Fj40 axles swap. School me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some feedback on my little bobbed ‘86 4Runner project. Scored some fj40 axles for the right price with 5.29 gears and was thinking of using them for my SAS. I know the gas tank will have to be moved to clear the driveshaft but has anyone else done this swap? Any issues id probably run into?
28AFC0C3-46F2-4F1B-9F31-85E8FB5062FE.jpeg

I guess you could, but I also have to ask why? That 40 front axle is way early, drum brakes, likely coarse spline birfs, etc.

Keep the wider rear axle on the 4runner, obtain a 84-85 front axle (disc brakes, fine spline birfs, later locking hubs), do the SAS, steering is gonna be crossover any way and your box is already there.

To each his own, just throwing it out there.

Woody has a write up that’s prolly 20 years old.

Woody also PROBABLY used actual words in his write up too, instead of made up gibberish...

:flipoff2:

I guess you could, but I also have to ask why? That 40 front axle is way early, drum brakes, likely coarse spline birfs, etc.

Keep the wider rear axle on the 4runner, obtain a 84-85 front axle (disc brakes, fine spline birfs, later locking hubs), do the SAS, steering is gonna be crossover any way and your box is already there.

To each his own, just throwing it out there.

the axles were free and bigger housing and already have the gears I was planning on. I also have wide offset wheels to keep the stance wide

Looking for some feedback on my little bobbed ‘86 4Runner project. Scored some fj40 axles for the right price with 5.29 gears and was thinking of using them for my SAS. I know the gas tank will have to be moved to clear the driveshaft but has anyone else done this swap? Any issues id probably run into? View attachment 2316797

you’d be way better off finding a mini axle and use your ifs rear. That 40 axle has drum brakes, coarse spline axles and is spring under.You’d be way farther ahead buying 5.29’s for 8” diffs than all the fab work it will take to make those work. Your deep dish wheels won’t overcome the width differences. You can use your ifs hubs on a mini front axle and the width will match your ifs rear.

you’d be way better off finding a mini axle and use your ifs rear. That 40 axle has drum brakes, coarse spline axles and is spring under.You’d be way farther ahead buying 5.29’s for 8” diffs than all the fab work it will take to make those work. Your deep dish wheels won’t overcome the width differences. You can use your ifs hubs on a mini front axle and the width will match your ifs rear.

What he said. You're going to eventually put disc brakes on that coarse spline 40 axle and you won't like it doing it. Oh and you'll need to center the rear diff. Sure it can be done but again, why?

The ring gear is larger, but so what? Unless you plan on running sticky 42s and hydro steering and will be fully locked, you're fine. I've run 35s with stock original ring gears and original birfs for almost 3 decades with this rig.

Good luck with the build regardless of what you do. It's your rig, feel free to ignore us. Have fun.

Bigger differentials bring lower ground clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom