Hard Top Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
I've seen many hard top lift questions on MUD and searched for the perfect solution. There is no "perfect" solution. However I found a cheap and easy solution so I thought I would share. On Amazon I found a garage storage lift with 250# capacity. The Racor model #PHL-1R. ($140 plus shipping) I simply ditched the platform and replaced the ends with some rubbermaid hooks from the hardware store. Those were pricey at $10 each. If I had been more patient, I probably could have found them online cheaper. Another $15 on misc nuts and bolts since I was mounting to steel and not wood joists.
2012-06-22 19.16.27.jpg
2012-06-22 19.18.34.jpg
2012-06-23 19.49.20.jpg

In Progress

Below is my OSHA approved 12 foot mobile ladder. I had to add (2) 2x3's between the one joist and the bracket to account for the pitch in the roof. And in the last pic you can see how the hooks fit under the top edge.
2012-06-23 17.15.05.jpg
2012-06-23 18.37.49.jpg
2012-06-23 20.52.04.jpg

Final product

Again with how the hooks fit on the top where the ambulance doors are removed. And then cranked to where nobody will knock their head into it. The one thing I need to add for peace of mind is tying some rope between the hooks above the top. Jus tto keep them from sliding if anyone was to give it a good bump with something.

The top needs to be lined up pretty square or once you start cranking it will bind a bit as it's pulling to one side. It's easily a one mand job, but at that height I have to climb a ladder to reach the crank. So a second person on the ground would speed it up a bit. And finally if you wanted to crank it closer to the ceiling you would have to modify it some how. The angle of the cables won't allow it without sliding off the rollers. If you look closely you can see the front cables angled slightly out while the rear are slightly in.
2012-06-23 20.52.17.jpg
2012-06-23 21.23.19.jpg
2012-06-23 21.23.35.jpg

I did pretty much the same thing in my shop, though my ceiling is not quite as high as yours:

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0911-1.jpg

I did pretty much the same thing in my shop, though my ceiling is not quite as high as yours:

I see now that had I turned the brackets the other direction (across the joists rather than along the joists) I would have eliminated the problem of the cables being at risk of coming off the rollers. :doh: I'm not sure if I could have made that work with this ceiling, but if I ever do another one, I'll change the orientation.

Great solutions. I don't have the clear height you guys do. I ended up buying 4 rope ratchets and using 2x4's to lift it. We put a 2x4 under the front of the lid just at the door frame. The other 2x4 went through the back windows. It was easy to remove the windows by just taking out the 3 screws in each. You could put the back 2x4 underneath the whole thing but that would have put it closer to the ground where it would be more likely to be a hazard for bumping your head. We put blocks in the back on top of the 2x4 to keep the weight off the top of the window seal and grommet. This lift is easy to build and cost less than $50. The challenge is making sure you are attaching to joists in the ceiling! We put a few extra holes in the dry wall trying to find the joists. Check out the configuration of the pulleys in the picture and ratchet as that gives the mechanical advantage to make it easier to lift. You can get the ratchet at Lowe's http://www.lowes.com/pd_54992-72607...het&UserSearch=rope+ratchet&productId=3658424 All you gotta do to get it down is have 4 beers to entice 4 friends to man each rope when you get ready to put the top back on!

20150727_100224.jpg

20150727_100301.jpg

20150727_101746.jpg

That's a pretty good deal there. I bought the electric 440lbs lift from harbor freight and it's another great option as well. I spent $80 on it at the Father's Day sale with a 20% off coupon. That thing is awesome, I used it to lift the top off then to lift my new metal tech cage out for painting. I'd post se pics but I'm on vacation in Waterville Maine and I only have one bar of service on my phone.

Thanks for the idea guys. Finished mine today. I upgraded to 5/16 lag bolts and used 3/8 eye bolts. Probably overkill but I made some minor adjustments up in the attic to ensure it could support the weight. Also made sure I was into the studs clean. Made some additional holes and added bolts where you crank it up. Someone noted that it tends to flex. This thing is rock solid. I have weight somewhat evenly disbursed on the Racor and the eye bolts that have gnarly tie straps supporting as a backup, just in case the Racor failed.

IMG_8508.JPG

I like it the only thing I would change is I would lift it a few inches put a few 4X4s between the top and the tub. Then moved your hooks to the side panels so the weight is on the bottom of the side panels during storage instead of the gutter. I picked up one of those units with the same idea. Because I don't have the height you do figure I would have to figure a way to expand the width to match the top to reduce the angle on the cables since it will be a much closer distance.

I like it the only thing I would change is I would lift it a few inches put a few 4X4s between the top and the tub. Then moved your hooks to the side panels so the weight is on the bottom of the side panels during storage instead of the gutter. I picked up one of those units with the same idea. Because I don't have the height you do figure I would have to figure a way to expand the width to match the top to reduce the angle on the cables since it will be a much closer distance.

That's a good idea. I think I will make a slight modification this week some time.

That's a good idea. I think I will make a slight modification this week some time.

The back header spans across the back with support brackets. The thinner side door headers only tie into the side panels with one screw and are more stand alone. Not as bad when lifting right by the side panel. But still like the idea of the fiberglass cap and gutter not supporting any weight like when installed.

I will add I planned on using a 2X4 between the hard top sides with a ratchet strap to keep the sides from spreading with the hooks low. Either that eyebolts in the 4X4s I slide under when I first lift it with cable and spreader bars just above the top. Descent tops were cheaper and easier to find. Hate to damage one taking off and storing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom