FJ40 Rear Bench Seat (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a Bestop Trailmax II seat. The bottom is 40" across and the back is 42". It is wide enough for three kids.

I wouldn't waste your money on the one from CCOT as it is the exact same seat but they add a support leg.

Here's the seat for $279 with free shipping.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bst-39435-01/overview/

I used a Bestop Trailmax II seat. The bottom is 40" across and the back is 42". It is wide enough for three kids.

I wouldn't waste your money on the one from CCOT as it is the exact same seat but they add a support leg.

Here's the seat for $279 with free shipping.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bst-39435-01/overview/

SouthBostonFJ40- Bought a 74' from my buddy last w-end (see attached). Safety items for my 9 and 12yo is the priority right now.

You came to the same conclusion as I did; go with a seat that's proven to fit and mount well. I'm down to Smittybuilt and Bestop. On Bestop, I'm not worried about the "custom support leg" that CCOT offers, but do need to know about mounting hardware. When I go to your Summit link it goes to the black one and no description of mounting hardware. I did find gray, but two versions at two different prices. What year Heep was your's built for?

Have any pictures of how you mounted harnesses? I'll do three point later which will require some figuring with stock roll bar in rear. Did you mount shoulder portion to floor?

Any advice and picture would be greatly appreciated! Tried to upload a photos but not working for upload file. Think forum is trying to have you link to a URL...not doing that...!

Cheers,
LR

Last edited:
Here are mine. Used rear jump seats from a Mitsubishi. Have not lost anyone yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I used a fold and tumble rear seat out of a Dodge Raider (made by Mitsubishi). Not sure what year it was, late 80's? It was an easy fit, perfect width, and had lap seat belts with it.

Don

Last edited:
Mine is from an Isuzu Amigo, stumbled across it in the local Pick n Pull. Fits great, gray color is close to the 40's seats, and it folds and tumbles. I also pulled the rear seat belts.

My current bench comfortably fits 3 but after 25 years in the back of a 40, it's just about done. The side folding, forward facing, 'bucket' seats tick all the boxes but fitting a 3rd. If I can widen them a touch, I figure I can make them work for 3 for that occasional trip that I need 5 seats that happens 3 or 4 times a year.

Found some pics @sneaky posted of his setup in a thread of mine
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2767.JPG

Haven't heard back on my original question to SouthBostonFJ40. Anyone know if the mounting hardware that comes with the Bestop Trailmax II seat works, as is, in a 74' or is there other hardware required? His point was the CCOT "exclusive" was just that they've added a support stand to the Trailmax II and bundled a set of lap belts. Can anyone confirm I'm good to order from other than CCOT?

Thanks Much,
LR

There is a thread somewhere here on Mud that has a drawing of the part that you can build. It replaces the front mount that allows the seat to rotate forward. You can then use the body mount bolts just like the CCOT kit.

There is a thread somewhere here on Mud that has a drawing of the part that you can build. It replaces the front mount that allows the seat to rotate forward. You can then use the body mount bolts just like the CCOT kit.
Ok now I'm confused. The seat that arrived today is the trail max II "fold and tumble." Are we saying that in the FJ40 application, it doesn't tumble???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom