Finally got an FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Gang,
So I new to here so I hope I am posting in the right place. I just recently got a 1972 fj40. Manufacture date of 11/70. So I think I may be in over my head but I'm going to tackle it anyway. So the mechanical part is not a problem for me but the body work is out of my wheel house. It has a 350 engine in it and the frame is very solid with only surface rust. The tub is another story. I have just removed it. Front section from the forward pillars/cowl section has only minimal surface rust and is in great shape. The tub itself looks to need the front pan, both rockers and the area on top of the tub what the side connect are rough as well. The mid pan can possibly be repaired with some sheet metal. The rear sill is shot as well. So my question is do I buy the panels I need and repair or do I need to buy a 3/4 tub and replace it. I do have a small mig welder and a small stick welder but I have not welded ever with the mig and only 1 time with the stick. I had an old project I was going to to back in the day but kids came and I never did. I am so excited as I have wanted one of these since the 80's when a friend had one. Money is also an issue so I trying to be careful as well. Thanks for any advice you can give. I am cleaning the frame this week and hopefully painting it as well. Pulling the engine and tranfer and tranny too. Loaded some pic but the order is messed up. Sorry, Thanks Guys!!

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1099.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1101.JPG

Congratulations and thank you for saving another 40. No better time to brush up on the welding experience than now, especially if funds are tight. Good Luck

Wow, that is a fair amount of rust. How does the front section look?

Dang... I swear to never b!^ch about my rust ever again! You MUST be a wizard with a welder :cheers:

That is among the rustiest 40's I've ever seen!

What a fun project!

Welcome! Any backstory you can share on the vehicle from the previous owner? That roof rack is a sight to behold!

Based on the demo that you already performed.......I think the decision to go 3/4 tub has already been made. Being a novice welder and new to the body work game as you indicate in your first post....you'll most likely have a rough time getting everything lined up and fitting right.

I've seen some miracle work done by some on this site with replacing a huge amount of sheet metal, and in each and every instance there is temporary cross bracing installed to ensure the panels don't get out of alignment.

I am in a similar situation with debating on panels between a 3/4 tub. If you go the 3/4 tub route.....I've heard really great things from what Frank is doing at Land Cruiser Heaven (@FloridaFJ80). I've talked with him a couple of times and I am almost ready to pull the trigger on one with him. That is if you want to go the steel replacement route.

What kind of build are you looking to do? Because with where you are at, aluminum is an option as well.

Not a bad idea. If it was made 11/70 it is a '71 model. Looks like a good project and you will definitely be a welding wizard when it is finished.

So yes the roof rack. It was unbelievably heavy. And it was mounted through the sides between the windows. The good is that it is a one owner vehicle. The bad he was 19 when he bought it and like most at that age he didn't really take care of stuff. Two years later he put a 350 in it. He had a carb problem in 1989 and there is sat until I got it. It was full to the top with crap he through in there over the years. Frame and front is great. I have a rebuilt 350 I'm putting in its place. It will do both on and off road when done. I'm pretty excited but know this is a serious time and $$ investment so I have to learn patience. Lol

3/4 tub

Depending on your budget and what you got the 40 for id go 3/4. Have the front end sandblasted to see if the cowl is ok also.

You have some serious work ahead of you. I wouldnt waste much time doing body work its beyond gone man

Welcome!!!!

Not suggesting that you should abandon any idea of repairing your existing tub or that you ought to buy this particular cruiser, but just for some financial perspective/comparison as you go about making your decisions, stuff like this is out there if you are willing to either go get it or have it shipped from the West. Who knows, with no title they might take a thousand-bucks for it. It would still be a nice introductory lesson into welding but far less extreme. It's actually a 1973. Just something to consider.

1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ-40

00303_cibvDt2Lp8r_1200x900.jpg
00A0A_2za6iwuGkr6_1200x900.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom