the WS gasket without removing the WS??

The FSM says to run a thin bead of sealant between the installed gasket and the truck body and another one between the installed gasket and the glass. If this is done correctly, it should be sealed. Glass shops do not do this, as a rule.

Is there a short cut to sealing the WS gasket without removing the WS??

The FSM says to run a thin bead of sealant between the installed gasket and the truck body and another one between the installed gasket and the glass. If this is done correctly, it should be sealed. Glass shops do not do this, as a rule.
so can the WS be removed without destroying the gasket and glass so it can be corrected....or is there another way to fix it without removing??

No need to remove the WS or gasket to apply caulk.

View attachment 2723740
Thanks...so the pic is a little hard to decipher...am I seeing that you tape it off to protect paint and glass and then lift the lip of the gasket up and with maybe a sharp piece of plastic and then apply some urethan under the gasket? that was my initial thought on this but wanted to see if anyone has done it successfully.

Is there a ordered product to caulk this? I'm thinking clear silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom