FJ60 power steering upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been through 3 PS pumps in the last few years and can't get them to stop leaking. I ready to nip this one and I'm thinking of going with a remote reservoir unit from a mini, which I hear fits in the 60. I've got a couple of questions for you wisemen.

First of all is this the best option for upgrading? I'm pretty adament about changing to a remote reservoir setup...I've already ruined one smog pump and I don't want to have to worry about my new one.

Second. What year mini is a good donor?

thanks for the help...

Rob

60 series pumps will leak at times but they are not known for leaking. IE: no normal issues with all of them. WHere are you getting the other pumps from? Are you replacing the O ring when switching pumps? Thread seal? Have you replaced the resivor or just the pump? Have you replaced the pressure/return line? We run 35" and 37" tires on stock pumps with no issue at all. Are you using ATF or PSF? I dont see what you will get by converting to a remote system

DD113, You may be right, but I've sure heard of a lot of PS pumps on 60s that leaked. Mine did until I bought a rebuilt one. Not sure what the problem is, though.

Most of the leaks I see are from the O ring that seals the pump to the resivor (SP?) At least 50% of the time is leak is also due to PSE in the system and not ATF as required. I have seen many pumps with over 200K on them dry as a bone with ATF inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom