FJ40 odometer Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, My odo wasn't working on my '71 when I bought my 40. I took it all apart and found that it was all gunked up, I could barely turn the numbers by hand. I took it apart and cleaned it extremely well and everything spun much easier, however, I found that the little worm gear was pretty chewed up. My guess is that this polyurethane gear spins against a metal gear, which spins with the speedo. the numbers being gunked up stopped the poly gear from spinning, and the metal gear chewed it up because it was still being activated by the speedo.
A few questions:
1. Do they still sell that gear new, if so, does anyone know where I can get it? if not, does anyone have one they want to get rid of?
2. How do you get that gear out? I couldn't figure it out. I was afraid to take the speedo spring apart, which is probably how you get that gear out. Any tips? Below are some pics to show what I'm talking about.
Thanks! Eric
Worm Gear 1.jpg

Worm Gear 2.jpg

I think you'd need to replace the whole speedo assembly to get that gear:

CombMeterSpeedoAssy8008to8410.JPG

:beer:

PS.. The above pic is of a late-model speedo.

So if I was in your shoes I'd look at buying a second-hand combination meter for a 1971. That way I'd get spares for the gauges too.

Thanks for the replies. I've been through every page of Rudi's thread, and there is only one mention to the inner workings of the odometer, which is linked to a different thread. But it is a newer style odometer and completely different. I've posed my question on that thread, so hopefully someone replies. (fingers crossed).

What was awhile ago... I ended up sourcing a whole new speedo cluster and gauges locally for cheap, and just cleaned that one up. Never could find the gear or get a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom