FJ40 Power Steering U Joint help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJCowboy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure I haven't searched all the posts, but have done a fair amount. I recently purchased a '69ish FJ40 with FJ60 power steering upgrade. It appears my steering shaft u joints are wearing out and I would like to replace them. I fully admit I'm not the most mechanical, but I have a mechanic buddy and this forum that can hopefully help me out. I've searched various auto parts stores and websites and just not sure exactly which u joints I need. Various upgrades were done prior to my purchase, so knowing what year part has added to my confusion. Long story short per the attached photos, can someone help me identify the right u joints needed and then if someone would know a local part store that carries them. I'm attempting to get everything buttoned up this weekend before Overland Expo next weekend. I'm out in Reston and thanks in advance.
IMG_6892.jpeg
IMG_6893.jpeg

Wow those look huge! I am not sure I have ever seen it done that way....no help here.

Hmm...well I'm guessing this isn't going to be an easy task and definitely not going to take care of this weekend. I am going to replace the steering tie rod ends. Ultimately, I've got a pretty bad shimmy/shake in the steering around 25-27mph and mostly when the vehicle is slowing down and coming to a stop. As soon as it gets above or below that speed it stops.

It’s actual not a hard job I just redid my steering with Flaiming river stuff. You will need to find out what end is at the firewall/ steering shaft. Then you will need a double D collapsible shaft to a double D union at the box. (I do not know what spline count a 60 box has.)

Take it off and look to see if there are any part numbers. Maybe Spicer or Neapco parts. Looks like u-joints for a drive shaft with the straps over the caps.

Or leave it on and take some brake clean and a brush to it and see if you can see numbers.

Thanks for the advice. Cleaning the engine bay is my list for today. After that, I will see what I can find out.

Update, so still not sure on the steering U Joints. I tried to find some markings on them but was unsuccessful. We did have some success with the tie rod ends. As mentioned, I'm still new to this mechanic world. I ordered a set of tie rod ends from Cruiser Corps a couple of months ago. Once we pulled them out, we quickly realized they were not the right size. The previous owner had upgraded the tie rod and it is running High Steering kit. Both of which use GM 1 Ton tie rod ends, which is a great upgrade but not stock FJ40 tie rod ends. Long story short, two separate trips to Autozone (Manassas Park) and Napa (Picketts Road) from Reston/Herndon. We got them installed. Also noticed some leaf shackles bolts and U Bolts were loose. All of that installed, greased, and tightened. Everything seems to be riding a ton better. Discovered a motor mount that will need to be replaced as well. Once again, this all new to me and lots to learn. I will post up some photos of before and after.

Frankly unless there is wear and/or slop in either of the U-joints I don't see anything blatantly wrong with the steering shaft at least from what I can see in the two photos. It has a slip joint near the top and a U-joint at each end- really all you need if done correctly. I doubt if your shimmy is coming from the steering column if everything is in good shape there.

Frankly unless there is wear and/or slop in either of the U-joints I don't see anything blatantly wrong with the steering shaft at least from what I can see in the two photos. It has a slip joint near the top and a U-joint at each end- really all you need if done correctly. I doubt if your shimmy is coming from the steering column if everything is in good shape there.
Thanks for that. Agreed, after the work this past weekend I don’t think it is too bad. The steering shaft will move just a little bit towards the slip joint at the top. So maybe it is good.

I'm sure I haven't searched all the posts, but have done a fair amount. I recently purchased a '69ish FJ40 with FJ60 power steering upgrade. It appears my steering shaft u joints are wearing out and I would like to replace them. I fully admit I'm not the most mechanical, but I have a mechanic buddy and this forum that can hopefully help me out. I've searched various auto parts stores and websites and just not sure exactly which u joints I need. Various upgrades were done prior to my purchase, so knowing what year part has added to my confusion. Long story short per the attached photos, can someone help me identify the right u joints needed and then if someone would know a local part store that carries them. I'm attempting to get everything buttoned up this weekend before Overland Expo next weekend. I'm out in Reston and thanks in advance. View attachment 2098757View attachment 2098758
Resembles a FJ55 shaft...
P1010346.JPG
Screenshot_20191018-075326.png

It's a fairly common swap, though it's not used as much anymore due to low supply and the availability of lower profile of dd's and Flaming River collapsable shafts.

Last edited:
Resembles a FJ55 shaft...
View attachment 2110256View attachment 2110257
It's a fairly common swap, though it's not used as much anymore due to low supply and the availability of lower profile of dd's and Flaming River collapsable shafts.

@Stumpalama Thanks for following up and appreciate the insight. I'm starting to learn that there are various upgrades on this rig which is great, but from a maintenance standpoint, I have a lot to learn across multi-generations of FJs. To the best of my knowledge, this rig was built in 2009 by @hatfieldcb and was really well built. I'm trying to document all these nuisances as I discover them for future reference. I'm not familiar with the Flaming River collapsable shafts, but I will need to do some research for if/when I need them. I look forward to meeting some of the other club members and maybe I need to have a part identification party at some point.

Thanks

@FJCowboy get a notebook to wright down all the upgraded components you find. That way as the project gets older and you need to replace a worn out/ broken part you can remember what year make and model it was off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom