Builds Fj40 re-rebuild! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good. I've.had the small stinger on for many years and it's proven useful for all sorts of reasons, other than what I think stingers are intended for. Will be redoing that next year or so as the front frame needs boxing or I'll tie cage into front hoop to help with the flex.

Any updates on the Sniper. My TBI has been having issues that are beyond me, and even a friend who I had do some electrical. Suspect the sensors but not sure how to confirm model year and take a stab at buying some replacements off eBay.

That's my old Paki top right - if so, looks like it's really held up well over time (recollect the powder coating I had done was insanely thick).

Looking good. I've.had the small stinger on for many years and it's proven useful for all sorts of reasons, other than what I think stingers are intended for. Will be redoing that next year or so as the front frame needs boxing or I'll tie cage into front hoop to help with the flex.

Any updates on the Sniper. My TBI has been having issues that are beyond me, and even a friend who I had do some electrical. Suspect the sensors but not sure how to confirm model year and take a stab at buying some replacements off eBay.

That's my old Paki top right - if so, looks like it's really held up well over time (recollect the powder coating I had done was insanely thick).
Thanks! Coming along slowly. Trying to learn more about fabrication and making quality modifications rather than just to get by.

I haven’t really done anything with the sniper or driving it. My tags expired in 2018 and I haven’t really put many miles on it since then. Hoping this year I can do some daily driving and really dial everything in. Is yours a sbc?

I don’t remember who I got the top from. It was a brand new ehsankiani top from someone on here that didn’t need it, and I sourced the bows locally. It saw about 3 winters and did okay. The top itself is fine, but all the buckles and zippers are failing. Would like to repair it or maybe replace it with a troll hole top. They are really nice!

Downey TBI kit on a 2F. Going to swap in a new MAP sensor and IAV and see if that helps, but might be something simple like not having power to MAP or similar. Was running well intermittently, but after having some electrical and fuel pump work done - it's basically not drivable. Will tinker with it some, but have heard great things about the Sniper if worst comes to worst.

If you got the canvas separate, wasn't mine, but nearly identical. Yes, the buckles and other little bits were complete crap - starting rusting immediately (granted I'm in South Florida).

Downey TBI kit on a 2F. Going to swap in a new MAP sensor and IAV and see if that helps, but might be something simple like not having power to MAP or similar. Was running well intermittently, but after having some electrical and fuel pump work done - it's basically not drivable. Will tinker with it some, but have heard great things about the Sniper if worst comes to worst.

If you got the canvas separate, wasn't mine, but nearly identical. Yes, the buckles and other little bits were complete crap - starting rusting immediately (granted I'm in South Florida).
What are the symptoms? I messed with my tbi for a long time and got it running ok, but still was so unreliable. It would be running okay ome day and not start the next.

Always starts right up. Some sputtering and light backfiring while idling, and more so while under load, intermittently undrivable. Looks like it's dumping way too much fuel at idle - but with it having run so well for so long, don't recollect what normal idle fuel pattern was. Friend who did some wiring and converted my fuel cell to an in tank pump thought it was MAP sensor, and tinkering with it does seem to affirm (but I need to test with a meter and vacuum pump). He also rewired system from ignition to separate switch, so might be something to that. Will just replace MAP and see...see below.

Bought this system used from another Mud member many many years ago (at least 10 years ago if not longer), and once I got it installed and figured out, ran great for many years, with only failures being a fuel pump. Seems I've forgotten all that I learned.

Started having intermittent issues last day of GSMTR 2019, worked off and on for awhile (would load on trailer running perfect, then revert back when dropping off trailer and/or taking a hard hit on rocks, etc.). Did find that the inner hood lip at cowl is rubbing the MAP sensor, so will relocate that this weekend....might be the problem (doh!).

Luckily all the sensors can be tested with basic diagnostic tools, like you said. Makes it simple to figure out small problems! Let me know what you find out, or if you bail on it and go sniper!

Got the rear tail lights mounted. Will wire them this week. One step closer to driving.
Also pulled the bib hinge off the front to clean up and paint. Ended up welding it in the proper position. Since I have the grill hoop I can’t fold it forward anyway. Figured it would be a nice mod to keep down rattles and what not.

A66F92C3-EFAF-4AB9-BF2A-A80219595C41.jpeg

Sorry for all the non hardcore tech here.

Also, my hood hold downs we’re tired and the hinges are wasted. still looking for polished hinges, but replaced the hold downs! They hold the hood substantially tighter.

DCBD3225-695F-4340-BC8D-23DA9FBD7561.jpeg

anyone need these other panels? There are for the rear lateral pieces and bumper I only need the main frame outer panels. $50 plus the ride.

9D37F567-B8C1-4D8F-B9DC-8157DAD5B457.jpeg

@74fj40 Great thread! Do you have any idea what paint you used to paint the rig? Color looks similar/identical to my 40, but my paint has cracked and I have some rust repair panels that need painted. I like the dull red, and would like to paint my rig and doors and top. Keep up the good work!

IMG_3968.jpg

Last edited:
@74fj40 Great thread! Do you have any idea what paint you used to paint the rig? Color looks similar/identical to my 40, but my paint has cracked and I have some rust repair panels that need painted. I like the dull red, and would like to paint my rig and doors and top. Keep up the good work!

View attachment 2683644
Thanks! I like the dull red too. It’s a rustoleum santin. Can’t remember which one it is. Either colonial or heritage

What are your favorite trails around your area of Colorado? I did all the Ft Collins stuff solo and they were pretty easy. This 40 would absolutely walk them all.
have you done Blanca Peak? I had a great time on that one but again, you’d walk it

What are your favorite trails around your area of Colorado? I did all the Ft Collins stuff solo and they were pretty easy. This 40 would absolutely walk them all.
have you done Blanca Peak? I had a great time on that one but again, you’d walk it
I haven’t done any wheeling in Ft Collins. Mostly just drinking 😂.

Also have not done Blanca but it’s high on my list, along with holy cross and 21 road. I’d really like to get out to some harder trails and really test it out. I have run chinamans but only ridden carnage, so that would be fun to do in my 40.

Wheeler lake is one of my favorite trails, not too hard and amazing views. Hackett gulch is pretty close to me about an hour away, will probably be my maiden voyage in the next couple weeks.

Where else did you wheel out here?

The Montrose trails are very short so you might plan for some other activities in the area, such as Schofield Pass or anything above Ouray. Our Cruisers are way more built than needed for the other trails but they are still a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom