fj 60 air (smog) pump seizure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 84 fj60 and the air pump started seizing last week. When I take the belts off and manually rotate the pully either way there is a rattling like a bolt came loose and fell out inside. When I turn the pully clockwise (direction the engine turns it) it will turn a couple of times and then sieze. I have to rotate it counterclockwise, and then it will rotate again.

I want to spend as little as possible to fix the problem. What would you do?

If you need to keep the air pump for smog testing, etc, there is no cheap solution :mad: If you don't need to have a functioning pumnp you have several options including 1) rebuild the pump (i.e., replace the bearings)without the internal vanes so that it acts as belt tensioning pulley. This allows you to keep the current configuration of pulleys and belts. 2) Remove the air pump entirely and replace the alternator with one that has a two-groove pulley, thus allowing you to run the water pump off the second alternator pulley instead of the air pump.

I just went through this exact problem with my 86 FJ60. I ended up going with dis-abling the pump so it just spins, but will have to do something before I get it smogged this year.
One option is to take yours off and rebuild it. If you can't do it, Man-A-Fre does for about $125. This may be the way I'm going to go, since I'm less than mechanically inclined and don't know what the procedure is. {suggestions from the shop dwellers?} Ebay has a guy selling parts right now that may be able to help you out, but make sure it's the right one for your year cruiser!

I've gotten several air pumps from Checker. Around $75 I think. Not great rebuild quality (Cardon), but usually functional and you can keep returning them until you get a good one. If you do get a cheap rebuilt, I'd rec' checking the integrity of the guts before actually installing it.

i second the above. my 87/60 came with no air pump, and PA just started smog checks(just a vis for me). the local nationial parts(advanced) house has them for around $100.

Heard good thing about the NAPA smog pumps as well, under $100

Got mine from Napa-no problems in 2 years. The core charge is pretty steep though. Carquest also carries them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom