first gen hater of mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been all over this forum looking and getting ideas so id thought id join. From ohio, 2008 was my first year of wheeling. picked up an '81 last jan. that was fairly clean(for '81) and have been steady modifying it. former honda kid, now i will forever drive toyotas. hope to have an 80 series by this summer. heres some pics.

when i purchased it.
2302_1.jpg

6" lift blocks, 7" springs(fr), rigid ladder bars, a rear axle that swung to the left every time youd shift. the worst case of death wobble ever.

under the knife.
newtruckbuild005.jpg

newtruckbuild010.jpg

cut off everything. painted inside the cab. new carb on original motor, '85 tranny, transfer case

gettin there.
newtruckbuild027.jpg

the bob. cut 13" out.
[
100_1036-1.jpg

finished.
thebob001.jpg

skys front hanger, skys chevy rear kit. F-150 rears. RUF. generic shocks. skys hysteer. 36" tsls on 15x12 wides basic build nothing crazy.

100_0948.jpg

new wheels and rubber. 35" BFG mt's on 15x8 fakies. winch. TG sliders.
100_1107-1.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_1040-1.jpg

plans are to get rid of these rims. lost my width and i hate them. going 15x8 steelies with 2.5 backspacing from summit. switch to 37's, longs, and aussie fr and rr, and duals. new doors and fenders. nothing like a clean first gen. tube. front bumper. fender protection and something simple around the cab. heavily wooded trails in my area. freshen up the motor as well. this is my daily driver. i put around 80 miles a day on it. fun to drive and i can keep up with traffic(65) just fine on 4.10s and my light weight(3300 daily, 3600 trail days). most importantly, i want to get more places this year. harlan and the badlands especially. thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Welcome to mud :flipoff2:

Im diggin the look of any 1st gen, but the thought of 4:10s and 35's is horrible! I hate what little power i have on my 31', i cant imagine 35s!

Aussies are a great product, i love mine!

Well done rig for a newby to the sport... GREAT JOB.. Awesome att. to detail. VERY IMPRESSED.

on the 36's there were 5.71s in there but i broke those(improper setup i think) when i switched to 4.10 and 35's i did notice some power loss but i can still maintain 65 in 5th just fine. 5.29s would be nice but 4.10 3rds are plentiful and very cheap around here. besides ive got an H/O and slightly modified acura to go fast.

I must really lack power with my lil 22r. I can barely hold 65 in 5th, but we are very hilly around here. I can manage a good run at 70 on the right down hill slope...

:beer::beer:I do not think of 79-83 to be a first gen. What about 78 and older hilux, or the stout? I think first gen. started in 1965 with the stout. Yes the 4x4 is '79 but that is a option. Enehoo chime in with comients. By the way I LOVE the green! My first Toyota was a 1980 short box, I had more fun with that truck than shoud be alowed:beer:

Muuuch better! :cheers:

So now i have to do something about my motor. when i bought the truck i got another motor in the deal because this one was not running. i switched out factory carbs and got it to run. a month later i put a weber 38 on and the truck has been running good all year. i sold my second motor cause a friend needed it. well now mine is burning/losing massive amounts of oil. i am putting in 1 quart every other day. it clearly looks like the front main seal and rear seal are both gone. i took the vavle cover off a while ago and the whole valvetrain is black. i have a stripped exhaust flange bolt as well. other than the oil consumption and a little excessive valvetrain noise the truck is still running and continues to make my 75 mile daily commute. a friend of mine said something about vavle guides being plugged or something. i have to have as little downtime and money as possible to do this project because im saving for an 80 series and dont want to cut in to that money too much.

im thinking my best bet would be to find a decent motor and just swap them out. is it worth buying seals for my current motor and having a vavle job done or is it possible im going to find other extensive damage when i take it out. i want to do a much work myself to not only save money but learn in the process. thanks for your help guys. also i do get white smoke while im driving and my woman says my truck smells when shes driving behind me. piston rings maybe?

Have you ran a compression test? White smoke often means a failed head gasket. Are you losing any coolant or seeing any evidence of oil in the coolant or vice-versa?

As many miles as you driving on a daily basis, 5.29s might pay for themselves over time in better fuel mileage. My '83 on 35s went from 14-15mpg up to 18-19 (hwy) after I switched over.

Nice rig!

i have found a complete 22re swap from a 87 truck for a reasonable price. motor, trans, transfer case all coming in the deal. i am going to pick it up this weekend. marlin HD clutch on the short list. considering duals especially since im getting a second case. have some shock hoops and other stuff that i will finally get too. swap pics coming next week. i also might switch the paint to khaki. stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom