FJ40 hardtop storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched and found a few threads where folks built a DIY hardtop lift with parts from Harbor Freight/Home Depot. Has anyone had any luck using a kit already put together for a jeep (can’t believe I typed that 😀). Seems to be plenty of options out there just don’t know if any are right size. My wife is trying to get some space back now that the top/doors are off and taking up precious garage space.
KB

There is a thread where someone made a dolly to hold the top so it could be moved around - wasn't too complicated. I just stored mine up against a wall with old lawn pillows on the bottom to project the top. Didn't take up too much space. The top is heavy - not like a Jeep.

I take mine off and on using this Racor lift from Amazon. Its an easy, one person operation after years of begging friends for help with it. Then I built this very basic dolly to store it during the Summer. Rolls into a corner easily and all doors store inside.

unnamed (1).jpg

Fotor_155757134576013 (1).jpg

Fotor_15921052409423.jpg

Fotor_159210527804765.jpg

I fabricated a ceiling hoist using pullys, aircraft cable and a hand winch from a boat trailer and it worked fine but I was never comfortable not knowing the load bearing capacity of the ceiling attachment. This winter I bought a rolling gantry and hoist from Northern Tool. I backed in, lifted the roof off then pulled out and back in, front first. The LC fits perfectly under the raised roof so no need to take it down and store it elsewhere. An unexpected bonus was the ability to hang my bike on side of the gantry which freed up some additional floor space. I figure the rolling hoist will come in handy for other lifting when I‘m not using it for the roof.
F4EFD9B4-8C90-4EF7-80CD-39D1ACAA029F.jpeg
DBCA59BB-99CD-44AA-BA4E-17DAAAA7DB9D.jpeg

I’m looking to do the same thing soon. Was going to try ratchet straps bolted to the rafters in 4 locations but really like the Racor option.

Kev, how is it connected in the back? I see the cable looping under the front. Where (and how) does it hoist up?

I’ve looked at all the jeep lifts but I don’t think they support enough weight. 40 top is just over 200lbs.

9F4658A4-5B61-479C-BD73-A13276D94EFF.png

I’m looking to do the same thing soon. Was going to try ratchet straps bolted to the rafters in 4 locations but really like the Racor option.

Kev, how is it connected in the back? I see the cable looping under the front. Where (and how) does it hoist up?

I’ve looked at all the jeep lifts but I don’t think they support enough weight. 40 top is just over 200lbs.

View attachment 2671084
Hard to see in the photo but I ran the rear cables through the upper ambulance door hinge mounts.

The lift pulls all 4 cables simultaneously as you turn the center shaft, the cables wind around the shaft similar to a winch. Pretty simple and plenty strong enough for an FJ40 top.

View attachment 2671084

The ratchet straps work okay for lifting the top off. But bringing it back down is a complete pia. Ratchet straps don't generally "ratchet" backwards, they release completely. The picture above is what I did in my sisters garage, and it only got used once. I wouldn't do it again. The link below is what I put in my shop and it's a much better system. I used the racor lift that so many refer to. And then a few rubber coated hooks from the local hardware store. The only change I would make is moving the crank from the side of the top to the back of the top. It would allow the cables to wind up more uniformly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom