Okie dream man cave! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazing is how we’re in a horrible drought this year until I unloaded the roofing material for small barn yesterday morning. Now the wife and I sit having coffee in nice steady rain.

I’ve got awesome wife who is taking entire process in stride. We are now living in old trailer house that’s been on our farm for 40 years. It’s our home until the house gets built and barns for storage take precedence.

Big barn did get some more sand, I’m guessing 6-7 truck loads yesterday. Hopefully slab will be poured next week.

Smoking a brisket, enjoying rain on tin roof. Hard to beat, except for our poor troopy half in/out with its broken windshield.

5665124B-BEC9-4D8D-920F-80F939A20D00.jpeg

DC1E8ABD-0621-4FCF-ADA0-1D59E639798D.jpeg

0BED193A-A35B-4D98-A653-0437A02CAA75.jpeg

Little progress this week, roof going on smaller barn early tomorrow.

Plumbers put floor drains in yesterday. I originally planned on drains that would run from front to back of the shop. Going this route with individual drains Saved me $4000.

Hopefully concrete slab will be poured next week.

D9E31F3F-1F8F-4FF8-86DE-7D43A8293DE0.jpeg

C55ADB88-569D-45FE-B221-3C7929C55258.jpeg

E9060FB5-4521-41C7-AB8B-21206B10EA5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Talking about a “slow ride” however meaningful changes happening!
Preparing for concrete on big barn next week of course it rained last night.

Today metal roofing going on the 30+ year old transformed pole barn. Have to admit I love it!! Can’t wait for my man cave to have similar appearance. Sliding doors more difficult to obtain than I thought they would be but I’m told we are on track to get them.

EC794637-07CE-42EB-BBE3-FEFB6A66E884.jpeg

B93B1B67-B01E-4123-82B8-20DD2890944D.jpeg

F64B13E4-0BE3-4BCC-BFE6-574061F5B1F6.jpeg

53EF30B7-F9A0-494B-AD68-1EE51F2E22B0.jpeg

Reading @knuckle47 and @1911 power supply to their respective barns it got me thinking. Now that roof on barn I too need to figure out my best option.

The trailer where power comes off the main pole will hopefully burn down this winter when we are gone.

I intend on burying the power to our home once we can build it so the smart thing to do is just bury line to the old pole barn. Across the old road (pretty much ours since it dead ends here) is another power pole which provides power to my new barn.

There is some old conduit somewhere between the power pole at back of trailer which goes to the old box. I have no idea why guys kept the old box. Nothing works and I wouldn’t use it . Problem is I want power more sooner than later but don’t know any good work arounds.

Be nice to get some lights and a few receptacles on the walls and build a work bench for now.

6475D137-5B01-46F2-920E-71263B75360A.jpeg

9E47F9C0-2D78-4307-8DFD-E189EF21E46F.jpeg

A97D8586-563D-475B-A0EE-403131DCC69C.jpeg

2BA75346-B11B-4E5A-9A60-F7DC086BA629.jpeg

10AEB47D-1D79-4788-8311-FD03F4544657.jpeg

@greenbeast i know your anxious to get the power on. Today I ran my generator thru the meter pan just to try out my wiring, turn the lights on and see how bright they are….That is a great looking building you’ve got going on. I never had our place “farm assessed”. Not to save any real money on property tax but I have discovered that as a “farm”. You can put up buildings where you want and as big as you want. As a residential piece of land, they tell you almost where and how big you can go. we have been here for 4 decades…. I don’t have all that much time and energy to go thru the process nowadays.

your moving along well however slow you think the process is. Hard to believe I started all of this in February

Thank you for compliments! We are very fortunate to be where we’re at. Coming from Steamboat springs, Colorado we had to have demo permits or permit to burn anything at all. There was permit for everything!!

Now we reside at the end of a road in BFE and none of the projects require a single permit, we can do what we want how we want, of course we want it done correctly but the freedom that we have with our property is a nice change from where we came from.

Figure when electrician says I can, I’ll rent a trencher for the skid steer and go crazy digging.

I know that feeling well… when we lived in Vermont….it’s your house, permits?? Hell, if your gonna live in it, we assume you’ll build it well

in New Jersey You wanna change the sink? Permit! You wanna replace the window? Permit! I’m betting that if I spread some grass seed, I’ll need a permit ! 😂

my son put me in jail a few years ago. He had kids.. there is No WAY my wife will move now.

Get back home after being gone a week, wish more had happened but foundation closer every day!

Water spicket on North and south side. North side to wash vehicles and equipment. South side will go inside for small wash jobs.

The delays are working out since wood continues to go down in price.

Walking in the pasture with dogs tonight, flushed some decent deer. Final roof trim placed on the old barn and touch up paint complete. Just need doors .

AA00B0F9-3325-4B39-BA3F-E18D3AE590AB.jpeg

EAC28083-A483-417A-8ACA-812F329206DE.jpeg

06FFC6EC-F848-431F-9142-CC4FDBFED772.jpeg

@greenbeast this is some monster building….I have built many things in my life but never a building. After doing it these last few months I have a whole new appreciation for getting things done. When you see pictures of a project underway, unless you have done it, you just do not get the feel of what is being done and the accomplishments involved. This looks fantastic… especially those wide open spaces

Today another big day and dang expensive one. 90 yards of concrete being delivered.

@knuckle47 o agree it’s freakin huge, everyone said build bigger than you think you need. Of course I have images of Spinal Tap where they build stone hinge prop and it’s a foot tall when done. Being on paper compared to the actual build can be pretty deceiving.

Should be cool when it done and the cruisers are in their new home.

80x70 when it’s all done with an office upstairs. Should be super cool when done. Wife and I will park 5th wheel inside it to live in sometime when we build our house although after getting electrical bid this morning we may have to wait awhile!

Last edited:
@greenbeast I had one bid of $4800 just to trench the 110’ of 4/0 in a 3” schedule 80 conduit. I was fortunate to have an easy wired job inside that I did…material inside was still $1250.00 for wire, panel, boxes and devices. Lighting was another $800.00 and it’s only 6 lights. You have a huge 5600 sq.ft. area. Setup the 5th wheel indoors, picnic area by the door and a huge fan….and you’ll be set for a while.

@greenbeast I had one bid of $4800 just to trench the 110’ of 4/0 in a 3” schedule 80 conduit. I was fortunate to have an easy wired job inside that I did…material inside was still $1250.00 for wire, panel, boxes and devices. Lighting was another $800.00 and it’s only 6 lights. You have a huge 5600 sq.ft. area. Setup the 5th wheel indoors, picnic area by the door and a huge fan….and you’ll be set for a while.
That's the plan, with large enclosed space the dogs can have free run inside. We have a quasi GC helping us. I am going to sit down with him and discuss some ways to spread out the costs.

You have to love a quote that is to the point!
Hamilton Barn
Electrical installation per electrical drawing
Bid does not include light fixtures or ceiling fans, includes 14 LED High bay fixtures
Turn Key
Progress Payments will be discussed.

$65,000

And that's it, I gotta pull my plans and see what the hell I put in there. I know I didn't put $65,000 worth of crap.

Actually got call from my GC (loose term) while typing, turns out he has had quote for couple weeks and didn't want to give it to me as he worked other bids. Somehow the message about how I want minimal stuff done so I can pull wire and install heaters later got lost in translation. Time to enlist my buddies one of which is licenses electrician. Cost of beer may exceed materials when I go this route!

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS!! That is some bid…. This must include the elevator too. Funny you mention your electrician friend…. Here in the ”garden state” the homeowner can do the electrical work as long as it can pass the code inspections. So my son’s friend is a union electrician and works for a big company. He came over and did the trench, 3” conduit and 4/0 wire stuff. another friend of mine who retired from that same company told me “ don’t show him the vodka til he’s done “ and we all laughed but he really did a superb job.
You are doing a much bigger job so that easily trump’s my 1100 sq feet…. 5x bigger but it sounds like your still $30k high…. You may have some great taste in lighting….Geez. All I can say is : this is going to be some great building. Looking forward to seeing this when you have it finished…. I may just need to take the FJ40 on a road trip!!!

Bring it on, it’s nice to have a set of friends like brothers. We all did some apprenticeship to the electricians for his father between our junior and senior years. It was fun until sitting on a AC unit in shorts I got nice jolt. We will get this knocked out in a weekend with some good beverages and good food. I now have someone who can bring power in from the pole also.

I respect electricity way too much to tackle anything any more. Since I now have a solid plan moving forward I took wife to pasture to show our tree that had been struck by lightning. Hoping no one would hear her screams when I told her the quote. She is now wandering around mumbling the number.

It’s all gonna be alright!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom