FJ40 Rear Bench Seat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am switching my 40' to a rear bench seat due to my land cruiser now becoming a family vehicle. I just don't feel safe with my two kids sitting on those jump seats. I was wondering if any one has some suggestions on using a rear seat out of another model vehicle. I would rather take a little time and fabrication then spend the bucks for a new one. Any help would be great.

it seems to me that if I have a seat that sits on top of the wheel wells that an adult would hava a tuff time not putting their head through the roof. the original jump seats are only a few inches over the wells but a cushy bench out of a mini van I think (i have not measured yet) would be to high.

I have a bench seat that the PO was going to install but never did. I think it was out of a mid-80's Cherokee or something, and I have no idea if it is an easy install or not (since I was never going to do this). Its tan, pretty dusty from storage, but in pretty good shape. (Great for a porch couch in the summer too! The folding arms are quite a novelty). If I remember right it still has working seatbelts too. If you like, I'm in the Seattle area. If you happen to have something to trade, I'd be glad to get this off my hands. If you don't have something to trade, I suppose a six pack might convince me as well... :beer:

Figured I'd let you know 'bout this if you didn't already have a seat picked out.

the kids are young. one is a new born and the other is two. its a busy place at my house(both girls). how tall would the "cherokee" seat be over the wells? is it a cloth seat? I don't have anything picked out. I may just have to go to a wrecking yard and just do some measuring. I am also thinking I would have a fold out front passenger seat for easier access. thanks for the feed back guys...

Just a suggestion from another dad, build a family cage while you're at it. Can be done fairly cheap and gives much better peace of mind then some short hoops. Built mine for around $150.

Got mine out of a Monteo. Fits nice, flips up and folds down. Got the seat belts with it. Mounted it with grade 8's and plates under the floor.

I had mine custom made by a place who make seats for vans etc here in oz. It sits between the wheel arches and folds up or I can unbolt it within minuates. I thought about doing it myself but it required an engineering certificate.........DAzz

[quote author=needamod link=board=1;threadid=7983;start=msg67373#msg67373 date=1069708272]
it seems to me that if I have a seat that sits on top of the wheel wells that an adult would hava a tuff time not putting their head through the roof. the original jump seats are only a few inches over the wells but a cushy bench out of a mini van I think (i have not measured yet) would be to high.
[/quote]More advice from a dad. I have an Astro-van seat for my little ones (3, 5 & 7yrs) and they love it. Yes, it is too tall for adults but its the only way the kids can see. It is also very plush so they regularly fall asleep there. Amazing what they can sleep through. They missed half of Hells Revenge once. Another nice thing about the astro seat is the snap-in snap-out feature. With fabbed brackets on the floor I can change it out in seconds for the adult size j**p seat if needed or leave the seats behind for hauling more gear.

That's a good one Hammer, kudos... I didn't want to get that involved, so I got one out of either a Dodge Raider or a Mits Montero. I'ts like the exact width of the rear, folds down completely, or folds forward on it's own sliders. I do wish it'd fold forward completely up to the front seats,... but it suffices ok. Same deal with me, anyone sitting in those jump seats is as good as compost if she goes over.

WILL

thanks for all the help. I at least know where to begin my search. Has anyone used rear bucket seats out of a van for the front of an FJ? Then fabbed a bracket so the front passenger seat will fold up or take out? that would be slick to be able to reach into the back seat and have such easy access.

In my DD I took a rear seat out of a 1972 Blazer. I took all the fabric and cushion off and took about 12in out of the middle of the frame, welded it back up with the joints I made sleeved with next size bigger tubing. I had it recovered and installed it on mount I made. Including the caost of recovering it was all less than $100.00 and the blazer seat has built in arm rest that keep my little ones booster seat from tipping when the cruiser get a little off camber.

Some may scream blasphemy, but the rear fold and tumble seat out of a TJ fits perfectly between the fender wells. That's what I have. I also added a full family cage and 3 point belts.

The slickest one though is the middle seat from a Chrysler minivan that has the built in kids seats. I've seen pictures of that one in a FJ40 and it appeared to fit well. No messing around with putting the kids seats in and out.

[quote author=needamod link=board=1;threadid=7983;start=msg67401#msg67401 date=1069710278]
how tall would the "cherokee" seat be over the wells?
[/quote]

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head. When I get home tonight I'll see about doing some measurements for you. Might even grab some photos if I can get my dcam working.

[quote author=needamod link=board=1;threadid=7983;start=msg67401#msg67401 date=1069710278]
is it a cloth seat?
[/quote]

It is a cloth seat.

Also, I think it actually fits between the wheel wells, or that the mounts are inset so that you don't mount to the wells. Not sure on that though. Might as well ask though... I'm in the Puget Sound area, so it may not be worth the bother... LMK

ottende,

thanks for your help. I am not sure what it would cost for shipping since I am up in MN. I may be better off checking my local salvage yards unless it has already been fabbed to fit into a 40. you may be able to use it for a nice porch bench after all. :D

I suspect you'll find what you like in a yard then... Good luck and glad to offer...
:cheers:

I have the steel horse fold and tumble for a jeep in denim black. I have yet to intsall it but it fits perfectly between the wells as Jason pointed out.

Hey Jason how did you mount yours? What did you do for belts?

Kevin

I used the factory brackets for the front and the rear just sits on the floor. I used the factory rear TJ seat belts. When I had the cage built, I had some tabs welded on for the upper mount.

I like it. I got the seat for almost free, then I bought a seat cover from JC Whitney to kind of match the rest of my seats. When it's folded up it still clears the rear heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom