FJ40 solid onepiece transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright so my O/D killed it self back in december and I have since returned back to a stock transfer case without a PTO or Fairey overdrive. However, I had this rumbling or grinding noise that made a whine anytime I got up to about 40 mph. At first I figured it was just the oil getting to all the placed it Hadn't been before but after I had driven about 10 miles I figured something else was wrong. After doing some thinking I had my buddy drive slow and I could see the rear axle shaft "Ticking". long story short I have the tcase back apart.

After a drain she had some pieces of what looks like a broken washer. None of the gears of my teeth are broken.
I was wondering if I should be looking for maybe more grime? or a bad bearing? I have no clue whats going on or what the broken pieces are from. If anyone has ever dealt with this id be a bunch of help.

I defiantly would tear it down to see and check all of the parts and if needed to be replaced
There is a reason that the washer is flying around.

Okay that is my conclusion as well. I just wanted to make sure that this is indeed a tcase thing and not something else. These trucks are crazy simple so I wanted to rule everything out.

Since your OD major failure and now found pieces of something inside the T case probably best to rebuild the case. In the long run will probably save more headaches in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom