Fender Flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys, I like the look of fender flares but don't want to do any trimming of my wheel wells. Are there any available that don't require trimming? Thanks! ;)

I was wondering the same question, specificly the ones CCOT sells, bushwackers. I can't imagine why you would have to trim the tub back if you didn't wan't to? I suppose if you didn't you might see the tub hanging down below the fender flare, but to me it looks like it wouldn't? I also want to put a pair on my rig, but don't want to trim the tub back?

http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/fenderflairs.html

Matt

For FJ40s, Specter off road has a couple of choices for you. One flare gives 2 1/2 inches of coverage and is made of urethane. They also have fiberglass ones with an unspecifed, yet clearly smaller, amount of coverage. www.sor.com

I'll throw in on this one. What about flares for a 55? I have not found any mouldede model that fit specifically, but there are some polyurethane ones that can be cut to fit. Anyone have any experience with them? I think its SOR as mentioned by gashog. How do they fit and is it worth the 40 bones per set?

I got a set of flares from Pacer. You should be able to order them from your local auto parts store. They have a few different extrusion types available that will fit either 40, 55, or 60. You do have to modify them a bit, but for $40, it's worth it.
You can see some pics of the extrusions on the JC Whitney site.

While we're on the subject, are there any FJ40 flares that do not require drilling holes in the body? I beleive Auqualu make aluminum flares, they look pretty sweet, unfortunately I haven't been able to dig up much info on them.

I have the SOR flares on my 40. Before I put oversize tires on mine, I attached the flares without cutting. You can see the body behind it a little bit, but for the most part they are not noticeable.. I later cut out the fender when I jumped tire sizes and could not clear the rears anymore.

cut them, in my opinion, if you want flares, than that means you have tires that are bigger and wider and you are going for an off road look, not a stock look, then cut them, if not dont put the flares on.. just my penny..

I do have tires that are taller and wider than stock and yes, I am going for the offroad look. But, I don't ever anticiapte myself in an extreme off-road position where the axle would articulate into the wheel well.

http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/fenderflairs.html

On CCOT's website I think you can see the tub underneath the flare, and from what I can see the tub hasn't been cut.

I can see both points of view, to cut or not to cut. Personally, I don't want to cut it, not that I'm not capable of it, I just don't want to do it. Maybe someday I won't want them anymore?

Matt

Hey Sparky!
Good tip on the flares from JC. What size did you get and did you use the steel reinforced model? Not a bad price either. I've got over 6" of lift and 35x12.5 so I don't think I am street legal. Have not had a problem yet but I want to put some flares on before I get a ticket! Thanks

I've got the UB40 fender flares on my truck from SOR. Used holes that were there from a fender flare installed ages ago. My fenders are cut, but not very agressively. I actually didn't know they were cut at all until I got out a tape measure and compared with a known stocker. I like the flares, and I bet they would look fine without cutting the fenders, but If I had not already had the holes in the body I wouldn't have installed them. Unless a body part is easily replaceable or insignificant, I try to abstain from drilling.

I just put bushwacker flares on my new aluminium tub. I didn't cut the wheel wells but did drill for mounting screws. I figured it's an easy fix if someone decides to take them off.
FYI, I ordered them from JTOutfitters who has given me great service and prices. He (Joe) also gave me a hint on painting the part of the fender that hangs down inside the fender flare flat black if you don't cut them.
I know they have had a lot of negitive feedback from this forum but I have always recieved good advice and promt delivery. Bill

We, here in Pakistan, get steel ones made here.. These are made according to the tires and the vehicle.. All custom work.. Takes time and a little more money but works very good.. :)
Ehsan

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=7752;start=msg65278#msg65278 date=1069278283]
Hey Sparky!
Good tip on the flares from JC. What size did you get and did you use the steel reinforced model? Not a bad price either. I've got over 6" of lift and 35x12.5 so I don't think I am street legal. Have not had a problem yet but I want to put some flares on before I get a ticket! Thanks
[/quote]

I have a 40, so I used the surface mount style. I had to notch the extrusion in a few places to get the bends right. From your picture, you could use the fender lip mount style. I would imagine that the steel reinforced model would allow you to have better control over the shape (and add stiffness). To see pictures of the 4 styles (that I could find anyway), here's the link:

www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
ProductDisplay?productId=1256&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101

(looks like the string is a little too long for the URL tool, just cut and paste twice)
I didn't order from JC, they are just a good research tool to find stuff. I got my parts next day from a local supplier chain here in the Detroit area (Murray's). I hope this helps...

Hey Ehsan, do you have any photos of your steel fender flares? I would love to see how they look.

Jeremy

Thanks Sparky. I just need to measure the total distance of my wheel wells and order it up. What have you found works well as mud flaps. Nothing loud and obnoxious, clean and funtional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom