FJ vs V8 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need your comments on this. Sorry if it's a little bit mundane.

Through the years, we've had several Cruisers starting with the FJ40 to the BJ42 to a couple of FJ80s and now with a LX450. My wife and I (or shall I say my family) do not usually go for the hard 4 wheeling stuff although we do go often on drives out of the usual paved roads and do camping trips every now and then. So really, our needs for our 4x4s are not that demanding.

Lately, I've been trying to talk the wife into getting a FJ. Her counter proposal is to get a 2005 V8 4Runner instead. Her argument is that I can get the V8 4Runner for less than what I would have to pay for the brand new FJ. Added to this will be the extra bells and whistles of the 4Runner. She's probably trying to picture herself in them :)

I have no 4Runner experience (for that matter, nor do I have any on the FJ) and there is no forum on the 4Runners on this site. Does that imply something??? Anyway, I'd like to give due course to the 4Runner idea tho.

What are the pros and cons? I would appreciate your ideas. Thanks a lot for your time :)

Well the 4r and the FJC are built on the same basic platform, so suspension, drivetrain (except V8) are similar, etc. I think they are both great vehicles. If you have to deal with infant or child car seats, I can see the 4r edging out the FJC initially...

4R

Your wife is probably right. If you are not going to go anything more than a rough dirt road, the 4R has a lot more bells and whistles. The FJ is pretty bare compared to the 4R.

I have had lot lot of 4runners including a V8..I have a FJ now..The V8 4Runner is a much nicer all around SUV..Lots of power,super quiet with a great ride..The back seat is also much roomier..Gas mileage is also good for a V8..

malmon said:
I have no 4Runner experience (for that matter, nor do I have any on the FJ) and there is no forum on the 4Runners on this site. Does that imply something???

It implies that you haven't explored it to its fullest extent. ;p Look under "Toyota Truck Tech."

I don't know how upgraded your 4Runner would be--a fully loaded one has essentially everything a LC 100 series would have and be a bit smaller. I actually liked the looks and feel of them more than a new LC. I would go it before a FJC, if I understand your needs correctly.

both on same platform,

What do you mean by that? I don't know much about the new forerunners and I'm also deliberating between the FJC and a forerunner. Do they share a frame, or just suspension and running gear (other than the v8).

We have a 1 year old daughter and another probalby isn't more than a few years off. We have LX450 for packing everyone in for long trips, but for weekend trips and mild offroading (have abuilt XJ for real offroading) I'ld like somthing w/ better mileage than the LX450 and it doesn't need to be as big, though a 4runner might just replace it all together.

What do you mean by that? I don't know much about the new forerunners and I'm also deliberating between the FJC and a forerunner. Do they share a frame, or just suspension and running gear (other than the v8).

We have a 1 year old daughter and another probalby isn't more than a few years off. We have LX450 for packing everyone in for long trips, but for weekend trips and mild offroading (have abuilt XJ for real offroading) I'ld like somthing w/ better mileage than the LX450 and it doesn't need to be as big, though a 4runner might just replace it all together.

I was in a similar situation (got a 9 month old, maybe another child in a few years), labrador retriever, lots of photo gear, etc. Until the baby came along, we got along in our 86 4runner. My choices were a new V8 4runner or used LC 100. We ended getting a '03 LX470..prices were the same as the same year Landcruiser but with fewer miles and certified warranty, so it was a no-brainer. Also, the LX/LC have rear A/C...kind of crucial here in southern AZ. If I didn't have my '01 honda prelude SH w/ 31K mi (not worth trading it in or selling it, as it was one of the last honda's made in Japan of 100% Japanese parts and is fast, but gets 29mpg), I'd be tempted to get a FJ Cruiser 6spd manual. It would probably be fine for driving around town, even w/ the child seat, but too small for a road trip. So far, we've gone on two, week-long 1600+mile road trips w/ the dog (in a 36" crate in the back), jogger stroller (need to take off the two side wheels to get it to fit w/ the crate), dog's stuff, baby's stuff (a lot of stuff), a backpack of photogear, and large duffle for mine and my wife's stuff, even the LX is pretty full, and that's with the 3rd row seats removed, of course! We get 19+mpg, whether driving ~70-72mph on the interstates or across the Rockies. We also really like the split clamshell type tailgate/hatch...the tailgate is a perfect diaper changing table when on the road, plus the glass is UV absorbing (go don't even get this on the Lexus RX..gotta pay $55K+ for that), so it's not nearly as hot when the baby is getting changed, and it provides cover if it's drizzling. :) On the LX, we can lower the hydraulic suspension 2" for easier loading/unloading, plus you get an instant 2" lift offroad with the push of a button, or 3" if in 4wd low. It's also self leveling, so if you put something really heavy in there (like tile), the rear won't sag, headlights won't point towards the sky like all the 4runners in the past did.

Check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ for info on the 4th gen 4runner. I follwed this site for months and especially paid attention to the problems/warranty section. There seem to be certain problems w/ the 4runners, namely moonroof noises, driver's seat movement, smelly exhaust, clunk in the driveshaft (solved by greasing it every now and then) and some cases of vibration in the steering for the V8 at certain speeds. The GX had a similar vibration problem and the reputed fix was to install some isolators. There is still no fix for the 4runner through '05, I don't think (I haven't followed the site closely in the past few months). Some say it's the Dunlop tires, some say not. The landcruiser 100/lx470 don't have this vibration problem. Anyways, these complaints (granted, there are hundreds of thousands of 4runners on the road) plus the durable build quality of the landcruiser/LX470 were enough to steer me away from the V8 4runner. Also, I think the 4runner lacks headroom (I'm 6'1") since one can now only buy it w/ a moonroof in where I live. So far, we are more than happy w/ our LX and think we made the right decision over buying the 4runner. Also, we added an ARB sahara bar and Kaymar rear bar for added protection. You can now get an ARB for the 4runner (wasn't available at the time we had to buy, and that was a factor, as our current 4runner if fully armored, great for driving in traffic), but there is no rear bar to my knowledge; you'd have to get one custom made.

BTW, the '06 4runner (and all LX470's) have projector headlamps...easier to do an HID conversion. Like I said, around town or on day trips, the FJC is probably fine. But in reality, the 4runner is probably more practical for stuff like buying building materials/lumber, carting the kids around, etc.

Last edited:
You can nitpick any vehicle. The bottom line is to research and find what's right for you, not what someone else thinks is right for you.

It's alot of money so research the forums & auto sites like edmunds.com. The answer will present itself after some test drives and reading.

the glass is UV absorbing (go don't even get this on the Lexus RX..gotta pay $55K+ for that),

The 4Runner has UV resistant/hydrophobic glass since 2003. ULEV emissions, meets high recycle standards and is rated a top pick in front and offset crash testing. It really is a quality piece of work, as is the GX470. Toyota's are all good up and down the line :)

Last edited:
some minor point very important to me ..

1. 4Runner 4 doors .. ! very important for chield and other buddys in the rear seat.

2. I hate .. ( really hate ) the driving ( drivers seat ) position in the 4Runner .. legs much as front in the FJC and 100 series 60, 70 etc .. you go really " seat "

Thank you for all your inputs so far. Might just do what seems to be the prevailing sentiments so far. Although the FJ is sure tempting :)

Thanks again guys.

MY GF just got the new 4runner v8 limited..... man what a nice truck... they have come along way from the 4runners I have and have had... Have never ridden in a FJC they seem really cool but dont think I could imagine having one as my only and every day vehicle... with that being said I still want one... some day I will get one... GF says I have to reduce my fleet, I say I have to add more garage space... we will see who wins!

Good luck either way dont think you will be disappointed!

GF says I have to reduce my fleet, I say I have to add more garage space... we will see who wins!

You're not married so you don't have to do what she says (yet). Unless she's withholding "services" from you... :flipoff2:

I think the FJC is a nice truck for its intended demographic: active 25 year olds. For most of the rest of us with real practical concerns (like kids), the 4Runner is a better choice IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom