FJ 62 front clip removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I removed the doghouse (do people still call it that?) from my FJ62 when I swapped in the V8 a little more than a year ago. Seems like it was pretty easy. There are the two body mounts up front under the radiator and several bolts along the firewall both under the hood, maybe a couple in the wheelwells and two near the pinch seam on each side where the lower part of fender meet the body. Some a pretty well covered with caulking. When I put it bakc together I had scraped all of the caulking off and re-caulked it with a similar amount of overcaulking.

Any particular question that you have about the removal? Obviously there are a lot of little things to look for and many wires to disconnect, but it went very quickly. I left the headlights and side marker lights and antenna in.

My plan is to swap in a 4BT. I knew about the 2 body mounts in the front. My concern is with the ones attaching the front-clip/doghouse (whatever the name is) to the firewall. They must be covered as you mentioned. Maybe somebody has a picture of the holes location in the doghouse after being removed. That would help me a lot.
My plan is to label all wires and hoses (even though I might not reuse a lot of them after the swap). Then I will remove the radiator and move parts attached to the fenders to the engine. Finally, remove the hood and doghouse.
I just want to have open space to take the existing engine out and put the 4BT in.

Thanks Turtle60,

I actuall removed the front Grill, valence and outer half of the fenders when i painted my 60. I also pulled the body mounts to do a body lift/bushing replace.

the toughests bolts to get to are the ones on the fire wall along the inner fender area in the corner. get hinged 10mm and 12mm ratcheting wrenches.

IMG_1881.jpg

here's a shot i found showing the fender off the fire wall, and the bolt hole accesible under the hood. I think there's a bolt or two behind the door where it swings too.

Now we're talking...

This will make so much easier on me!

Thanks Hawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom