FJ60 Resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1987 FJ60 I purchased new, good shape, never driven hard, 240K, maintained. Ten years ago, reverse gear became harder to shift into and eventually locked up in reverse, stopped driving it. I want to bring this FJ60 back to life and have a trans shop lined to rebuild. I cant get it to run unless starting fluid constantly sprayed in carb. There are about 3 gallons, plus gas conditioner in tank, though old. Any suggestions as to where to begin? Thanks

The actuation of the transmission into reverse gear is a super simple affair inside the transmission. I doubt there's anything wrong with the gears. My guess would be the shift lever seat has worn out, causing the shift lever to drop down too far.
That's something that you could easily check (and fix if true). The seat only costs a couple bucks.
Remove the shift lever and examine the rubber ring it rests on.

image.jpeg

Have a 1987 FJ60 I purchased new, good shape, never driven hard, 240K, maintained. Ten years ago, reverse gear became harder to shift into and eventually locked up in reverse, stopped driving it. I want to bring this FJ60 back to life and have a trans shop lined to rebuild. I cant get it to run unless starting fluid constantly sprayed in carb. There are about 3 gallons, plus gas conditioner in tank, though old. Any suggestions as to where to begin? Thanks

Change the transmission fluid, make sure the clutch is adjusted properly and there’s not a leak in the hydraulics and get a carb rebuild by JimC or Mark A Here on the forum. Also, change the fuel filter and make sure the fuel pump is getting fuel to the carb, just look in the sight glass.

I doubt there’s anything seriously wrong with it.

The actuation of the transmission into reverse gear is a super simple affair inside the transmission. I doubt there's anything wrong with the gears. My guess would be the shift lever seat has worn out, causing the shift lever to drop down too far.
That's something that you could easily check (and fix if true). The seat only costs a couple bucks.
Remove the shift lever and examine the rubber ring it rests on.

View attachment 2359020
Hmmmm......could the shift lever be wrastled and pulled upwards to try to un stick its position?

As OSS shared, you should be able to remove the shifter from the trans and then inspect the receiver area. I assume you can inspect and replace the ring through the open port the shifter goes in if this is the issue. OSS can confirm. You may be able to get it back to neutral using a large screwdriver or blade. I know this makes it a lot easier to stab the shifter back in place as well.
Also, you should remove your sending unit and shine a light into the fuel tank to determine the condition. 10 years is a long time to have fuel sitting in there. Good chance your tank is a bit crusty. Did you have the tank recall done?

Modern fuels will start to go bad after 3 months. I would drop the tank and have it cleaned, blow the lines out with compressed air and replace the pump and filter as a start.

Reactions: OSS
As OSS shared, you should be able to remove the shifter from the trans and then inspect the receiver area. I assume you can inspect and replace the ring through the open port the shifter goes in if this is the issue. OSS can confirm. You may be able to get it back to neutral using a large screwdriver or blade. I know this makes it a lot easier to stab the shifter back in place as well.
Also, you should remove your sending unit and shine a light into the fuel tank to determine the condition. 10 years is a long time to have fuel sitting in there. Good chance your tank is a bit crusty. Did you have the tank recall done?
Actually.....the shifter is moveable, in neutral, but the gears are stuck in reverse. Did not do the tank recall, probably too long for Toyota to replace now.

Recall is still available, but some of the individual parts are not. I just did mine last year, here is an update from one of the resident gurus.

Clark

Recall is still available, but some of the individual parts are not. I just did mine last year, here is an update from one of the resident gurus.

Clark
Appreciate the info!!!

Does the clutch pedal seem like it's doing anything, like it's normal? If it goes down too easily you may have blown out the slave cylinder or the master cylinder and it will be like trying to shift out of gear without the clutch.

Does the clutch pedal seem like it's doing anything, like it's normal? If it goes down too easily you may have blown out the slave cylinder or the master cylinder and it will be like trying to shift out of gear without the clutch.
Pedal seems normal, stick shift moves in neutral, trans in reverse mode. After 10 yrs not running, need to solve that, then get it trans shop for complete investigation. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom