1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fj40 1974 intro

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Selloutrr, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello,
    I recently purchased a Dec/74 FJ40 in Washington State and drove it back to Southern CA in 4 days. It's been mechanically gone through and runs like a dream. It's original 1.5F engine (included) developed a crack in the head and was swapped for a 12k 2F w/ 4 speed on the floor. The tub has rust in the rear corners and pan. However a replacement Tub was included in the purchase. My plan is to drive it for a bit, then pull it completely apart and do a full frame up restoration.
    I would like to add a mini box power steering (only want to go to 31" tires max) as well as fit it with a PTO winch.

It runs beautifully my only real issues out side of rust at this point are; the windshield wiper motor burnt up while in use.. I'm going to try to clean and rebuild it. If not swap to a blue bird and modify the mounting plate. My other issue is that the heater (under dash on tranny housing) blows hot air at all times. Maybe I just don't know how to properly turn it off but it blows hot all the time in all positions just some hotter then the rest.
    Between the heater and the engine heat with it 105 degrees out (live in the desert) it's brutal!

Thank you,
    Mark

TractorDoc, 1911 and airon23 like this.
  2. Adog

Adog SILVER Star

Media:
    Mark,
    Welcome to the madness. Nice rig and thanks for the pics. There should be a heater valve on the passenger side firewall hooked to a cable from the dash. Close that and no more heater. Valve can stick open. Have fun with the 40, I see a lot of newer stuff under the hood.

3. Geezer Cruzzer

Geezer Cruzzer

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice rig. Hot all the time is one of the hallmarks of Cruisers. One of the first things I did was put a valve on the water line going to the heater. My mechanic told me to do that back in about 1979.

1911 likes this.
  4. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

Thank you, If I close the valve will it effect engine temp? At the moment though hot in the cab the engine temp sensor runs stable at just left of the 1/4 (first line).
    I'll have to post more pics and itemize the upgrades in the engine bay. Its core is stock but the rest is not.

5. Geezer Cruzzer

Geezer Cruzzer

Media:
    Albums:
    Never a problem for 20 years on our '78 and doesn't seem to be a problem on the '82.

6. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

I noticed last night when I take it out of gear (neutral) and my foots off the clutch it has a high pitch sort of cricket chirping sound. Lightly press the clutch pedal and it goes away. Is this normal or did the clutch throw a bearing?

7. Yamabalu

Yamabalu

Media:
  8. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

9. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

10. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

Quick question. I'm getting conflicting answers in Google search results.

If I wanted to replace the the current 12/74 front driver/passenger doors with '75 or newer (the ability to lock them with a FOB is appealing) will the fit?

Also the rear tube has some rust issues so I'll be replacing it can I swap to a 75 and use my existing hardtop fill mounting holes and add ambulance doors? The idea of not having to deal with moving a spare tire, and opening 3 doors everytime the kids want to sit in the back is appealing. Otherwise I think I'll return this FJ to OEM stock and move the parts to spare frame and buy a later body.

11. drnekFJ40

drnekFJ40

It is a decent 40...I like the color-looks like magnetic grey on mine 10.jpg

12. Selloutrr

Selloutrr

Very cool FJ! Yes I think the bones are good the rest shouldn't be more then a few months to get this FJ restored. I went with a '74 because I couldn't find a '75 that wasn't beat to death or being offered for a reasonable $ (not to burst bubbles but sentimental value doesn't translate to monetary gain). In CA any gasoline vehicle pre '75 is emissions exempt.
    The plan is to start the first weekend of November for a full frame off restoration. Mid October I plan to go back up to collect the new rear tub and original 1.5f engine. I'd like to get back before it snows in the passes.
    The plan is to pull It apart media blast and inspect for rust. Address any issues I don't have replacement parts for and prep everything for paint.
    Then replace all the rubber and seals, badging and stickers. At the same time since this FJ came with almost a complete second FJ in parts I'm going to pick up a '75 frame and transfer most of what is currently in this one to the new frame and finish rebuilding / restoring the original parts and put them back in. Most likely I will paint this '74 Heath grey and leave it stock the second one brown? Tbd and bastardized it a bit more like a trail toy. Lift, brush guards, etc.
    At this point I would love to find a '74 correct PTO winch but $1800 just seems ridiculous to me. kind of like a $300 rear license plate holder The rest of the parts are pretty reasonable. By my calculations I should end up with two FJ's for around $4200 additional $ plus my labor. Before you call bullshit I'm setup to weld, media blast, and paint so that saves a lot of $$$$ otherwise it would easily add $15-20k to hire out.