FJ40 Snorkel / Heat Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi All,

Wanted to get some opinions on an idea. My FJ40 is running a 350 Vortec, 99 w/headers and is currently using a K&N filter. I don't like the K&N as it gums up my vortec mass air flow sensor and has been causing problems (error codes). The air filter also sits in the engine compartment with the headers and pulls in hot air instead of the best case scenario of pulling in cool air. I have noticed for awhile now that my cruiser runs much nicer in the cool evenings and I think this is why. It doesn't run as nice on a hot day on a hot freeway as the air out on the highway already is heated and then mixed with the heat from the engine, headers, etc. Anyhow, I am thinking that a safari snorkel will help this in that it will be pulling air from the outside which will be much cooler in temp. I can't think of any other ways to pull cool air from the outside that would work. I would like to do this differently as I would like to use a paper element that is replacable. I think I can probably fab something up to work with the FJ40 safari snorkel, some type of assembly, etc, maybe pulled from the jyard.

Any other ideas or reccomendations on how to pull cool air from the outside?

Any opinions on the safari snorkel?, they look nice, but are they well built and durable?

Does this all make sense or should I go stick my head in a blender?

Thanks!

Noah :rolleyes:

Noah, I was think the exact same thing. Most new cars/trucks pull air from the side of the engine compartment and have a shorter tube/snorkle to the engine. I thought the safari snorkel would work just as good and be a bit more practical for an FJ-40 - but how about the filter? Anyone have one of these things that can explain the air filter system on it or does it just flow to your normal airbox?

Bailey,

the stock setup I believe just flows through to the stock fj40 air filter housing. Since I am running a V8 I would have to figure something out as far as hooking the snorkel up, shouldn't be too much trouble though.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom