Okie dream man cave! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been waiting forever on plans, seems like the norm these days.

Just to get started the dozer guy made a 100 x 100 dirt pad. Foundation plans done now waiting on weather. 70x80 wood frame barn to match our home were building sometime this summer. On the South edge of the property the concrete will extend past the barn 15' so I can wash vehicles or anything else with power spray. I can also do some smoking out of the north wind in the wintertime. Small sidewalk around the north side and rear so I can avoid the mud then nice apron in front.

I’m tired of waiting on the mechanical, electrical and plumbing so gonna wing it with contractor. No permits where we live so I have the luxury of going this route but I will have someone overlook anything I do.

Current question for those that have done this is what’s the best LED lights based on experience? Any recommendations on spacing, height? The rear upstairs of the barn will house my office and I’ll put AC there with some casement windows. The rest of the barn upper level will be open and I’m hoping for large fan to circulate air.

Spray foam for insulation and I’ll be utilizing wood from old home exterior we have on the farm around the interior for some character. For now I just want it framed with roof and basic functional electric/ plumbing. I will place some propane radiant heat eventually. There is already a well next to where I am going to build rom where previous owner was planning a house making life little easier. Half ass Septic system they put in is going to have to be redone.

I hope to tackle a good part of the rest of it in my spare time, keeping me out of the bars…

591FCB2D-C1C1-450F-A845-B01968D517D2.jpeg

E9A6E917-DDC8-43C0-AB92-C27973F71F8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Being a complete novice at this, I am trying to figure out what's the best size window for the walls along with a million other things . I would love to crank them out for some horizontal ventilation in the heat of the summer. The very back corner opposite of the bathroom is going to be the definitive work shop area with the compressor close by. Industrial sink and cabinets will be on walls. Along each wall towards the front I will have some strategically placed work benches and cabinets. I am really leaning on putting a water spicket in the middle of the structure along one of the interior posts for wintertime cleaning. The floor does have drains.

On another note we are rehabbing our old pole barn so we can store the tractors and some equipment along with our belongings so we can tear out the old trailer on property.
This has been a fiasco…
Wife kicked some major butt when we gutted it last fall. 30+ years of crap.
Trying to get it to match the house we’re going to build. We ripped out some pens to extend it.

20C1BDCB-4153-4598-8A5E-25BE9FF91969.jpeg

383AD036-C570-4EAD-9B8E-6C0EC165D506.jpeg

4C9847D9-CADC-4C4A-B446-1CC881A555D2.jpeg

FDF1A92C-C606-4D56-9669-366C7D92FD87.jpeg

Don't forget that propane heat gives off lots of water vapor!
This I wasn't aware of, my thoughts are it produces quick results over a specific area where I can work on something. Used commonly in hangars and I have enjoyed working around them.

Might not be a problem in such a large area but people who use it in tents and on boats have trouble.

Well over 2 months and little work has been done. I’m hoping that the little progress made on my “he man woman hater’s club” gathering place will lead to bigger things. The stem wall was poured last week, more to follow this week. Roofing was ordered for the smaller barn. Wood for big barn should be ordered next week. Sea wall forms will be placed this week and more pouring to take place.

The smaller barn will house the tractor, our possessions until our house is built and typical gardening/lawn stuff.

My office will be upstairs looking over the car barn. The engineers for lumber company didn’t like my architects drawings, to appease them we had to go with 8”x8” fur posts. Beam supports/brackets and trusses up top. Of course a metal building would have solved all this but I’m sticking to my dream shop and we will make the appropriate changes needed to accomplish it.

Utilizing the exterior of the old house in some form or fashion on the interior of the barn with insulation. I hope to develop some semi quasi skills doing so.

F1AC0F04-0AA7-4F8C-A0E8-B61B0DD01844.jpeg

1EBF3E2B-9890-40A9-948E-12250A69F453.png

6DC87EEB-F5D6-4B10-898B-DF7DCF2CC9E3.jpeg

7CE223F1-FE35-427A-8241-88B9AFFA77AC.jpeg

8A1972CE-B38B-405D-BA55-4F6EE2467430.jpeg

Last edited:
The smaller barn will house the tractor, our possessions until our house is built ...

Famous last words! (for me at least; hope yours goes on schedule.)

This I wasn't aware of, my thoughts are it produces quick results over a specific area where I can work on something. Used commonly in hangars and I have enjoyed working around them.
1.6 pounds of moisture into your space for every pound of propane burned.
Can be a problem for condensation and rust on stuff.

Little progress, fill dirt delivered yesterday for the big barn. Still investigating alternative ways to heat the large barn including the in floor radiant Route which is just too cost prohibitive at this time when we still have home to build and slow progress selling our place in Steamboat. The costs are still stupid although lumber is reported to be coming down some.

After some repeated discussions with fella helping us we got someone hired to finish roof of small barn. Despite the guy working a few hours on occasional weekends with some of his retired old workers to save us money it wasn’t working.

I guess when he noted our personal items sitting around everywhere, a shipping container and my telling him we have 3 storage units in neighboring town that the lights finally came on. Little disturbing that all the discussions since last fall that I am moving this summer and we couldn’t put home up for sale until we moved things didn’t stick.

Poor guy trying to honor his cousin who was gonna do our general contracting but passed away a week after he and I met to discuss thHe was recently retire fire fighter who I worked with as flight Paramedic 25 years ago.

Current contractor has full time job for large construction firm, helping us on side. As remote as we are he lives 10 minutes from us which is helpful and I do feel he is trying his best to keep things somewhat under control. Despite my grumbling I am very grateful the guy is helping.

Well rant over, at least soon I’ll have some much needed storage space. The inside of our trailer and car port have tons of things to be stored. Even if I wanted someone to come down here (which I don’t) it would be pretty embarrassing.

Hard to tell if dogs enjoying themselves. Black dog rarely swims. Due to heat ponds here are getting some surface algae and I’m reluctant to let them swim until things improve. We already lost a lab to rare fungal infection related to the ponds a couple years ago.

E5E8B0C3-AF4F-485D-81BE-80BF70CD4B03.jpeg

A48811F6-3758-4CC9-942F-8F9DBC9501EA.jpeg

F5AFBAEE-07A9-42D1-9380-4B9CB7ABA03E.jpeg

65E8FAC4-77C5-4618-A229-D29438741DF6.jpeg

098D3FAD-138D-4646-9711-58B663778624.jpeg

791DE771-008F-4B24-BC97-1555927F75FA.jpeg

Still investigating alternative ways to heat the large barn including the in floor radiant Route which is just too cost prohibitive at this time when we still have home to build and slow progress selling our place in Steamboat.

You can always put the tubing in the slab now and hook it up later. The tubing generally isn't cost prohibitive on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom