FJ40 Leather Seat Upholstery Replacement Source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a source to recommend for leather seat upholstery replacement set? eBay search for "FJ40 leather" results in only 34 results TOTAL. Most of those are Chinese shifter boots, maybe a Chinese key fob. No replacement seat covers...and I mean real seat "covers"...not the slip covers, i.e., rather real seat upholstery replacement leather that abuts the actual foam underlayment, not just covering the old upholstery that is there.

It's a good business opportunity for someone to sell seat upholstery on eBay for FJ40s unless the market is just that non-existent.

$OR doesn't have leather sets either. just vinyl. I am not sure about Cool Cruisers of Texas or anywhere else. Do you know?

Does anyone know the last year that had the 60/40 bench seat in front, like in this $85,000 (!!!) asking price HJ45 diesel, and what is that bench seat called? The sources I have say that 1979s all had front bucket seats, but it seems that the Latin American 1979 FJ40 and BJ40 (and HJ45 apparently) had 60/40 benches.,

1979 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Pickup | eBay

60-40 front bench land cruiser.JPG

I’ll be having mine done in leather but I have the split bench and long jump seats.

I’ll be having mine done in leather but I have the split bench and long jump seats.

The split 60/40 bench is what I'm talking about. Is there a name for that bench?

Are you having to have your seats done custom in leather? There is a no replacement set to buy? It would make things 1000 times easier and less costly.

Mine will be custom as I’m doing an embossed custom color. Solid colors are less expensive. Do you have the original set?

I have the originals that are just like in the HJ45 photo above and what you have... a 66.6/33.3 split bench, and unlike the HJ45 above but very much like yours I have two fold down bench seats in the rear.

Mine has the split top for the passenger side. I was trying to find a set of orginals that weren’t falling apart to send to one of my manufacturers.

Does anyone have a source to recommend for leather seat upholstery replacement set? eBay search for "FJ40 leather" results in only 34 results TOTAL. Most of those are Chinese shifter boots, maybe a Chinese key fob. No replacement seat covers...and I mean real seat "covers"...not the slip covers, i.e., rather real seat upholstery replacement leather that abuts the actual foam underlayment, not just covering the old upholstery that is there.

It's a good business opportunity for someone to sell seat upholstery on eBay for FJ40s unless the market is just that non-existent.

$OR doesn't have leather sets either. just vinyl. I am not sure about Cool Cruisers of Texas or anywhere else. Do you know?

Does anyone know the last year that had the 60/40 bench seat in front, like in this $85,000 (!!!) asking price HJ45 diesel, and what is that bench seat called? The sources I have say that 1979s all had front bucket seats, but it seems that the Latin American 1979 FJ40 and BJ40 (and HJ45 apparently) had 60/40 benches.,

1979 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Pickup | eBay

View attachment 2495907

When did Toyota use leather in the 40 series? Have old seats with original covers. I can tell how they worn that they are vinyl not leather. Leather cracks here in the desert if you don't condition it regularly.

When did Toyota use leather in the 40 series? Have old seats with original covers. I can tell how they worn that they are vinyl not leather. Leather cracks here in the desert if you don't condition it regularly.

I don't think they ever used leather in the FJ/BJ40...but originality is not my goal. I just like leather on seats just like I prefer leather shoes. I prefer not wearing vinyl shoes and a vinyl jacket, and I'm not in the desert so in my region leather is great for seats. I also enjoy conditioning leather seats, so even if I move to the desert (which I really don't expect to do) then I'll be positioned well to enjoy to enjoy my seats! :)

I don't think they ever used leather in the FJ/BJ40...but originality is not my goal. I just like leather on seats just like I prefer leather shoes. I prefer not wearing vinyl shoes and a vinyl jacket, and I'm not in the desert so in my region leather is great for seats. I also enjoy conditioning leather seats, so even if I move to the desert (which I really don't expect to do) then I'll be positioned well to enjoy to enjoy my seats! :)

Because vinyl is what was used and available from a number of vendors in vinyl doubt there is enough of a market for someone to start making and marketing leather upholstery. Have one of my vehicles (not a LC) with leather seats. It is a Toyota and in the US if you want an option that is not in the base vehicle you end up with leather seats to get the option you want. I purchased nice fitted cloth seat covers. Have a 4Runner made seventeen years ago with cloth seats. They still look like new. No way leather would hold up that well in the desert not to mention not being able to sit im them if the vehicle was parked in the sun during the summer.

My FJ80 LC has leather, so does my GMC PU, wouldn’t want anything else as we live in a very dusty summer environment. Leather wipes down easy and doesn’t have the extreme temperature effects on the occupants like vinyl - we have winters here as well. I’d love to have leather in my beaters but I’m too cheap 😆.

There are many qualities of leather. In most modern cars the leather has so much top coating it’s not really breathable and doesn’t have the supple feel of quality leather. My previous 40 was done with high quality cow pull up made in Italy and if you sat in it you wouldn’t want to sit on Anything else. Leather if taken care of will last a looong time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom