Finally finished my "not drawers" cargo solution: a convertible cargo/sleep platform that latches into the 3rd row mounts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TL;DR: Check it out here.

When I purchased my GX, I knew that I wanted some sort of storage solution for the cargo space. I have zero need for the 3rd row seats and I like the idea of tucking gear out of site as my rig is street parked. My original plan had been to build a set of drawers, but I was consistently bothered by the amount of space taken up by the frame. And the build process seemed like more than I wanted to deal with (not daunting, just not something that excited me). So I started measuring and sketching to figure out some other options:
IMG_3286.jpg

One thing that stood out to me was the need for "long, skinny" storage for things like camp chairs, a ground tent, a sleeping pad/mattress, etc. Each of the designs that I explored took that need into account as well as a desire for "out of sight, out of mind" storage for a tool kit, etc. I started researching existing drawers, some all-in-one ideas like the Egoe Nest, Landshark drawers, and of course Steve Foltz's design. I ultimately landed on a flexible, removable platform that would create a sleeping platform when needed and otherwise increase storage.

Here's what I ended up with:
5790DB5D-7E60-4721-B153-07D7A2A11F2D_1_105_c.jpeg

5A6E5DBC-B762-4E04-B6BA-E03B87AB39CA_1_105_c.jpeg

117CE3C5-5EF7-4842-B585-BCE0C40FE231_1_105_c.jpeg

The unit is primarily supported by the 3rd row seat mounts, but also has 4 removable legs for added support. It can be easily installed/removed in just a couple of minutes by one person. Total cost of materials is ~$300. I learned a ton building this version, including a few things I'd change.

I'm working on plans right now. If you're interested, drop your email at GXBasecamp.com and I'll shout when they're ready.

I dig it!

That's awesome. There was a guy in Denver selling a sleeping/storage platform that hooks into the 3rd row seat brackets. I like it, but I think I can do quite a bit better than $400. I'm very interested in the plans. I just want a sturdy platform to provide a sleeping spot combined with the folded down second row and a way to haul more gear when the dogs are in the back. A simple platform across the back should provide for both scenarios reasonably well.

That's awesome. There was a guy in Denver selling a sleeping/storage platform that hooks into the 3rd row seat brackets. I like it, but I think I can do quite a bit better than $400. I'm very interested in the plans. I just want a sturdy platform to provide a sleeping spot combined with the folded down second row and a way to haul more gear when the dogs are in the back. A simple platform across the back should provide for both scenarios reasonably well.

You're probably thinking of Steve Foltz. He makes a great product that suits a similar need. I debated ordering one from him, but there were a few things that I didn't love about it (lack of customizability, aesthetics, price). This platform came out to about $300 in materials, but could potentially be done for less depending on your needs.

Hot damn - this is perfect. Looking forward to getting plans.

Nice work!

edit - @amongmany, please share the clearance (free space) under the deck, thx!

Last edited:
Hot damn - this is perfect. Looking forward to getting plans.

Nice work!

edit - @amongmany, please share the clearance (free space) under the deck, thx!

Measurements are on the FAQ's page. They may change slightly as I'm working on a "v2" design which is what the plans will be based on. The new design should increase the under-platform space by ~2 inches.

Measurements are on the FAQ's page. They may change slightly as I'm working on a "v2" design which is what the plans will be based on. The new design should increase the under-platform space by ~2 inches.

Much appreciated - found what I was after (recognizing V2 will be somewhat taller - nice).

That said, do you have any target storage packs/crates/whatever (e.g. Action Packers) you're working with that will be ideal with your V2? Sorry for being impatient, I'm ready to get going with this....

Much appreciated - found what I was after (recognizing V2 will be somewhat taller - nice).

That said, do you have any target storage packs/crates/whatever (e.g. Action Packers) you're working with that will be ideal with your V2? Sorry for being impatient, I'm ready to get going with this....

I have a few in mind, but I haven't designed the platform around a specific container. The goal was to get as much usable space underneath as possible while maintaining the ability to create a full size sleep platform in conjunction with the 2nd row seat backs.

That said, I'm currently working on organizing my own gear under the platform, and part of that process is finding the perfect bin solution. I'll be exploring a few options over the next few weeks including the wolf/cub from Frontrunner, some solutions from Milwaukee and Rigid available at Home Depot, the black/yellow Home Depot bins, and whatever else I can find. I'll be sure to update once I figure out what works for me, but YMMV.

It's also worth noting that there will be a fair bit of flexibility in the platform design. I'm creating plans for what works for me, but once you see how it comes together, there's plenty of room for customization (part of why I went the 80/20 direction). You could augment the design to increase space under the platform, for example, if you're willing to forego the sleeping platform functionality (or you could easily change the platform to accommodate both if you'd like).

Will you be pre-assembling and selling any of these as a complete product? If so, I'm VERY interested in that.

Will you be pre-assembling and selling any of these as a complete product? If so, I'm VERY interested in that.

Probably not. We'll likely be selling off the v1 unit to an interested party, but beyond that we're focused on selling plans for the time being. The build isn't difficult at all and the cost of shipping a complete unit would be prohibitive.

If anyone's interested in seeing it in action, we got out to Trona over the weekend to put it through its paces...
858320A7-5F14-4577-86F5-85099800918B_1_105_c.jpeg

79B2C192-D770-4F85-B76F-CADAB9BEA597_1_105_c.jpeg

This is exactly what I need ! how'd you go getting the measurements and fitting it in? looking at doing something similar to my 80 but i've got the spare in the boot and dont wanna pay for a rear bar just yet and this is the perfect solution to cover it up and sleep in the back.

This is exactly what I need ! how'd you go getting the measurements and fitting it in? looking at doing something similar to my 80 but i've got the spare in the boot and dont wanna pay for a rear bar just yet and this is the perfect solution to cover it up and sleep in the back.

Lots of measuring, test fitting, measuring, trimming, measuring, etc. I used cardboard to mock-up a prototype before ordering the initial set of 80/20 pieces for the frame. By the time I put the 80/20 together it all fit perfectly.

Finished the v2 build and install yesterday. This version increases the under-platform storage by 2 inches compared to v1 (sounds like a little, but it makes a notable difference). Currently working on finalizing plans for distribution.

8B2FAEEB-8EDA-47E2-A587-5B202433740C_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom