Finally getting back to normal daily riding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
It’s been a rough 2 years for riding since the move but looking to pick it back up. Just city and dirt road pounding for now with some occasional beach sand possibilities.
Hoping to get back in the swing and in riding shape again.

F43DDD9F-B324-4365-BCBB-961754DA25A5.jpeg

It’s been a rough 2 years for riding since the move but looking to pick it back up. Just city and dirt road pounding for now with some occasional beach sand possibilities.
Hoping to get back in the swing and in riding shape again.

View attachment 2224432
Trying to get back into it this year as well. Raced competitively about 10 years ago now, lot has changed since then. Good luck, hope you find the fire again!

Ditto here. After a pinched nerve (neck) last year and very few miles, looking forward to a good spring with lots of base miles.

Time-Edge-Pulse.jpg

That's the only thing we've been able to do. My sons and I have been hitting the mtn bike trails almost daily.

How did this work out for y’all? I was putting 80-100miles/week on my road bike, trying to get back into the ‘swing’ until July when my mom died. Mortality hit home in a brand new way, and I did a century the next day.

My game has slowly gone back up since then , and even though I’ve only lost 5 lbs (193 instead of 198) I left all my friends behind last Saturday on a 35 mile ride where the middle 10 had 1700’ of elevation gain. That felt extra good because they’re all under 180. 😊

I raced crit and road until about 5 years ago. between work and the stupid risks people were starting to take at local races, I now mainly ride gravel and mountain (fat bike) with some road sprinkled in. time is really the biggest problem. Hoping to get back into a daily routine next year.

Since spine surgery 3 months ago I’ve been stuck with just walking. I can’t wait to get back on the bike.

Regarding time, many years ago my wife had me watch a short YouTube video that purported to have a conversation with god. The interviewer asked god what mans greatest irony was.

The answer was that mans greatest irony is that he spends his life squandering his health chasing after wealth so that in his old age he can squander his wealth trying to buy back his health.

I watched my father do that; I am determined not to make the same mistake.

I saw the caption about getting back to normal riding and it hit home.

I ride every other day when it is warm and just getting back into routine this year. I was riding a week ago in Chattahoochee Hills which is barely traveled roads close to me. On a downhill there was a stick in the road and I didn't see it. I ran over it and knocked me off the bike. I was on the ground and couldn't really move luckily I was riding with someone. Police, Fire department and ambulance came. They could not take me to local hospital because they said I needed to go to the trauma center. After stabilized and out of ER went to a regular room. Six broken ribs, broken shoulder and a punctured lung. Looks like a long recovery but they say I will be back 100% but it will take time. Hard because I have no patience. I’m home now and really doing remarkably well able to walk around so I’m counting my blessings. My bike doesn’t look bad, looks like new handlebar tape and a brake lever and it will be good to go.

I saw the caption about getting back to normal riding and it hit home.

I ride every other day when it is warm and just getting back into routine this year. I was riding a week ago in Chattahoochee Hills which is barely traveled roads close to me. On a downhill there was a stick in the road and I didn't see it. I ran over it and knocked me off the bike. I was on the ground and couldn't really move luckily I was riding with someone. Police, Fire department and ambulance came. They could not take me to local hospital because they said I needed to go to the trauma center. After stabilized and out of ER went to a regular room. Six broken ribs, broken shoulder and a punctured lung. Looks like a long recovery but they say I will be back 100% but it will take time. Hard because I have no patience. I’m home now and really doing remarkably well able to walk around so I’m counting my blessings. My bike doesn’t look bad, looks like new handlebar tape and a brake lever and it will be good to go.
Wow Chris! Several of my cycling friends are recovering from accidents within the last year, so you’re in good company. One actually broke his neck. I can totally sympathize, as I am still recovering from a hiking accident five weeks ago where my right leg tried to separate itself from the rest of my body.

Im thinking you went over the handlebars as the cause for the broken ribs. Do yourself a favor while you’re recovering and pull the fork off the frame for a thorough inspection. Where the bottom of the steerer tube meets the crown of the fork you could have a stress crack hidden behind the lower bearing race. I had one there. And my buddy that was hit-and-run last fall and had his bike totaled bought a ”low mileage” replacement bike from someone who was “spooked” on a ride. His bike mechanic disassembled it on a hunch and found a crack in the same spot.

Thanks Mark! I have a friend that owns the local bike shop. I bought my bike there so he will do a thorough inspection. Can’t drive until I’m off pain meds but I hurry. A friend rode it and carbon fiber seemed to be ok but I still want him to check it out.

I hope all your friends have a speedy recovery!

Thanks Mark! I have a friend that owns the local bike shop. I bought my bike there so he will do a thorough inspection. Can’t drive until I’m off pain meds but I hurry. A friend rode it and carbon fiber seemed to be ok but I still want him to check it out.

I hope all your friends have a speedy recovery!
Chris,

what was telling for me is that I have enough balance to ride hands free. After the accident, my bike had a shimmy when I let go of the handlebars similar to cruiser death wobble.

If it LOOKS safe enough to ride, have him do a hands free road test before tearing it down.

And, in case you haven’t seen this one:

1621901178906.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang Chris, hope you heal up quickly and are riding soon!
Chris,

what was telling for meis that I have enough balance to ride hands free. After the accident, my bike had a shimmy when I let go of the handlebars similar to cruiser death wobble.

If it LOOKS safe enough to ride, have him do a hands free road test before tearing it down.

And, in case you haven’t seen this one:

View attachment 2683638View attachment 2683638
Thanks Mark will do. Even though I’m looking ahead in reality bike is the least of my issues right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom