FJ62 4Lo shifter stuck in place (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
4 Hi engages fine via button on dash. 4 low shifter seems to be stuck in place, I am afraid to force it and severely damage something. Can not engage 4 low. Have not had time to get in there and look around. Figured it was worth reaching out to see if this is a common issue before I start trying to diagnose.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same issue with mine not wanting to engage into 4 low. I took mine apart and there's a spring with a indent ball (I think that's what's it's called). In my situation, the spring was bent in a manner that it was not allowing the shifter to engage. Replaced the spring, problem solved.

Last edited:
Great. This is exactly what I was looking for. Solid place to start. How tedious was this job? Sound fairly straight forward.

Thanks very much for the tip.

Taking the split case apart and diagnosing the problem was straight forward. Once I saw the spring it was apparent that was my issue. Not really tedious, I was just afraid of what I was going to find once I got into the case. Luck was on my side.

Before you take anything apart...

Get in and drive in reverse for 50 feet. Stop part way and try to shift, it may take doing this a couple of times to shift.

Many time the transfer case will get bound up and not want to shift, especially if operated on hard surfaces. By backing up you relieve the pressure on the gears and shift mechanism.

It's worth a try.

does the lever move at all? into N?
when was the last time you used lo?
I'm thinking the lever is froze on the pivot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom