Fj40 price guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a lot of posts on "what's this worth" so I thought I'd cut and paste this from another thread where I originally posted it.

I am not the authority on FJ40 prices I am just having a little fun

Here is my Mental "Blue Book"
(for what its worth, pun intended :lol::lol::lol:)

It's tongue in cheek but I think occasionally close to the mark:

$20-30k +
VEHICLE
Perfectly done or better than new
A restored beauty inside and out

OWNER PROFILE
You have a heated garage with a mirrored floor
You buy cans of "spray mud" for effect
You've worked hard, and hey you deserve this, right?
Supermodels look you up

Off to the club--hazzzah!

REACTION
Drool factor off the chart!
IRS Tax Audit pending

$10-15K

VEHICLE
Really nice in all respects, good original shape
Saved money/time by "buying out" someones work-if done right
Well done mods, not too radical --the usual stuff
A frame up build or body in "desert" condition
Possibly a highly modified rig by a good builder

OWNER PROFILE
You're buying this because you've been down this road before and you know what you want and what it costs
You saved up and got the one you've been wanting

CMON kids---Off to the camp!

REACTION

SCHWEEEEEEEET!
Man, some guys have all the luck!
Write it off,---It is a business expense after all!

$5-9K
VEHICLE
Decent to really good looking rig
might be worn but it's drives well
Capable to use for a good long while before a build
A good off-roader built for function
Big range of condition here from super deals to rip-offs

OWNER PROFILE
Lets get this thing in the dirt and have some fun! Wooo hoooo!
It aint no freakin JEEP!
Got a heater in the truck and I dont give a ......

REACTION
When we going hunting?
The FBI and ATF have noted you as a "person of interest"
You put your whole tax return into this

$1-3k
VEHICLE
Potential, potential, potential!
You want to do a build/project
Hopefully mostly complete especially so at the high end
Good start with sound frame/body
Was running in the previous generation's memory

OWNER PROFILE
Dreams, Ive got my dreams to remember........
You have the sickness, you will be doing a build---here's mud in your eye, and rust, and wire wheel splinters, .......
I can do it myself and save money :)lol::lol::lol:)
it costs so much I have to keep it

Hey kids-- we'll all go camping when I get it finished next year!

REACTION
So where you been lately?
Is that it? In the back of the pile?
I'm sorry sir, your credit card was declined
You ever gonna finish that thing?

VEHICLE
$1k or less
Parts truck
A lawn ornament
I've got all the time in the world

OWNER PROFILE
Insanely misguided
Oh my god! I just spent 20 grand to build a 10K cruiser!
I'll bring some blocks to hold the "trailer " up when we pull er out

Hey boy! You gotta mow around the FJ too

REACTION

Sooooo, what you doing with the other ones?
Purty nice truck, you lookin to trade or sumtin?
You ever gonna start on that thing?
The government pays you to build it as part of the stimulous package

well i somewhat fit into the profile for my vehicles range. and when im done it will be in a completely different range! will be very helpful to people looking to buy a rig

i think somewhere you should add for people who haven't bought one before, decide what your gonna do to the vehicle and get a price on the mods/upgrades/repairs and double it. i didn't believe any of yal when i first asked questions and im nearly at my original budget limit and its not even a rolling chassis, but its gonna be sweet when im finally done

Are you a professional psychiatrist?

May I tell you (since I'm laying down on the couch)that you have described my sickness to a tee..:hmm: 6 years ago I spent $5,000 and wanted to do a build
(cheaper than I could buy one for w/ everything I wanted) and now $30,000 in, it's me and her till they nail the coffin.:D

Last edited:
build

"(cheaper than I could buy on for w/ everything I wanted) and now $30,000 in"

:lol::lol:

Yes I have climbed two vehicle profiles and I am still in Primer and needing bodywork---with no corresponding improvements in the owner profile!

But I can say the 2 worst vehicles I owned were the ones I bought brand new===they never got better only worse if you know what I mean

Geez,
I think I'm in the mow around it lawn ornament. Very true here my friend, I think we'll need to adjust some more for the down the crapper economy in another few months!! Enjoyed the thread I wish everyone else could see it this way too.

Nice write up,that was funny! Im' in the 1-3k area right now,like the wire wheel splinter comment! Ouch those buggers friggin' hurt,time for a clear full face protection unit.The safety glasses are a joke with those.Pulling splinters out of my coveralls also,the damm things don't last that long and at 5 or 6 bucks a pop.They work good though,funny post.It's good to bring a little humor into this as alot of folks seem way too serious about our sickness!
I guess it is serious business,but we have to try and enjoy the ride a little!
John:beer:

4 years ago had to get one.. Pre IH8Mud member . Wish I could do over again ... Im still happy with the outcome just wouldn't have had to do things twice and for half the price. Im sure Im not alone on this... You live and learn ... Thanks to everyone on this site for all the great info...

So true just another couple grand and she'll be finished this time for real. Wife bought it the first time second time was a tough sell and I'm not really liking the odds of this third go around.

I love this thread...I'm currently the 10-15k builder moving towards the 20-30k builder quickly...haha. And yes I love the perfect floors...a bit OCD but well worth it. Thanks for the rockin write up. Cheers n :beer:'s

I'm in the bought one cheap, but the amount of time and money I put into it I could have just bought one fully done for less $$ than I ended up spending in total...

I'm in the bought one cheap, but the amount of time and money I put into it I could have just bought one fully done for less $$ than I ended up spending in total...
Just take that as spending money on your education. Whenever you start looking for another 40 you know exactly what you want and will not take. Some of these lessons are priceless.

Just take that as spending money on your education. Whenever you start looking for another 40 you know exactly what you want and will not take. Some of these lessons are priceless.

True, and then you start all over spending way to much on an other project.:rolleyes:

I just see the hours spend as hobby time.
I get to spend time on a hobby, which costs a lot, and get a cruiser in the proces.
Who says they are expensive to build. You just got to love the journy.;)

I saw another thread in the same vain where a guy was asking what people had on their "wish list", that would be funny to add to this hilarity......

$1-3k range trucks have a wishlist of $3k that ends up being $6k and so on....(yes that's me);)

$1-3k truck plus $3k wish list (which equals a year and $6k) = $7k-$9k truck with enough time and emotional investment to equal $15-$20k (ie...sorry I can't sell it to you for $8k):whoops::doh:

^ This is my definition of "cruiser sickness" and I don't think there is a cure; seeing as we all get on here and talk about cruisers if we aren't: driving it, wrenching on it, dreaming about it, planning for it, buying for it, or drooling over one that is the "look/function" we want out of it!!

Great thread!

That is funny stuff, but true.

I started at 2K, end at 15k, rolled it and in one day started back at 2k, back up to 15K, rolled it again on the Rubicon, back to 2k. All I learned is my wife calls the 40 The Redhead who gets all the money and that I still can’t drive, but I have checks in the book, so I will keep practicing my driving.

A Garage that doesn't already have other "occupants" would be nice. Owning 2 fj40's out of 8 total cars means other's :princess: get priority. But soon as I move out to my 40 acres...very soon then pole building goes up and the fun can begin ;) Great concept...and pretty accurate!

Nice review. From my perspective, in the middle of field with the 40,
this is all true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom