fj40 odometer repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The odometer meter on my 82 fj40 stoped turning today, the tenths work just the miles won't click over, it stoped when it was turning the next 1000, just won't go

Is it repairable? if so how? Maybe it justs needs cleaning up? the manuals show nothing about the odometer

finding a nice 81-83 cluster prolly isn't gonna be easy. It aprears the parts or no longer made. Local spedo shop said they can't fix it but can send it out someplace to be fixed.......problem is its a 3+ month wait and $150-300.

BTW I am SURE I jinked myself today, made some smartass coment about cruiser odo's not working........of course I said all mine did and its friday the 13th

also
OK, I started playing with an old odo I had, got it out and in my hand....now trying to figure out how it works. I got the outer gear off(that turns the 1/10's) but now I don't see how the rest comes apart. I see one more snap ring but its behind a brass thingy, so even if I pull the ring the dials won't come off to get to the other gears inside.

BTW it looks VERY VERY easy to roll the odo back......dang now I know where all the low mile 40's come from

also wonder if a fj60/2 odo is the same?

Weren't you just saying that you had no malfunctioning speedo clusters somewhere, John? Today? Jinxed yourself?

yep.........that will teach me. and was the 1st thing I thought of when it didn't roll over to 1.............. :D :whoops: :slap: :doh: :flipoff2: ::) I did make a note of my jinking in my 1st post.......just in case someone was on the ball :flipoff2:

now tell me how to fix that damn thing, I got a older odo I am playing with, I can't get the numbers off the rod........

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=11483;start=msg104705#msg104705 date=1076732921]
Weren't you just saying that you had no malfunctioning speedo clusters somewhere, John? Today? Jinxed yourself?
[/quote]

I'm clearly being rushed too much today. Need to read the whole post. And pay attention to what I'm doing. :-[

Well, I know someone around here has done this. No experience myself, John, but I think it is a matter of pulling it apart and lubing it somehow.

Pimp,
I have two clusters I bought for parts. I needed an oil gauge. One is for a 77 one is older based on the design of the back looks different. If you find out the speedo from the old one will work in your 82, you can have it for the price of shipping. The face plate may not be good. I'll go check if you want it. I'll keep the 77 in case I need it.

Ken

I had the same problem in my 79..

I just took another set of numbers off of a junked speeds and replaced them. Worked great until I replaced the speedo with an autometer.

Basically the littel internal plastic thingie that resets the numbers broke off.

Take the one that you have apart already and put it in..

Pimp,

Same problem on my'80. Its common. There is info in the Techlinks section of this site for the fix. I used this one and it worked fine (cut and paste below).

40 series trucks, particularly in the colder climates, have a tendency to develop an annoying problem with the odometer and speedometer. The former stops working - usually the 1/10 dial would turn but the kms wouldn't - and the latter would sometimes jump with the odometer tried to turn. Here's what I did to fix mine:

Remove the dash cluster, and the speedo from the cluster (you don't actually have to unbolt the other gauges if you remove all the screws).

Remove the speedo needle (pulls off) and face plate.

Just above and to the right of the odometer numbers is a small metal pin. Pull this out, and the odo can be removed from the plastic cage.

Remove the small e-clip at the left end of the odometer. (Of course mine went flying, but luckily I had one that worked, so be careful when removing it!)

Remove and stack all the number rings and the gear mechanisms between them.

Clean the metal rod thoroughly (mine was quite sticky, which is what I think caused the odo not to function properly). Also clean the inside of each number ring. Lube the rod.

Reassemble. I put my black number rings on in reverse order. Be careful that you get the numbers lined up evenly.

Damn it! posted a reply and it got dumped! grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

thanks for the help guys.

one problem is I can't swap just any odo in, the 82 goes to 1 mil miles, the spare I have is just 100k.

The spare I have does not come apart like it says it should, there is no 3 clip on the left side, but on the right, its off but a little brass bushing is still on and it won't come off, so the odo can't be takin apart. Maybe the 82 unit is more like the one the info is for.

ROmer, thanks man, I might be taking you up on your offer.

Also I might take some of the spare parts to the speedo shop and with those parts they can get my 82 repaired? maybe ;)

I hate little crap like this not working :mad:

Maybe seeing how friday the 13th is over......it might work fine today....I can hope :)

So it looks like a fj60/2 odo is the same as a late model fj40. So I am looking for a working speedo/odometer with around 130,000 on it.

I managed to bugger up my fj62(off the sorta parts rig) speedo trying to run the miles back from 340k to 130k(what the 40 has on it) So I aint messing with that again I just want to pop the odo out and pop the new one in the 40

if you got something let me know at
jholmaas@hotmail.com

Pimp -

I know this is an old tread, but I am having the same exact problem with my 82 FJ60 odometer. I am going to try the advice that NJFJ40 recommended. My local odometer shop wants $250 for repair, they say its the motor without even looking at it.
Anyways let me know if you ever resolved this and how.

Thanks
Chris

John,

You can get the brass bushing off. Can't remember how I did it but it came off. Its pressed on and just takes a bit more force than you probably thing you should apply. Give it a rip.

Kevin

Pimp -

I know this is an old tread, but I am having the same exact problem with my 82 FJ60 odometer. I am going to try the advice that NJFJ40 recommended. My local odometer shop wants $250 for repair, they say its the motor without even looking at it.
Anyways let me know if you ever resolved this and how.

Thanks
Chris
Very old thread I know, but I'm having the same problem with an '83 40. Can anyone verify that the cleaning method described here works, before I try and take mine apart.
Thanks
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom