Filter cap wrench size - 90915-30002 - 1HD and 1KZ engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is such a simple question it's almost embarrassing to ask... Anyone know what size cap wrench fits on the 90915-30002 filters for the 1HD and 1KZ engines? I've had two instances now where the filter was so tight it could not be removed by hand. On my 1KZ engine, the filter can't be accessed easily except from the top, so only a cap wrench style will work to get a good grip on the filter. It's definitely 15 flutes... I thought it was a 100mm x 15, but that's too big. The next size down I can find is a 93mm or a 90mm, both of which seem like they might be too small since the 100 mm was close. Since I didn't have the right sized cap wrench, I debated just punching a screw driver through the side to remove the filter, but instead opted for the safer route of removing the fuel filter to get more space and it still just barely worked. I want to get the correct sized cap wrench instead in case it happens again.

Try using a strap wrench ... mine is perfect for this kind of thing.
not enough room to tighten it and move the handle... I need something where I can grab the filter from the top, otherwise I have to start moving components out of the way... which can be done, just takes longer.

I use a large set of channel locks that open to about 5-6” and grab it fro the top and slowly loosen it up until hand tight and go the rest by hand. Works well for me.

I use a large set of channel locks that open to about 5-6” and grab it fro the top and slowly loosen it up until hand tight and go the rest by hand. Works well for me.
I'll have to buy a larger set of channel locks. I tried that solution but my largest ones wouldn't open wide enough. This would clearly be the cheapest and most versatile solution.

I did find the right cap wrench from Toyota, but it's $35 plus overseas shipping. Unfortunately the details don't divulge the size so I can find something cheaper. I know it's slightly less than 100mm but not sure how much less. Here's the official Toyota tool:

You can use a strap with an extension and a ratchet. A wrench for a specific filter size is a poor investment IMO as there are approximately 100000000 different filter sizes out there. The multi grip/channel lock style are nice but often can’t get them in there. The best ones are this style - excellent for tight spaces
9779693-21.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom