FJ60 Power Steering Pulley Removal and PS Pump Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you place a long flathead against the housing and hold the handle to your ear and see if it reverberates thru it?

Great suggestion which I tried. I can hear a similar noise placing the screwdriver on both the PS and Air pump and it sounded like it could have been coming from either of them. Perhaps that means its not coming either of them. I spent some time tonight lurking around the engine with it running. Trying to pinpoint where this is coming from. Sometimes it sounds deeper in the engine and sometimes it sounds same location as the PS pump but just lower (so air pump). And then sometimes it sounds like its coming right at the PS pump. Its maddening. Mechanics stethoscope might be the ticket.

I thought about the belt idea. The belt that runs the PS pump also runs the alternator. I was not totally sure I could get the motor to run without the alternator running, but maybe so for a short time. Thanks for the suggestions.

The no mess way to do this is:
Before attaching and tensioning the belt-
leave the plug on the reservoir (where the ps return line connects)
Then fill the reservoir with Dexron.
Put the return line in a can to catch the Dexron overflow
Turn the pulley clockwise by hand or with a wrench if it's very tight until nice clean Dexron runs into the can.
Remove the plug on the reservoir, attach the return line, tighten the hose clamp and install the belt. Top off the reservoir with Dexron and you're done.
I can't imagine anyone starting the vehicle with a ps line disconnected. The whole process only needs a quart of Dexron and no mess.

The no mess way to do this is:
Before attaching and tensioning the belt-
leave the plug on the reservoir (where the ps return line connects)
Then fill the reservoir with Dexron.
Put the return line in a can to catch the Dexron overflow
Turn the pulley clockwise by hand or with a wrench if it's very tight until nice clean Dexron runs into the can.
Remove the plug on the reservoir, attach the return line, tighten the hose clamp and install the belt. Top off the reservoir with Dexron and you're done.
I can't imagine anyone starting the vehicle with a ps line disconnected. The whole process only needs a quart of Dexron and no mess.

Good way to handle this. Noted for next time I flush the PS system.

Been awhile here but this PS clacking noise is driving me nuts. I loosened the nut on the PS shaft, and removed the belt. With no tension on the belt, I can wobble the pulley back and forth ever so slightly. It does not seem to be a big deal but it does move a little and I could see that being the cause of the noise. The front washer that touches the pulley was re-used from the old install. Since the pulley was moving free for some time because of the missing woodruff key, the flat washer is worn from the spinning. Thinking maybe this washer is worn down enough to allow the pulley to wobble some when it spins, I ordered a new washer/nut set from my local Toyota dealer. its been three weeks and still no parts under the claim of backordered. So I went to SOR to see what they had. Their diagram on their site shows something interesting for the PS pump:

099b1.gif

It seems to show a flat washer on the back of the pulley (numbered '2'). This diagram (used for most of the dealers I have looked at) however shows no washer on the back:

a1_MC7984E.jpg

So it would make sense to me that if there needed to be a flat washer on the back to help steady the pulley, this could be the cause of my wobble. So I ask the experts here: Is there supposed to be a washer behind the pulley or not? My original pump had none but perhaps it was just missing from some past repair. The SOR diagram shows the return fitting on the left side of the pump reservoir more like you might see in a later model FJ40, so it could be that SOR is just using an FJ40 picture and labeling it as FJ60 but I am not sure. Maybe FJ40 pumps do have this washer behind the pulley and the 60 pumps don't. Does anyone here know if a washer is required to fit behind the pulley like in the SOR diagram? So washer--->woodruff Key---->pulley--->front flat washer--->front split washer--->nut. Any help is appreciated as always.

I've searched a handful of diagrams ranging between 40 and 62 and none have a washer behind the pulley. Having just replaced my p/s assembly, I can say that no washer exists behind the pulley. Nut, spring washer, flat washer and woodruff are all that exist on the shaft.

Been awhile here but this PS clacking noise is driving me nuts. I loosened the nut on the PS shaft, and removed the belt. With no tension on the belt, I can wobble the pulley back and forth ever so slightly. It does not seem to be a big deal but it does move a little and I could see that being the cause of the noise. The front washer that touches the pulley was re-used from the old install. Since the pulley was moving free for some time because of the missing woodruff key, the flat washer is worn from the spinning. Thinking maybe this washer is worn down enough to allow the pulley to wobble some when it spins, I ordered a new washer/nut set from my local Toyota dealer. its been three weeks and still no parts under the claim of backordered. So I went to SOR to see what they had. Their diagram on their site shows something interesting for the PS pump:

View attachment 1640074

It seems to show a flat washer on the back of the pulley (numbered '2'). This diagram (used for most of the dealers I have looked at) however shows no washer on the back:

View attachment 1640075

So it would make sense to me that if there needed to be a flat washer on the back to help steady the pulley, this could be the cause of my wobble. So I ask the experts here: Is there supposed to be a washer behind the pulley or not? My original pump had none but perhaps it was just missing from some past repair. The SOR diagram shows the return fitting on the left side of the pump reservoir more like you might see in a later model FJ40, so it could be that SOR is just using an FJ40 picture and labeling it as FJ60 but I am not sure. Maybe FJ40 pumps do have this washer behind the pulley and the 60 pumps don't. Does anyone here know if a washer is required to fit behind the pulley like in the SOR diagram? So washer--->woodruff Key---->pulley--->front flat washer--->front split washer--->nut. Any help is appreciated as always.

So right after I posted this, Toyota called, said my parts were in. Ran over and got them. The flat washer I received looked way different than the one on my truck. After seeing it, the mystery started to unravel. If anyone recalls this whole thing started with the PS pulley removal and a missing woodruff key. So I think what may have happened here is that somewhere in this things past, someone tried to monkey with the PS pump/pulley. The woodruff key must have fallen out when doing that so what I think may have happened is that instead of replacing the woodruff key, they simply tried to use the bolt and washers to keep this thing on the shaft. Worked for awhile but over time it wore the flat washer down to the point where the pulley would no longer turn the shaft. That's about the time I came in. Here is a photo of the old and new washers side by side:

IMG_3161.jpg

So when I originally replaced the pump I noticed the washer being somewhat worn down at the time but I re-used it anyway along with original bolt and split washer. I thought the flat washer was some sort of special thing that had a little collar on it when I originally looked at it. Turns out that the 'collar' is actually just the area that was not worn down from the original setup. It been broken for years apparently. Testament to how reliable these parts are even when someone screws up how they are used. The new washer is twice the thickness all the way across (same thickness as the center unworn section on the original flat washer).

Here are some additional photos of old and new washer for comparison:

IMG_3162.jpg
IMG_3163.jpg
IMG_3164.jpg

Hopefully you can get a sense of how damaged the original washer was from the shot (sorry about the blur).

So I put the new washers and nut on, fired the old girl up and..........no noise. Gone. And no wobble. Pulley is locked on there right as rain. Drug out this thread all for a $2.00 washer. Now I feel stupid for buying it from the dealer (the flat washer was my backordered part) thinking it was some sort of special collared type part. Nope. Just a regular old flat washer I could have probably gotten from Elliott's down the street. Anyways she is all good now. Thanks all for the help and input. Hope this saves someone the trouble down the road.

They probably torqued down on that Nut and washer like crazy to have the pulley hold on the shaft....
Obviously the key is needed as you ended up with a mangled washer ^^

Great find~~~~:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom