FJ40 AC - Permanent Removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking opinions on this....my 76 TLC has Vintage Air installed by the previous owner back in 2012. It's a clean job, and records appear to indicate it was done by a shop and not under a tree somewhere. I have never been a big AC guy, but my missus kind of wanted it so we bought this truck with that in mind. The AC blows meh cold and my local shop is at a loss on how to make this unit perform up to snuff. The wife seems to be "warming" up to not having the ac....we drove it all summer here in Virginia w/o it. ........so, ok, to the question. I am thinking about removing the system entirely. It would sure create some room in that cab and under the hood in a hurry. But am I getting into other issues???. I have toyed with going with Restomod, whose AC units are nice looking and somewhat smaller, and I can use the same compressor that's already mounted. The truck is in the shop next week getting the new Dakota dash installed (yay).....so might be a good time to take that pile of s*** out of there and not waste anymore money on it.....or maybe I should throw some more $$$ at the problem......what do you guys think? Sorry to be so long here...

Just curious if you have contacted Vintage Air to ask them if they can tell you why it is meh cold. I'm curious myself as I have a VA unit in my garage to install as well.

Just curious if you have contacted Vintage Air to ask them if they can tell you why it is meh cold. I'm curious myself as I have a VA unit in my garage to install as well.
I did contact them initially but did not get any real help or feedback. I think they just wanted to get me off the phone to be honest.

Yeah I would try again, everything i've seen they've had good customer service.
All AC units operate the same basically. If it was me I'd try a different shop

Sounds like you don't want it though, if you don't need it rip it out. Must not get that hot but here I wish I had AC in mine. It's parked all summer

Yeah I would try again, everything i've seen they've had good customer service.
All AC units operate the same basically. If it was me I'd try a different shop

Sounds like you don't want it though, if you don't need it rip it out. Must not get that hot but here I wish I had AC in mine. It's parked all summer
Maybe I will try them again. It gets hotter than the gates of hell here, with humidity to boot, so if we can get it to work it might be best. Thanks for the input.

If the new A/C system has an integral heater, you might lose your heat when you remove it (if the factory heater was also removed). I would work hard to fix and keep any A/C system in an FJ40. Recall that '40s have zero heat insulation, so the blazing hot floor pan doesn't make life easier for any A/C system.

If the new A/C system has an integral heater, you might lose your heat when you remove it (if the factory heater was also removed). I would work hard to fix and keep any A/C system in an FJ40. Recall that '40s have zero heat insulation, so the blazing hot floor pan doesn't make life easier for any A/C system.
SteveH is correct, I have a vintage air in my 40 and on hot hot 100 degree days, it’s...meh. However, there is no insulation or sound proofing, and even though a hard top, the intention was ‘weather tight’ NOT ‘weather proof’.... more like tin porch awning with screen windows.
But even on the hottest days, it still blows cold air across my knees and keeps my belly button cool. It works good enough....my favorite are those really really hot days, Vintage AC on full tilt....plus 2-60 supplemental air (lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom