FJ60 dizzy questions: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on swapping in an FJ60 distributor and FJ60 dented plate. This will replace the existing FJ40 dist in my FJ40 1979-80.

Do I need FJ60 coil & ignitor assembly?
Does any one know what year FJ60 is preferred?
Does any one have Toyota part numbers for dizzy and plate?

Thanks

dfm

1. yes
  2. any
  3. no

Note that some here have had luck dimpling the stock cover plate to allow the FJ60 distributor to fit.

I have heard of other coil ignitor assemblies being triggered by the FJ60 distributor. I think Mini-truck ones can be made to work. I would just run the FJ60 stock stuff, though.

All years of FJ60 have exactly the same ignition.

The dimpled side cover is available new from Toyota for about $70 last time I checked.

FJ40 dist in my FJ40 1979-80.

Do I need FJ60 coil & ignitor assembly?
No, but it is by far the easiest way to go. I currently run the 60 series coil & ignitor assembly with a small cap (78) electronic distributor. If your current distributor is the small cap Toyota electronic; the coil and ignitor assembly that is in the truck will work.

One of my "hope to find in the yard" items is another coil ignitor assembly to have as a spare. As I understand it, anything from a carburetor Toytoa electronic ignition (mini-truck, land cruiser) should work. Alas, I have yet to find a vehicle with these still in them when I arrive.

Alternatively, others have used a GM ignitor as documented in this link.

Does any one know what year FJ60 is preferred?
As indicated above, any of them will work for the swap.

Does any one have Toyota part numbers for dizzy and plate?
Sorry, I don't have this information.

Thx guys; help is mucho appreciated. I'm doing a little resto work on my 1980 FJ40. I had Ron (Rocky mtn LC, Rocky Mountain Cruisers) do some work for me, like install a new Cardone 31-722 distributor. Even with 98% of the polution crap installed, it runs great. New distributors are almost an extinct item.

I'm presently installing all new colored silicon vacuum hoses. Will look real purty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom