Builds First LC, HZJ77 Build "Kengo" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something fun I found while poking around, a key box. With a nice key in it!!
C34D5292-4604-4704-B33C-70B3B3A091AE.jpeg
F67E3F56-24A2-4025-A384-AD9A3EB63CEC.jpeg
6133A235-FFAB-4FFB-A6F3-8C89B41127EB.jpeg

I also tackled my 24v flasher so I could use LED bulbs in EVERYTHING rather than leaving my turn signals out ha.

I found a thread on 12v vehicles swapping out a .1ohm resistor inside the relay to accommodate for the change in load. After some googling and mathmaticizing I came up with about 5x the resistance needed for 24v. I’m not saying I’m right, but my flashes work well so I’ll take it LOL.

I only had 1ohm resistors so I twisted 2 together and Boom, turns and hazards work great with their fresh LED bulbs.

F778A19B-5938-48E8-A088-E6A50CBEAE21.jpeg

When removing lid, break this little seal
3FFDAF48-DEC3-4060-BD79-5A4A3703C34A.jpeg
E6BDF159-FD66-443E-90C7-EF955BDA8EC1.jpeg

Remove this wire

81758E82-3563-46C8-91AF-187E89F3ACAC.jpeg

replace with .5ohm resistors (or equivalent :rofl: )

Ok last thing. I have been fighting my dang EGT gauge (12v) woth power since day one. Any load on the system (head lights, turn signals, window motor) would drop my needle. Yes, that means at night I was as much as 200 degrees off of actual which is it ok. I tried different converters, direct wires to the batteries, calling auto meter. Everything. What was frustrating is I ever saw significant voltage drop like I expected at the gauge. Tops was .5v. I was stumped and frustrated. I finally read some scholarly articles about thermocouples and came across interference in grounding planes. So I head out, clip a wire from my ground at the converter (small 12vdc converter) and clip it to the probe on the manifold and turn my headlights on....

after cooling off from my Yosemite Sam dance, I made a proper isolated ground and power supply to just my gauge. I attached my ground to the support strap under my intake pipe to keep it away from heat but near the probe. It now is happy no matter what is going on with the rest of the electrical system.

E93971F3-06FF-4150-B00C-33627BCB6676.jpeg

Last edited:
for my relay, because my original plan of using my leftover 80 series light converter fell through when the plug under the back door turned out to not be for a trailer adapter even though it’s the same plug,

Plug under rear, 80 series brake controller plugs right in, but none of them are light related.

I have the same plug as well but never really investigated what it is for. Did you find out what it is for, if not for trailer? The positioning of the plug makes you think it is for something trailer related.

I have the same plug as well but never really investigated what it is for. Did you find out what it is for, if not for trailer? The positioning of the plug makes you think it is for something trailer related.
I haven't figured it out yet, I have a similar shaped plug in the front of my truck behind the alternator, I'm thinking maybe its pre wired for electric lockers? Or do you have electric lockers on yours and a plug?

I just think its comical that it fits perfectly with a trailer wiring plug LOL. The other good thing is that you can find both tail light wiring in the RH side. They run a loom from that side to the other light. Made it easier for splicing.

I don't have electric lockers. I have to figure it out now...really curious to find out.

If it is pre wired for e-lockers then I would expect to see a plug in the dash as well. Like for the fog light switch.

I don't have electric lockers. I have to figure it out now...really curious to find out.

If it is pre wired for e-lockers then I would expect to see a plug in the dash as well. Like for the fog light switch.
That is a good point. I'm going to be heading into that area from some electrical work so I'll take a peek and see.

I stumbled across this photo of a 77, and you can see the plug I'm talking about is connected with a wire harness running forward, makes me feel pretty confident its for the rear locker. I still need to search for a switch plug, but I do know there is a matching plug in the front in a good location for a front locker.

1612801446541.png

Interesting....I am guessing it will show up in the electrical diagram then....but then...the HZJ77 isn't really part of any english worded Toyoa shop manual or electrical diagram.

Some people say RM183E is the book to have for the HZJ77...but the HZJ77 is left out as far as some chassis, electrical and some other 77 specific stuff...I believe.

Interesting....I am guessing it will show up in the electrical diagram then....but then...the HZJ77 isn't really part of any english worded Toyoa shop manual or electrical diagram.

Some people say RM183E is the book to have for the HZJ77...but the HZJ77 is left out as far as some chassis, electrical and some other 77 specific stuff...I believe.
So I have downloaded the EWD for 1992 for HZJ77, its all in Japanese (obviously) and its laid out quite a bit different than the normal EWD fold out pages. I used a tool call "Capture 2 text" to grab things like wire color or system names and try to compare that to other English manuals. But as you said some stuff is just not on the English ones like the DCDC converter for the head unit. Anyway, if you are interested, I can send them your way.

Please. I would like a copy if not too much trouble.

This wiring manual covers the HZJ77 model:

This wiring manual covers the HZJ77 model:
That is really nice, someone definitely went in and translated that. Its missing a few things (like my ECU for an HZ A/T, and DCDC converter, those are the two ive been looking at recently) but really helpful, thank you!

So I have downloaded the EWD for 1992 for HZJ77, its all in Japanese (obviously) and its laid out quite a bit different than the normal EWD fold out pages. I used a tool call "Capture 2 text" to grab things like wire color or system names and try to compare that to other English manuals. But as you said some stuff is just not on the English ones like the DCDC converter for the head unit. Anyway, if you are interested, I can send them your way.

That's awesome. Would love a copy as well. :)

I realize I worded my response poorly, I apologize for that. The documents are still in Japanese, I tried to use some OCR software and translation on it but the original docs from TMC are so blurry in the small font of the diagrams that it wasn't working. So I use Capture2text as needed to find components. Even then you have you put on your Jinglish thinking cap to figure out what the word is based off the translation.

I appologize for that confusion/getting anyone's hopes up.

That is really nice, someone definitely went in and translated that. Its missing a few things (like my ECU for an HZ A/T, and DCDC converter, those are the two ive been looking at recently) but really helpful, thank you!

Which transmission does your HZJ77 have? I was under the impression that the HZJ models had the hydraulic A442f and therefore didn't have an ECU? The manual is definitely still a work in progress, most of it is translated but there are still a couple pages containing diagrams with the locations of various components and plugs that I haven't finished yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom