finally have a/c (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after driving for 2 years w/o a/c i bit the bullet and spent the cash to get it fixed. best $1k i've ever spent. somewhere along the line the compressor was removed so i had to buy a new one along w/ a new dryer and expansion valve and have it converted to R134. i'm mildly handy w/ a wrench but know nothing about a/c so i had to pay to have it done. fyi if anyone is looking for a good mechanic in the DFW area, Ben Cahill in forney, tx did the work for me. there are probably 6 old fj's in his lot for various work. for anyone who has done like me and removed the carpet and padding (which allowed so much heat into the cab i was forced to get a/c) i found a great product designed specifically to insulate. it won't deaden the sound as well as dyna$$$ or any of those products but really keeps the heat out and is very inexpensive. check out OpenX

Big D -- How much of that insulation did you buy? Any pix ?

i bought two of the 40 sq ft rolls. it's gonna be more than enough b/c i'm not doing the cargo area. i'll probably put in a double layer. no pics bc i'm still cleaning the factory sound deadener off the floor pans (18V Dewalt and a brass wire wheel works great for the stubborn stuff left behind after scraping that out). i've only rough cut two pieces to place under the front floor mats but the difference is appreciable.

Sounds good (no pun) -- Post some pix when ready. I'd like to see this stuff installed.

Thanks!

there are pics of it installed in several cars on the website if you're interested. i'll try to get pics of mine when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom