FJ45 Instrument Cluster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Howdy!
Anyone know a good source for an instrument cluster for an HJ45? I assume it's the same as the FJ40.
I can;t really go for the $1,000 digital one, nor the $500 regular ones.
Have seen them for about $120. Anyone know if those are good?
Mine has the fuel gauge working and the speedo too, but it's in KPH and I want to change it to MPH.

Thanks!

12V
That's how the truck has been running. Uses two batteries. Wired in parallel. The previous owner had one battery in it and it would kill the battery in one day. I put two and it has been fine.

"Kill the battery in one day" - looks like you should take a look at your charging system. Alternator and if you have an external regulator - it may not be putting out enough volts to charge.

JVZii has done some Youtube reviews on the ones you see on Ebay. He also sells a MPH decal to go over the KPH numbers. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing and stumbled across his youtube videos. A few of my gauges are no longer working either.

"Kill the battery in one day" - looks like you should take a look at your charging system. Alternator and if you have an external regulator - it may not be putting out enough volts to charge.
It's in the shop to get wiring sorted out. I may ask the mechanic to check that. Once I put the two batteries in, no more problems.
Even with that old engine, when it's a warm day, it starts instantly. The glow plugs may need to be replaced too.

JVZii has done some Youtube reviews on the ones you see on Ebay. He also sells a MPH decal to go over the KPH numbers. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing and stumbled across his youtube videos. A few of my gauges are no longer working either.

Thanks! I'll check that out!

That was great, thanks!
I'm thinking maybe refurbishing the stock speedo, and adding the decal for the MPH conversion.
Any advice on that? I'm wondering if, with all the wiring hack that was done, the gauges on my HJ's speedometer cluster are fine and just need cleaning up. Maybe replace the bulbs (I want red light in it).

If you get your wiring sorted out and all the gauges are working, then I'd go with refurbishing the original. I was thinking of that route but two of my gauges are bad, most of the gauge lights don't work. Found an original oil and temp gauges on ebay but for what they want for them, it would be cheaper to get a new gauge cluster and add the decal.
My other thought was to take the aftermarket oil and temp gauges the PO installed and see if I could disassemble them and get them to fit in the existing panel. There was an old thread on here where someone make a new back plate to accept aftermarket gauges into the existing panel. It's not available anymore. I might see if I can fabricate something similar.

@Joe45 what year is your 45? That kind of determines what options you might have for your cluster.
My HJ45 is a 1980. Came from South America. It's a diesel, but I don;t think that matters for the gauges.

I had the same issue on the HJ45, I was lucky enough and was able to locate one at descent price. Removed and replaced, checked good.

If a gauge is not working try cleaning the connections at the cluster and at the other end. Reseating a connector maybe enough to get it going. Stuff oxidizes over time.

If the battery is draining overnight, disconnect the negative terminal at battery and connect a 12v lamp (test light) to complete the circuit. It should not come on when the key is in the off position. If does come on start disconnecting things like a relay, external voltage regulator...etc until it turns off.

Normally when the engine is not running you should see 12v at the battery......when running, should be about to 2 more volts....forget the tolerance but should not be 12v when engine is running.

I had the same issue on the HJ45, I was lucky enough and was able to locate one at descent price. Removed and replaced, checked good.

If a gauge is not working try cleaning the connections at the cluster and at the other end. Reseating a connector maybe enough to get it going. Stuff oxidizes over time.

If the battery is draining overnight, disconnect the negative terminal at battery and connect a 12v lamp (test light) to complete the circuit. It should not come on when the key is in the off position. If does come on start disconnecting things like a relay, external voltage regulator...etc until it turns off.

Normally when the engine is not running you should see 12v at the battery......when running, should be about to 2 more volts....forget the tolerance but should not be 12v when engine is running.
Thanks, yeah I'll check that stuff once they do the rewiring.
My mechanic said he can rewire the whole vehicle, but that it's unnecessary. He said it will be far less expensive, and just as good, to fix whatever is wrong and leave the rest of the wires as they are.
I am leaning towards this because my intention is not a restoration, but a resto mod.

As far as the battery draining, this hasn't been an issue since I installed a second battery. I think what was killing it was the startup of a diesel with one battery/small/inadequate battery. Either way, will be looking onto all this.
Thanks for the test lamp idea. Will try it out.
Thank you!

The later model instrument clusters are significantly different in terms of wiring. My '81 is modular with a single multi plug connection, for instance.

Thanks, yeah I'll check that stuff once they do the rewiring.
My mechanic said he can rewire the whole vehicle, but that it's unnecessary. He said it will be far less expensive, and just as good, to fix whatever is wrong and leave the rest of the wires as they are.
I am leaning towards this because my intention is not a restoration, but a resto mod.

As far as the battery draining, this hasn't been an issue since I installed a second battery. I think what was killing it was the startup of a diesel with one battery/small/inadequate battery. Either way, will be looking onto all this.
Thanks for the test lamp idea. Will try it out.
Thank you!
Hey Joe, you may want to install a starter relay. I had a 2h that I was having starting issues with for a couple of months. I tried a rebuilt starter and a multitude of other used starters until I decided to add a relay to the system. After the relay, it has not had any issues since during the cranking process. As far as your parasitic loss issue, there are many ways of finding the bad circuit. I find using an ammeter and popping fuses out is one of the easiest ways to find the drain.

Great, just remember batteries have a life, you can load test them at an auto parts store after they are fully charged. Usually under normal wear and tear batteries will last 4-5 year so if you are close to that, its best to bite the bullet as they say and purchase a replacement. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll look into the relay.
Also, when I get the LC back, I'll take out the gauges to check how they are constructed.

And the batteries, yeah. FJC battery died last weekend. Was parked by a walmart so I just went in and got an inexpensive battery.

The idea is something is staying on when it should be off when it's not running. Relays should only be activated when they are energized. And when power is removed and no loger energized, meanwhile the the contacts stay in the closed position when they really should open. Bad wiring that is shorting itself to complete a circuit can also be possibility. You are going to until you start checking it. Hopefully you problem will gone when get it back. :)

My HJ45 is a 1980. Came from South America. It's a diesel, but I don;t think that matters for the gauges.
A 1980 can use any of the aftermarket clusters on ebay. Also you can still get an OEM cluster (KPH) that will work in your 45.

I have KPH to MPH conversion kits for the speedometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom