FJ60 and 2F timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an US spec 1985 FJ60 with all the original equipment, smog etc... I had done everything I could to tune it up and was still not satisfied with its performance. Then I ran into an engine builder who had been a certified Toyota mechanic back in the day and he recommended I set the timing to 18 degrees advance at idle. This is significantly higher than the factory spec but I gave it a try and man what a difference. You will need a timing light with an adjustable strobe.

Uhh, there is no reason to run a 2F 18 Deg static advanced at idle.. Is the vac-line still hooked up?

Yes and all refreshed. I appreciate your expertise but my truck doesn't lie and this guy is the best race engine builder in our region.

Could it be that with modern fuels we can run much more advance than in the past?
I might try messing with my timing some more.
In my race engine experience we play with max advance (because we are always at high rpm).
It's interesting how it effects total horsepower vs torque and where you might want that power.
The only way to know for sure is to put it on the dyno and play with it. Each engine will react differently depending on every factor of the build. (Cam, compression ratio, carburation, etc)

Set the timing without the Vac line hooked up..
Have you checked the max advance you get out of the current Distributor?

Currious,
What did the Race engine builder do to the 2F to make it different?

Last edited:
Something is wrong if the engine runs a lot better with 18° of mechanical advance at sea level. Maybe the vacuum advancer is not working? If my cruiser is set to 9° advance (2° above spec) it will slightly ping under certain driving conditions at sea level with octane 89 gas (mid grade).

If the high altitude compensation (HAC) system wasn't working and the truck lives above 4000 feet or higher and you use higher octane fuel and the engine compression is on the low side, I can see a 2F squeaking by with maybe 15° max of mechanical advance.

Verify that the distributor vacuum advancer works as it should. Inner pipe.

Your Vacuum advancer or the centrifugal plate in the dissy isn't working - or something else

You get about 23* advance centrifugal.
About 18* Advance from Vacuum Advancer
And another 6* from HAC when conditions apply.

If you're starting at 18* (and everything else is working) you could be at almost 60* total advance at WOT and you'll detonate your motor.

Have the distributor checked/rebuilt www.tlcperformance.com

It was a dog before because you prolly weren't getting any spark advance.

Dizzy FAQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom