Reinstalling shifter lever on fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ax0n

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys.

I removed the shifter lever to install @dnp ’s carpets and have run into an issue. I am 90% sure the shifter is going back into the transmission where it is supposed to, but after seating and replacing the twist-lock retainer the lever is not engaging the transmission.

Any suggestions?

Thanks…

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

I found some info here - can you point me to the part # or reference for the bushing that belongs on the early FJ60 4 speed?

@ax0n
The 4 speed transmission shift lever doesn’t use a plastic bushing on the tip. Only the 5 speed

9E93B902-B31C-42F3-8E94-E7740D93BEB9.png
C17C03BD-F8BC-4B53-807C-000234504C33.png
The 5 speed shift lever has a little plastic cup that snaps into the end tip. It’s also rounded where the 4 speed tip is flattened.
I had a 5 speed Transmission with 250,000 miles on it and when I pulled the lever, the plastic bushing on the tip still looked brand new.

What is the bushing. That I'm thinking of that wears out?

you may be thinking of the shifter seat, cup where the ball of the shifter rides on
the blue/green thing in the OP's pic

you may be thinking of the shifter seat, cup where the ball of the shifter rides on
the blue/green thing in the OP's pic
This^^ If you haven't already resolved this issue, it's most likely the cup bushing on which the "rotating ball" of the shifter rests. If it's worn, it'll allow the shifter to go too far into the transmission, and the shifter tip gets hung up on stuff. Often you can test this by lifting up on the shifter while at the same time seeing if you can shift it. Here's one from City Racer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom